PDA

View Full Version : hmm should i get a new lathe

new_guy90
12th April 2010, 08:12 PM
hey everyone i haven't done posted here in some time and i haven't been doing much turning in awhile but i had a job this weekend and it really made me want to do some more but my lathe is a POS its an old bar bed thing i posted it here before i blew the motor up not long ago its running on my old grinder lol oh and the vibration is just to bad if i take to much of a cut the work starts running out and chattering not cool if i turn it off then the next time i turn it on the work is running out again what gives so i picked up my Carba-Tec catalog and dreamed of that yellow mini lathe only $320 hmm maybe ill splurge and pick one up well just got on the Carba-Tec website (http://www.carbatec.com.au/carba-tec-economy-mini-lathe_c19865) its on special till this weekend :oo: a full $80 less than what i thought aw to hell with it i want it so bad :C but the sensible side of me needs to ask is this lathe going to be a sensible investment its size is great for me no problem there its just mechanical as they say am i going to get problems soon?

the sensible side also want to know is the jet worth the extra cash?

please someone i don't need much convincing should i jump and get it?

Sawdust Maker
12th April 2010, 09:43 PM
Yep
I reckon you should get a new lathe :2tsup:

as to the rest of your questions I can't really say

Reece
12th April 2010, 10:30 PM
you should always get a new lathe :D

i've got a carbatec mini lathe that i'm very happy with. i've done a lot of pens on it, the odd goblet, the occasional candlestick and quite a few bowls. it's a pretty tough little machine i reckon. i've had mine for almost a year now without a hiccup.

now it sits alongside a nova 1624-44, and has been re named 'old yella'

not sure how it stands up alongside the jet, but i've never had any issues with mine.

tea lady
12th April 2010, 11:09 PM
Are the yellow ones Woodfast? :? (Oh no. :doh: Economy carbatec. :shrug: Haven't turned on one of those. ) I've turned on 's "little yella". Its great. Its the one he uses for demos around the place. They have a "Medium yella" at knox woodworkers, and its great too. The couple of little Jets they have are OK!

But I reckon a medium lathe would be better. :C You will so feel that a mini lathe is too small.

fxst
13th April 2010, 12:55 AM
my big lathe is being used as a bench :( and my mini from ozmestore is good and has been for 3 years does the pens nice and the odd small item (egg cups goblets etc ) Maybe I should avertise the big un? oh well just more toys :D
cheers
Pete

issatree
13th April 2010, 01:30 AM
Hi Patrick,
It even sounds like a POS.
My way would be to go for " The Woodfast Variable ".
Quite a few more $'s, but I think in the long run, you would be a very happy person.
Even "The Woodfast Midi Lathe " would be good as it is very easy to get to the Belt to change the Speed. Much easier than the one C/Tec have.
My Ledacraft is almost the same, & is time consuming to change the Speed. Also, you have to be very careful, that the belt is exactly in the right groves, or it will split & that will cost you $19?, & the time to change it.
One other thing, don't make the belt to tight or the Lathe Head will get very HOT, & it will burn if you touch it.
I open the 2 side belt panels to let the air get to it so as to keep it cool.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Texian
13th April 2010, 02:00 PM
Simple matter of priorities Patrick.

rsser
13th April 2010, 03:44 PM
Patrick, don't be panicked into making a choice.

Do do a search on Jet mini/midi on this forum. My recollection is that there has been misgivings posted here about one of those models.

There does seem to be a loyal following of the WF midi, manual version. The EVS as issatree posted seems good on paper but I haven't read reports of its performance. From memory David Mitchell has used one; might be worth a PM to him.

artme
13th April 2010, 06:48 PM
I have a Jet Mini And am more than happy with it for small turning work.

The Jet Midi has had a few problems from what I have read, mainly centre alignment problems.

Problem with minis and midis is that you can't turn big stuphph.

new_guy90
13th April 2010, 09:33 PM
its settled ill get the Carba Tec mini lathe

its size is great for what i do exactly the size i want ill try and get it soon

Calm
13th April 2010, 09:35 PM
looks like it is on a par with the same quality of the generic MC 900/1100

The maximum sizes are limited to - diameter 10 inches - length 17 inches and only 1/2 HP motor. 5 speeds from 500 to 3200 RPM will not give a lot of choice but for the money probably an improvement on what you have.

