PDA

View Full Version : Bowls with Nice Bottoms.

tea lady
16th April 2010, 12:50 AM
With a recent acquisition of a set of Cole Jaws, I could finally finish the bottoms of my bowls. :cool: So here are them.:U

First a little Hakea bowl finished in Shellawax. ~ 100mmm wide. The line's a bit funny. But it is what it is now. :cool:

A little flattish bowl out of a kitchen bench off cut. Approx 140mm wide. Shellawax again.
134857 134858

Blackwood bowl, with a sapwood patch.:cool: 210mm wide. Shallawax.

tea lady
16th April 2010, 01:09 AM
The next two are the finished bowls from this (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/green-turning-cherry-116051/) thread.

Vic Wood's Elm Bowl. I have to call it Vic Wood's cos it was green turned by him. I just took the thick bits off.:cool: Elm's a funny wood. A bit fluffy, but hard. (Sorry about the intellectual terms there. :rolleyes: ) I finished it in Hard Burnishing Oil. The sap wood line around it has got some great catoiance happening.:cool:

The Pseudo Acacia bowl with "notch". 200mm wide. Finished in hard burnishing oil too. It also has some great figure. There is a patch of quilting under the grain. Very interesting. Will have to see if I can get some more. :cool:

mkypenturner
16th April 2010, 01:41 AM
very nice :2tsup:
those cole jaws make working on the bases very easy

troy

Ad de Crom
16th April 2010, 04:33 AM
Anna Maria, nice set of bowls. The hakea bowl has indeed a funny line, but why not.
The cole jaws works great huh for working at the bottom. I made them myself years ago.
The flattish bowl made out of the kitchen bench is very attractive, as it is massif wood.
In these modern time they are mostly made out of MDF with a thin layer veneer, but they sell them as massif (cheat). Are you lucky or not.
Regards, Ad

gal turner
16th April 2010, 05:43 AM
yep, cole jaws are one of the great inventions of our time! Makes bowl turning much much easier. Glad you got one & good luck , let's see more bowl bottoms!!!:D

artme
16th April 2010, 07:46 AM
Have to agree with Ad, especially on the "bench" bowl.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I think The funny line on the Hakea bowl is exaggerated by the grain pattern. Nice bit of timber,

Claw Hama
16th April 2010, 07:52 AM
They all look fantastic TL, great work, keep the photos coming:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
16th April 2010, 09:15 AM
Very Nice work TL

I've a set of cole jaws which I'll sell as soon as I make a Longworth chuck

mick61
16th April 2010, 09:53 AM
G`day Tea Lady they are very nice could you please show us the bottoms from the bottom. Cole jaws are great you could also jam chuck bowls of that size.
Mick:D

Ed Reiss
16th April 2010, 11:43 AM
you've been busy TL...good job on all of 'em :2tsup:

Ozkaban
16th April 2010, 11:46 AM
Lovely bowls there TL!

I'm actually quite taken with the bench offcut laminated bowl. Looks very nice :2tsup:

Gotta get me some of those Cole Jaws at some point...

Cheers,
Dave

Texian
16th April 2010, 02:16 PM
Well somebody has to say it. Late at night here so - - You have a lovely bottom T.L.

But seriously, some very nice work!

Have made two Longworth chucks and never use them now. Easier to use friction chuck, jam chuck, or doughnut chuck. Well, the doughtnut chuck takes a little time but works well and cheaper than a vacuum chuck.

Sawdust Maker
16th April 2010, 09:52 PM
Richard
Why don't you use the Longworths?

tea lady
16th April 2010, 10:12 PM
G`day Tea Lady they are very nice could you please show us the bottoms from the bottom. Cole jaws are great you could also jam chuck bowls of that size.
Mick:D:doh: Will take more pics tomorrow.:cool:

I guess I could jam chuck 'em, but I never trust me accuracy to get a perfect fit. Its always "a little more! A little more! .....Toooooooooooo much!" :gaah: :rolleyes::D

Chipman
16th April 2010, 10:18 PM
nice bowls Tea Lady.

Just a tip with your cole jaws....keep your fingers well away... A slip while sanding taught me this!!!!

Could possibly wrap it with duct tape so you can't come in contact with those red plastic thingies!

Cheers,

Chipman

tea lady
16th April 2010, 10:24 PM
nice bowls Tea Lady.

Just a tip with your cole jaws....keep your fingers well away... A slip while sanding taught me this!!!!

Could possibly wrap it with duct tape so you can't come in contact with those red plastic thingies!

Cheers,

Chipman

Oh yes! Found the "thingies" already. Mine are black rubber though, which I quickly found left black marks so covered with paper towel. Will have to get some "red thingies". At least they don't mark. Or maybe some white or other material thingies from a hardware shop. :hmm:

Cliff Rogers
17th April 2010, 01:11 AM
Beauty.... :2tsup: now make them smaller.

Turn at least half the foot away & get rid of the dovetail altogether, turn a slope the opposite direction. :wink:

Cliff Rogers
17th April 2010, 01:18 AM
Oh yes! Found the "thingies" already. Mine are black rubber though, which I quickly found left black marks so covered with paper towel. Will have to get some "red thingies". At least they don't mark. Or maybe some white or other material thingies from a hardware shop. :hmm:
I just wrap a bit of masking tape around them.

My really big Vicmarcs have red jaws & I use masking tape on them too.

Řistein
17th April 2010, 03:21 AM
Yes, I´m agree with all the others. You have made really nice bowles Tea Lady.

