PDA

View Full Version : For port lovers

rsser
13th April 2010, 01:44 PM
The local Dan Murphy has recently got stocks in of a tawny that I've not seen before: a 16 year old Reynella. It's $10 for a half bottle and a bargain at that price.

Maybe other outlets have it too. Worth a look.

The Bleeder
13th April 2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks Ern. Will check on the way home.

Waldo
13th April 2010, 02:07 PM
:2tsup: Ern. Just about finished my Green Stones and I alternate between it and tawny. Any ideas on if it is good stuff or not?

rsser
13th April 2010, 02:12 PM
(cough) would I be posting here without a rigorous evaluation? :D

It beats the bejesus out of any $20 a bottle tawny locally available.

Waldo
13th April 2010, 02:15 PM
:2tsup: Just gotta find Dan on my travels on Thursday.

So rigourous testing didn't involve spitting like the wine toffs?

rsser
13th April 2010, 02:26 PM
Ah no, Waldo. You have to test the alcohol concentration as well ;-}

The benchmark for an old Aus tawny for me used to be the Seppelts. Haven't seen it for years now, and it was certainly not the current version. Maybe 10-15 years ago? Had an old fashioned label and perhaps a peculiar bin no.

The Reynella has a fuller body, a little on the syrupy side, and doesn't have the rancio character of the old Seppelts. But that was $25-30 way back when.

There's also the Reynella Vintage Port, around $25, which is also a fave. But that one needs 15 years cellaring from the vintage date.

Waldo
11th May 2010, 02:55 PM
Ern, this Rynella - it's bottle or flask?

Asking as I'm looking around for it. Mind you, asking blokes at bottle shops about a 16 yr old port that's around $10 a pop has them scratching their heads when boofhead forgot to write the name down before I went looking. :B

rsser
11th May 2010, 03:08 PM
Waldo, as posted, Dan Murphy. Half bottles.

By 'other outlets' I meant other Dan Murphys; sorry, should have made that clear.

Waldo
11th May 2010, 03:39 PM
:2tsup: Ern. Now to go and some of the stuff.

vk3em
6th March 2011, 09:43 PM
Stumbled across this thread, and was in Dan's today so purchased one of the 375ml bottles. Still at the same price $10.

Luke

rsser
11th March 2011, 05:45 PM
Yeah, my local Mr Murphy still has it too.

Must've been a pretty big batch someone stumbled over in Reynella's shed!

I still think it's good value but the sweetness is not a plus.

The Portuguese late bottled vintage ports are still the humdingers in my book but the price means v. special occasion only.

rsser
16th March 2011, 03:36 PM
Another good value port you might find around about is Peter Lehmann's 'The King' which is a 1996 vintage.

The local DM used to have stock but no longer. A local bottle shop still has some at $23 for 750ml.

It's at its peak now, with good choc and licorice flavours.

Like any vintage port at its peak it needs to be handled gently before decanting and drinking within a day or two. So it's a drop to share.

Goes well with a mild blue cheese after dinner :)

burraboy
3rd April 2011, 10:00 PM
Ah.... good Ports. I remember the days when we used to buy Brown Bros in 10 litre casks....

3RU
3rd April 2011, 10:34 PM
When I think Back ..... so to speak for old hams !

Was it Rinecastle (down near radio parts) in Victoria Street for a great Port? The bin number has been erased with alcohol but it was $3 a flagon back in 1978.

Dave

Robson Valley
25th November 2012, 05:51 AM
What comes out of the Rutherglen district these days?
Chambers made port that I liked in the early 1970's.
Morris' Liqueur Muscat was my fav.

_fly_
25th November 2012, 06:09 AM
If you want fortified you can't go past stanton & killeen.
They are still there in Rutherglen.
They can't make a normal wine, but fortified is fantastic.

Welcome! (http://www.stantonandkilleenwines.com.au/)

Sir Stinkalot
25th November 2012, 09:47 AM
I tend to agree :)

rsser
25th November 2012, 10:23 AM
Nice one Stinkalot.

Dan Murphy stocks S&K vintage ports still, with enough age to show its promise.

S&K also do a stonking Durif. Not everyone's cuppa.

rsser
25th November 2012, 06:17 PM
Just an update re OP:

it wasn't on the shelves for a while at my local DM but is back again. Staff say it's the last.

Seems to me to be a new bottling. Has more mouthfeel. Perhaps a bit sweeter?

Still stunning value.

burraboy
17th December 2012, 06:31 PM
The local Dan Murphy has recently got stocks in of a tawny that I've not seen before: a 16 year old Reynella. It's $10 for a half bottle and a bargain at that price.

These were advertised last week through the Woolworths reward scheme. $10 each with free delivery. I got a half dozen, very nice. They're still about.

rsser
17th December 2012, 07:41 PM
Good score.

I haven't seen the old Reynella Vintage Ports for some time sadly. With 15 years on them (apart from the '79) they were fabulous.

Hardy's don't seem to do theirs any more either.

A good Portuguese Late Bottled Vintage is in a diff. league, and price bracket :( , but great for a special occasion.

stewart59
17th December 2012, 09:31 PM
I'm not a fan of Portuguese Late Bottled Vintage. That's a marketing name for their cheaper stuff. The real stuff is Portuguese Vintage Port. Of course you can pay hundreds a bottle for it. But if you buy it through Langton's auctions and share the cost of a bottle at say $100 with a few friends, you'll be amazed. Nothing like any Australian Port I've tasted. More like a deep fruity table wine with great length.

Stewart

rsser
17th December 2012, 10:04 PM
Disagree. LBV is not the same as a vintage. It's a cross btwn that and a tawny (more oak ageing than a vintage, less than a tawny) and a good one at DM will set you back around $45.

burraboy
18th December 2012, 07:31 AM
Try this link; Château Reynella 16 Year Old Rare Old Tawny 375mL | Dan Murphy's | Buy Wine, Champagne, Beer & Spirits Online (http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_338395/ch-teau-reynella-16-year-old-rare-old-tawny-375ml)
There's plenty of these in stock.

rsser
18th December 2012, 08:32 AM
Yep - see post #16.

But that's an oddity, a single-year tawny, not a vintage port. The only other IIRC was the classic Para port.

burraboy
7th December 2013, 08:13 PM
It seems the 16yo is all done, all finished, but a 10yo replacement is on the shelves, could be worth a try.

rsser
8th December 2013, 09:34 AM
There were a few bottles back in my local store a few weeks back. You can always check online.

Foo
26th December 2013, 10:26 AM
I picked up three bottles of the 16yr stuff back in August and I have to say, that was dam nice.:2tsup:

Foo

stewart59
26th December 2013, 10:57 AM
Can Murphy at Burwood, NSW has the Reynella 10 yr old Vintage in 375ml for about $12 . Last time I tried it I thought it was good value.
Cheers