The question you need to answer is - Does your work fit into these measurements? if the answer is yes then go for it. If not then maybe a secondhand lathe would be a better buy.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Texian
14th April 2010, 02:32 AM
Is the new Delta 46-460 available there? Lots of favorable comment on it in the U.S.

Reece
14th April 2010, 08:43 AM
question for new_guy90:

what sort of things do you generally turn?

new_guy90
14th April 2010, 08:09 PM
to Texian no we don't get the Delta lathes over here but we have some similar machines

i only make small things thats why this lathe is prefect for me here are a few things i have made
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/Stag_hound27/wood%20working/100_0190.jpg
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/Stag_hound27/wood%20working/100_0692.jpg
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/Stag_hound27/wood%20working/Brazilianwoodpen011.jpg

like i said only small stuff i dont do bowls or anything

Reece
14th April 2010, 08:25 PM
very nice, the mini lathe will be perfect for that sort of stuff

new_guy90
18th April 2010, 11:22 AM
i had a big day yesterday so i couldn't post this but i had called Carba Tec yesterday morning to ask if they still had there economy mini lathe in stock :( they didnt so i asked about the wood fast mini lathe that was also on sale and they did have it in stock :U so i took a drive out and got it :D man what a good lathe it is i haven't had a chance to turn anything but i did turn it on and have a play with the belt changing i still cant believe how quiet it is!!!! my old lathe would wake the whole house!!!! i have pictures to come soon thanks everyone for reading :2tsup:

artme
18th April 2010, 12:09 PM
Good for you n-g90!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Have heaps of fun!!

new_guy90
18th April 2010, 04:21 PM
well here it is at home on the table where the old lathe was
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/Stag_hound27/wood%20working/100_0909.jpg

i still haven't turned anything yet i have to clean up a bit more maybe ill spin some wood tonight here are some supplies my mother picked out for pens at Carba Tec
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/Stag_hound27/wood%20working/100_0911.jpg

oh here is the lathe its replacing i shortened the bed after this picture was taken
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/Stag_hound27/wood%20working/100_0699.jpg

and here is my other lathe :D
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/Stag_hound27/Metal%20Lathe/100_0830.jpg

benupton
18th April 2010, 04:57 PM
The mini lathe is bigger than i thought looks cool tho. :2tsup:

Texian
18th April 2010, 05:12 PM
Good looking "other lathe" but it looks way too clean. Happy new wood lathe.

Ed Reiss
19th April 2010, 12:46 PM
right Patrick, any time you feel like dumping that other lathe, I'll take it off your hands for a small fee :;:D:D

Happy turning with the yellow beast :2tsup:

rodent
24th April 2010, 10:30 AM
Patrick what can i say a small lath cannot do big things but quite often i don't do big things but as not all things are equal i have 1 mc1100 1 carbatec mini 1 riobi 320 and theirs crazyskews record dl24 .yes that's 4 lathes in a small area but there all used and my carbatec mini is mounted on a small 2 draw cupird with legs at one end and a super cheep trolly mounted at the other end . It was designed to be taken to turning events . ask he has seen it .

new_guy90
24th April 2010, 11:56 AM
lol 4 lathes i could only dream if i have 4 they would be metal lathes much more expensive to run :D soon i think ill weld up a proper bench as i have been using that old desk for ages now and i think i should make better space and it will be good practice for when i make the metal lathes stand more sturdy its very flimsy right now believe me

Rodent have you got pictures of your shop in the show us your shed thread? i dont think i have seen it

tea lady
24th April 2010, 12:04 PM
:wave: That little lathe is the one also has. Its real good. :2tsup::cool:

What do you make on your metal lathe? :)

new_guy90
24th April 2010, 12:16 PM
What do you make on your metal lathe? :)

everyone asks that and the sad fact is i dont make much right now the last thing i made were some pins for a breast drill i was fixing small things like that but i want to make more tools with it so thats why im going to try and fix the stand first so i can level the bed they have to be dead straight to do the best work and right now that is a PTA to do so down it will come soon and ill weld some supports and make it stronger then hopefully ill be able to make the things i have been wanting to do for ages like a few ornamental turning jigs and a box threading jig oh and i have to use it to re-thread my old nova chuck insert for the new lathe but i think ill try and do that at work or pay the $30 for a new one lol