PDA

View Full Version : How to restore Creasote & klinky(marine ply) ? and teak

Zrichard
17th September 2004, 03:47 PM
<HR style="COLOR: #66668e" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

We have a 1960's timber house.

It has a flat roof covered in riverstone and is supported by large creasote soaked timbers. Many areas are fine and according to the old owner/builder have been untouched for 40 years. The roof overhangs and is lined with "klinky?" and where maintained has been replaced with marine ply. The inside ceiling is also "kiliky?" and the walls burmeese teak vaneer or redwood with a darkish stain

If it helps was designed by Mortlock of <!--StartFragment --> Ancher Mortlock and Murray

SO

a) In areas where the creasote beams are showing age can I simply slap on creasote? If not what is the best mix. (personaly I am not supper keen on working with the stuff)

b) This klinky/marine ply is also looking dryed out in places. Should I use linsead oil and turps. My Estonian father says that I should add pine tar or similar.

c) what should I treat the burmeese teak and redwood with

Markw
19th September 2004, 12:38 PM
Use anything but creosote!!!!

I work in the electricity industry in NSW and creosote has been removed as a suitable termiticide in power poles. Creosote is currently rated as an class 2 Carcinogen as per our MSDS advice. This means it has caused cancer in other living organisms but not tested on humans.

journeyman Mick
19th September 2004, 11:45 PM
Use anything but creosote!!!!

I work in the electricity industry in NSW and creosote has been removed as a suitable termiticide in power poles. Creosote is currently rated as an class 2 Carcinogen as per our MSDS advice. This means it has caused cancer in other living organisms but not tested on humans.

I guess I better stock up then before they pull it off the shelves! :eek:

Mick