PDA

View Full Version : Which finnish to use

oakchip
17th April 2010, 12:58 PM
In the process of turning a small flower vase and not sure of the best finnish to use. Looking for something to give a gloss finnsh, but not too shiney. Preferably use the same inside and out, and the inside will obviously need to be highly water proof.

Any tips and advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Oakchip

hughie
17th April 2010, 06:34 PM
Ok, you may have to use two different types to get what you want. A fibre glass or two pack epoxy for the inside to get you water proofing accomplished.

The outside can be done in several different types, say Danish oil with this you can control the shine/lustre or maybe a wipe-on-poly. The poly is very thin and it will require several coats to get a full shine or gloss. That way you will have very good control on the lustre

You could do the whole vase in a Shellawax finish. But you will need at least three coats for the inside and leave them for a few weeks to air harden.

I've heard of a guy who turns goblets in the US finishes them with three coats of Shellawax and after the hardening takes place drinks alcohol out of the goblets.I have yet to try that

oakchip
18th April 2010, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the info Hughie.

I have shellawax and was hoping it might be ok, but wasn't sure. Sounds like the easiest way to go, and I know it will give the amount of shine I'm after. I'll give the inside several coats and drying time as you described.

cheers
Oakchip

brendan stemp
18th April 2010, 02:40 PM
Buy some two pack epoxy for the inside, mix it 50:50 and pour it into the vessel. Tip vessel upside down and pour excess out. Leave upside down until dry. When dry use the two pack epoxy again on the outside and apply it with a rag on the lathe but with lathe off. Dip same rag in linseed oil and with lathe on and going fast buff outside of piece with rag. When dry repeat. This is effectively an instant Danish Oil and will give you a beautiful finish on the outside.

oakchip
19th April 2010, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the advice Brendon.

I will try out this method on another piece I have in mind. The outside finish is interesting. I take it that the resin still sets just as hard even though it is applied with the linseed oil. I imagine that this would make the finish penetrate the wood rather than sit on top as with just the resin.

cheers
Oakchip

robo hippy
20th April 2010, 03:35 AM
The easiest way to make the inside water proof is to find a glass that will fit inside.

robo hippy

joe greiner
20th April 2010, 10:52 PM
What robo hippy said. Cigar tubes, test tubes, paintball tubes. The paintball tubes are plastic, and can easily be cut shorter if necessary. The straight tubes help to hold flowers vertically. OTOH, jam jars also work well, as do cutoff pill bottles. Outside finish can be whatever looks best, independent of inside treatment.

Cheers,
Joe

oakchip
21st April 2010, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the tips guys,

I hadn't thought of using an insert. Will keep that in mind.

cheers
Oakchip

brendan stemp
21st April 2010, 09:32 AM
I take it that the resin still sets just as hard even though it is applied with the linseed oil. I imagine that this would make the finish penetrate the wood rather than sit on top as with just the resin.

cheers
Oakchip

I can't answer that question with any authority but think you are right that the epoxy will be just as hard even with the addition of the oil. I use this technique with the recorders I make, a technique I have inherited from the previous makers. It is used because it is a hard wearing, water proof finish and can be applied on the lathe. Its worth experimenting with. I have even used it with nitrocellulose lacquer.