PDA

View Full Version : Extended table for thicknesser

mat
16th September 2004, 02:31 PM
I am considering building in a melamine coated board that sits on the standard thicknesser table (portable thicknesser) and extends out in both directions some distance. The purpose being to reduce snipe and eliminate any step from the standard thicknesser table to any extension tables. The board would obvioulsy have to be secured to stop it being pushed out of the machine. It would also be easier to ensure that the total surface was absolutely level or slightly uphill at the ends.

I have seen this concept described as a method of thicknessing thin pieces but can see the benefit for all thicknessing work. It would decrease the height capacity but if this were not critical I could see great benefit.

ANY THOUGHTS?? :confused:

silentC
16th September 2004, 02:38 PM
Mat,

I've had the identical thought this morning. It was prompted by a conversation I had with Termite. He uses a bit of melamine to raise the level of the table allowing a thinner cut. I was wondering what would stop me from putting a longer sheet in permanently like you suggest. Can't see any problem with the idea apart from the loss of height.

himzol
16th September 2004, 02:48 PM
Guys,

Have a look at this,

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/plan-pm.htm

regards,

Himzo.

bitingmidge
16th September 2004, 02:56 PM
It works well for me.

FWW had a similar device a good few years ago, that was built on a quite complicated stand with a gazillion adjustment screws so you could get everything perfect..... I haven't found the need thus far! ;)

I could probably rustle up a copy, but think the above link should do just about anyone!

Cheers,

P

Sturdee
16th September 2004, 07:42 PM
I am considering building in a melamine coated board that sits on the standard thicknesser table (portable thicknesser) and extends out in both directions some distance. ANY THOUGHTS?? :confused:

Mat,

I build one ages ago and use it mainly for thin and/or short pieces. Works a treat. It is a removable one.

I used two 16mm thick pieces of chipboard, 880 mm long , glued together and laminated with laminex. The front piece is slightly wider than the back. This stops it being pushed through the thicknesser.

If you want more details let me know and I'll take some photos.

Peter.

Barry_White
16th September 2004, 08:17 PM
This is a post of my stand but included in the post is one that another member made as you describe.

Have a look.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=10696&highlight=Thicknesser+Stand

Interwood
17th September 2004, 12:44 AM
Hi Sturdee,

I'm new to the thicknessing game and would apprecaite some photos of your thicknesser and board / jig.

Sturdee
17th September 2004, 07:27 PM
Interwood.

Here are the photos of my thicknesser set up as requested.

Photo 1 shows the basic set up. The thicknesser is bolted to a L shaped bench which divides two sections of the workshop and connects to a set of braced stumps which supports the beams. I have about 2.5 metres of room in front and behind the bench and for long pieces I use supports.

Photo 2 shows the front of the machine with the jig in place.

Photo 3 shows the back view.

Photo 4 shows the jig. It was made by glueing two 16mm pieces of chipboard and than laminating the top witrh laminex. The 2 holes are so that I can hang it on the wall out of the way when not needed.

It is heavy enough so that it does not need any clamping and you'll notice that the back part is narrower than the front. This stops it being pulled through as the two lips are caught by the timber guide in the machine. Very easy to make, sizes depends on your machine and the space available.

Peter.

maswindell
4th October 2004, 10:24 AM
Hello to all, this is my first post. I'm from the states so be easy on the language.

Here's a link which explains what you're trying to avoid, snipe.

http://www.woodisourart.com/planer/planer.htm

Here's also my solution to my miter saw and new Delta Planer.

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuv16/HPIM2615.sized.jpg

Very informative forum, I shall return again

Mike

DanP
4th October 2004, 12:11 PM
Now theres a shed I can identify with. Sh@t everywhere. :D

Welcome to the board Maswindell. A great place to waste hours of time you should be spending in the shed. ;)

Dan.

maswindell
5th October 2004, 08:12 AM
I cleaned the garrage on Saturday and found my workbench ! ! Has that ever happened to you ?:D

I know my USA geography but not Australia, maybe I should start now. I stayed in Perth for 5 weeks some 10 years ago on work and really liked the area. Aussie's are quite fun to be around and have a few beers with, much better than here in the USA.

DanP
5th October 2004, 11:01 AM
Has that ever happened to you ?:D

NOPE. :rolleyes:

Not since I built it about six months ago anyway.

much better than here in the USA.

That's coz you've only got Yanks to drink with over there. :p

Dan

Toggy
5th October 2004, 10:32 PM
Maswindell,

You know how to say the right things. You should get on OK here.

Ken