Texian
17th April 2010, 08:59 AM
Richard
Why don't you use the Longworths?

Nick, Often the "jaws" would not grip very well, depending upon shape of the turning. My "jaws" are tapered rubber stoppers and often had to be turned upside down when switching from inside grip to outside grip and vice-versa.

Most of my pieces have a divot in the center of the tenon from being started between centers, so it is easy to just clamp the piece against a padded flat face plate (friction chuck) to turn off the tenon. The same faceplate (have two sizes) also serves as the faceplate for a doughnut chuck as needed. Also easy to modify one of a dozen jam chucks to fit a new piece. Hope I have just attached photo of a friction/doughnut chuck. Will know in a moment.

Edit: That's the smaller friction/ doughnut in friction chuck mode.

tea lady
17th April 2010, 11:41 AM
Beauty.... :2tsup: now make them smaller.

Turn at least half the foot away & get rid of the dovetail altogether, turn a slope the opposite direction. :wink:I like foot rings sometimes. Some I turned away more. Others I haven't. Will take bottom shots this afternoon.:cool:

I just wrap a bit of masking tape around them.

My really big Vicmarcs have red jaws & I use masking tape on them too.:2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
17th April 2010, 12:01 PM
I like foot rings sometimes. ....
But not 'chunky' like they are wearing Doc Martins. :no:

NeilS
17th April 2010, 02:34 PM
Turn at least half the foot away & get rid of the dovetail altogether, turn a slope the opposite direction.

Yeah, get with this fad of obliterating all evidence of how the piece has been held on the lathe.... and your turning will be elevated from being mere production work to art-craft. Thems the rules. :tongue in cheek smiley here, if I could find one:

As for those early turners and their large and beautifully balanced feet (see attached): how could they get it so wrong!

NeilS
17th April 2010, 03:11 PM
Or maybe some white or other material thingies from a hardware shop. :hmm:

Found the white rubber ones work quite well. Fitted them over dowel (or was it an old broomstick).

tea lady
17th April 2010, 07:41 PM
But not 'chunky' like they are wearing Doc Martins. :no::C I like my foot rings. Looking at them again today I like 'em just the way they are. (I'll just call them "foot ring with bowl.":p ) Was gonna take more pics but I don't know what happened. Looking out the window now and its all dark.:doh: There's always tomorrow I guess.:cool:

munruben
17th April 2010, 08:44 PM
Good work TL you have done a good job.:2tsup::2tsup:

underfoot
18th April 2010, 06:23 AM
Yep, you've got the eye TL, :2tsup: prolly from all that time spent on the pottery wheel.
nice lines and forms, I particularly like 3 and 4.
Now all you need to do is pierce and paint them, give them a funky name, and start doing the demonstration circuit .........no..really

wheelinround
18th April 2010, 08:15 AM
You've come along way AM very nice indeed very feminine looking bowls, the personal classes by masters is doing wonders. I agree get out there and pass on the knowledge :2tsup:

tea lady
18th April 2010, 01:15 PM
Yep, you've got the eye TL, :2tsup: prolly from all that time spent on the pottery wheel.
nice lines and forms, I particularly like 3 and 4.
Now all you need to do is pierce and paint them, give them a funky name, and start doing the demonstration circuit .........no..reallyPaint and pierce? Yuck.:C

You've come along way AM very nice indeed very feminine looking bowls, the personal classes by masters is doing wonders. I agree get out there and pass on the knowledge :2tsup: Not sure about the demo circuit quite yet. Although I found my self telling another person at the woodies club that I could teach her how to use a bowl gouge. And she had started learning before me.:doh: I guess I've just had more turning time, and am staring to see what other people are doing wrong and what they need to do.

Thanks for the nice coments and feed back.:cool:

tea lady
18th April 2010, 08:24 PM
For those who requested. :D
Little hakea.

laminated blackwood.

Blackwood

Elm

Pseado Acacia

I've been thinking about the foot rings, and why I have them the way they are. Perhaps it comes from my ceramic background. And Japanese ceramics and lacquer ware. The foot ring is used like a handle. You hold the soup bowl or tea bowl with your fingers on the foot ring and your thumb on the rim. It keeps your fingers from getting too hot! :cool: Anyway, I still like them the way they are. :p:)

benupton
18th April 2010, 08:37 PM
Very nice, I like the wood used.:2tsup:

powderpost
18th April 2010, 08:53 PM
I like the "foot rings" too. Well done. :2tsup:
Jim

joe greiner
18th April 2010, 10:01 PM
I think we've plowed this ground before, but as a reminder, foot rings help to stabilize bowls against wobbling. If warping occurs in a flat-bottomed bowl, much sanding is needed to restore flatness. With a foot ring, less wood needs to be removed. In some perfect cases, warping may produce three out-of-plane spots (like a tripod), and the bowl is self-stabilizing without any need for such attention. Three deliberately-cut large gaps in the foot ring can produce the same effect.

OTOH, have a squint at the April 2010 "American Woodturner" (AAW Journal) for an article on spherical bottoms, with offset hollows for balancing.

Anybody remember this one from before the space age?

"O Moon! When I look at thy beautiful face,
Careening along through the boundaries of space,
The thought has quite frequently come to my mind,
If ever I'll gaze on thy glorious behind.":D

Cheers,
Joe

woodwork wally
19th April 2010, 09:57 PM
nice job A.M:2tsup:. as an old woodturner once said "a vase or a bowl is like a pretty lady! A nice bottom makes them complete! ":) cheers ww