PDA

View Full Version : A new type of 12V down light

Nic0
16th September 2004, 02:00 AM
In the latest Jaycar flyer i found a replacement for halogen downlights, these things have 20 light emitting diodes in them and are compareable to a 15 Watt halogen, the advantage is they only draw around 2 watts so you could run a **** tin of them of them off one transformer. They are on special for $10 at the moment over the internet.

MR-16 lamp (http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ZD0315&CATID=33&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=705)

MarkV
16th September 2004, 09:46 PM
Personally I would like to see them in the flesh to check out the quality of the light. As for running multiple lights of one tranny. Why would you bother as you get light and tranny as a set cheap enough and you run the risk of catching some poor bugger out in the future when they replace a bulb/s and overload the circuit. :eek:

TOMARTOM
16th September 2004, 09:57 PM
I use one of those Mercury Vapour lights, I think they range from 250-400 watts. I have noticed that down here in SA a lot of those lights people used in hydroponics are being sold very cheap, around $20. I am not sure if they are the same design but it might be worth a try. Could even grow hair on people's head that are hair deficient!!

Regards tony

vsquizz
16th September 2004, 10:11 PM
Personally I would like to see them in the flesh to check out the quality of the light. As for running multiple lights of one tranny. Why would you bother as you get light and tranny as a set cheap enough and you run the risk of catching some poor bugger out in the future when they replace a bulb/s and overload the circuit. :eek:
Mark, I recently bought two halogen down lights for my computer desk and paid a Motza. Whats a good brand and price?? Iv'e been so impressed by the lights, after putting lower wattage bulbs in (nearly cooked me desk) that I'm going to remove the old scungy dingle dangle thing in the slave chambe...oops, Main Bedroom and put in some more down lights.

Cheers

GCP310
17th September 2004, 08:47 AM
i will have to check these out. i have 10 HPM uplights set into my concrete driveway. these would look pretty smart instead of the standard halogen bulbs. I hope they come in blue.

G

Theva
17th September 2004, 09:57 AM
They are efficient - consume 12 watts not 2W and long life. Eqv standard MR16 need to be around 50W for same light output.

Added advantage is that all LEDs will not fail together so you get a warning. do not expect a uniform light beam, it is more like a 25deg spot but high visibility.

Regards,

Theva

Slavo
17th September 2004, 10:21 AM
Squizzy,

I would think twice before putting down lights in the bedroom and instead put in a simple oyster light (personal preference of course). Downlights only light a certain area where oyster lights give a softer ambient light throughout the room. Unless you have a downlight directly overhead, they will cast a shadow when you are reading a book in bed. Plus a dimmer switch is cheaper ($12) for a normal light compared to a dimmer fo a low voltage down light ($50-60). So unless you want to put something under the spotlight in your bedroom, I would stick to an oyster light.

Slavo

bitingmidge
17th September 2004, 10:46 AM
Slavo,

For what it's worth, we have had 12v downlights as reading lights over the bed for over 15 years.

First time we used a focus-able fitting which was relatively expensive, but in our current house have a simple $25.00 eyeball with a dimmer.

Positioned about 600 off the wall and more-or-less in line with the edge of the bed, light can be directed to suit your personal "reading style".

Keep them about half dimmed if not actually reading and they have quite a soft light.

Of course you need other lights for general illumination, in our current situation three 12v wall washers.

How do the LED's go for dimming?

Cheers,

P

vsquizz
17th September 2004, 12:27 PM
Thanks Slavo and Pete.

So how much should I pay for a standard downlight. I'm sure, on the ones I put in my computer desk ($40.00 ea), that the packaging said "dimmable" on the 240 volt side so a standard dimmer would work.

Most LED's respond directly to voltage so should be dimmable. Noticed you can get LED trailer/truck lights from Hella now.

I might go with the oyster light. I have seen them but what do they use for the illuming bit. Is it Halogen? or can you use a tungsten replacement longlife flouro??. Have no idea whats in them.

Cheers

Slavo
17th September 2004, 01:55 PM
Squizzy,

My mate is a sparky and gets his down lights with transformer for $21 each. When I get home I will see what brand they are. He put some in an RSL about 3 years ago, which are on just about 24/7 and they haven't blown a globe yet. Plus the surround is powdercoated and not painted, so they stay a nice white colour and don't yellow like the cheaper painted ones.

We bought a couple of oyster lights that take 2 normal bulbs but I have seen them with those circular flouros

MarkV
25th September 2004, 12:06 AM
Sorry Squizz haven't been watching this thread. Pierlite make good ones for about $20 with a dimmer about $15 bucks Low voltage are the go as the bulbs are cheap. About $5 and available at Woolies. Try jaycar.com.au and type in downlight and it will give you some idea of prices and options and for GCP10 they have coloured ones:cool: I personally have always used regular dimmers as the low voltage dimmers are too exxy and not really needed. All the Leccy's I have talked too do the same. Been running for years now and no probs at all.

seriph1
25th September 2004, 11:19 AM
it's estimated that LED lighting will take over from all other in the not-too-distant-future..... far more efficient apparently and longer lasting

- I paid $13 per kit last time I bought (24) ELV Downlights

Slavo
27th September 2004, 09:36 AM
The downlights my sparky mate uses are called aussie gimbals and he gets them from his wholesaler. It is preferential that the surround is powder coated rather than painted, because it wont change colour over time.
Aparently LEDs are getting really popular in places like Japan and it will only be a matter of time before Australia gets into the act.

Nic0
27th September 2004, 07:42 PM
Most of the level crossings and traffic lights on the North side of Brisbane are using LEDs. You can even buy LEDs with a bayonet fitting on the end to replace the brake lights in your car.

GCP310
27th September 2004, 10:33 PM
the speed limit signs in melbourne are LED Based now.

G

Danster
26th October 2004, 02:09 PM
Not sure if I'm too late on this thread...was just reading it now.

I bought a 12v halogen kit for $12 includes the surround, the bulb and transformer. On special at Harvey Norman Lighting.
I replaced an old incandescent hanging affair. I must say it looks good.

Question...The transformer only has a place to insert the +ve and -ve wires. What do I do with the green/yellow earth wire? Theres about 4cm of the earth hanging out on its ownsome from the white cable that carries all three. The red & black are (obviously) inserted into the transformer.

cheers

Fat Pat
26th October 2004, 03:23 PM
Thick Dental Floss?

seriph1
26th October 2004, 08:05 PM
bend it back on itself and tape it up with insulation tape - better than cutting it off in case you fit another light later on. - from memory the trannies are double insulated and therefore not requiring an earth, I believe(but I am great at beaing wrong!)....... of course, none of us are meant to fit them - only sparkies are allowed that great privelege in this country (and of course the 3 dozen or so in my place were ALL fited by electricians!!!!!)

:D:D:D:D

marineman
8th January 2005, 05:35 PM
Nico (or any of the other readers) did you get a chance to try the led lights? any comments on performance etc? would be great to hear how you went.

cheers

Nic0
9th January 2005, 05:13 PM
My local Jaycar sold out, and the last time I went there, they only had the automotive LED brake/tail lights which is a good idea if you do a lot of 4x4 work or have big subwoofers in your car boot.

The downlights are $29.95 on the web for the white ones, (color are cheaper) which I think is a bit pricey, considering you can get regular ones for around 50 cents. If they come on special again I might try them. They have red, yellow, white, blue and green. Here is the new link to the white ones. Downlight (http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ZD0320&CATID=&keywords=mr%2D16&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=)