PDA

View Full Version : any ideas on turning epoxy ?

JDarvall
14th April 2010, 11:01 AM
Got an idea and it involves turning a mould of epoxy.

What are some problems associated with turning epoxy between centres you reakon ?

appreciate your thoughts

thanks

HazzaB
14th April 2010, 11:17 AM
Hey Apricottripper,

How big a mould are you talking???

I could only guess that you would have to sure that the Epoxy has cured properly and is hard before you start, and you use the right type of epoxy (There are heaps of different recipes, all called epoxy) I made a mistake of trying to turn up some pens with an epoxy mixture that goes extra hard when applied as per manufacturers guide lines, but when the application is changed so does the reaction of the epoxy. I could not get the stuff to polish up. Maybe some one with more experiance can help but maybe Acrylic might be you answer.

HazzaB

rsser
14th April 2010, 11:54 AM
Hmm, what's its tensile strength?

I've turned some pure epoxy fills in wood and it takes the edge of the tool pretty quick. 50/50 with coffee grounds worked better.

Ed Reiss
14th April 2010, 12:08 PM
You might want to give Fiberglass Resin a try (available at any auto parts place)...it can be tinted with resin dye (available at crafts stores).

i've used it quite a bit in past with no problems. Just ensure that it has hardened sufficently before cutting and especially sanding.

Pic attached of the last piece I employed tinted resin to inlay palm ivory slices into a channel

Good luck

JDarvall
14th April 2010, 06:33 PM
thanks kindly

I'll give it a go.

artme
14th April 2010, 08:14 PM
Good grief Ed! You hide your talents too well. That is Gorgeous!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ed Reiss
15th April 2010, 12:30 PM
Flattery will get you nowhere Arthur :no::no:

you must have been treking the wilds of SA when it was posted...thanks for your kind comment:D

brendan stemp
15th April 2010, 05:20 PM
I've turned epoxy extensively. PM me.

Mulgabill
15th April 2010, 05:52 PM
I've turned epoxy extensively. PM me.
G'day Brendan!
I will pick your brains on this topic at the "You Turn" on the 1st - 3rd May.
See you then!

gal turner
16th April 2010, 05:46 AM
You might want to give Fiberglass Resin a try (available at any auto parts place)...it can be tinted with resin dye (available at crafts stores).

i've used it quite a bit in past with no problems. Just ensure that it has hardened sufficently before cutting and especially sanding.

Pic attached of the last piece I employed tinted resin to inlay palm ivory slices into a channel

Good luck WOW love the look of the inlay on the walnut bowl:2tsup:

NeilS
16th April 2010, 03:02 PM
Hi Jake

Yes, Brendan is the expert... see here (http://www.brendanstemp.com.au/grinders.html).

JDarvall
16th April 2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks kindly for the ideas. let the idea float for a while. Can't do it right now.

thanks

Jake