PDA

View Full Version : Comprehensive Turning info

wheelinround
23rd April 2010, 09:47 AM
This is an amazing amount of information on turning best I have seen and would be great for those who want to know as much as they can about turning its tools plus much more.

Hobbit House Glossary (http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/_latheterms.htm)

old pete
23rd April 2010, 10:18 AM
Hi Wheelinaround,

There's a feast of information in that Glossary. In scanning it I noticed the reference to the Longworth Chuck for securing bowls to finish the base thereof. Some years ago I translated the somewhat confusing and jumbled information from several sources on how to make a Longworth Chuck into an easily digestible set of detailed instructions .

For any forum members who may be interested in making a Longworth Chuck I'm happy to E mail them a copy of my instructions. E mail me private for that.

The other type of securing chuck shown in that glossary also works very well but its fraught with potential dangers with those bolts and nuts whirling around

Old Pete

hughie
23rd April 2010, 10:40 AM
Well done Ray, I am familiar with the site although its got way more info as compared to my last visit. :2tsup:

wheelinround
23rd April 2010, 02:25 PM
Well done Ray, I am familiar with the site although its got way more info as compared to my last visit. :2tsup:

Same here Hughie I went back to browes I love his wood one.

rsser
23rd April 2010, 02:29 PM
Good one Ray.

I just wish they had labelled their pics better. The pics show variation in tool bevel geometry that's not insignificant.

Edit: and a Celtic grind is not synonymous with a fingernail grind!

Frank&Earnest
23rd April 2010, 11:14 PM
Good one Ray.

Ditto

Edit: and a Celtic grind is not synonymous with a fingernail grind!

Depending on whom you listen to. :) That's why I prefer to understand arcs and angles, they are a bit less ambiguous...

rsser
24th April 2010, 06:24 PM
Yes, there's various terms in this game but I've not found anyone who has made the same claim as Hobbit House in this regard.

Frank&Earnest
24th April 2010, 10:23 PM
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. :D

O'Donnell's Woodturning Techniques - Google Books (http://books.google.com.au/books?id=4JSDV1GeyhUC&pg=PA34&lpg=PA34&dq=Celtic+grind+fingernail+grind&source=bl&ots=4cd563Ab-1&sig=hyO7T8mHeGs_4tS4ti8kxpRJQiI&hl=en&ei=ENTSS_TVGcugkQXB5pS6DA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CBgQ6AEwBA)

wheelinround
24th April 2010, 10:58 PM
Ah yes that old argument of what came first, "Who's On First"_ Whats On Second"

I have learnt in the trades and industries I have worked in many names for one thing and many have disputed as to the correct name.

Change that idea by a percentile and stick your own name on it and sell it to the world as something new.

rsser
25th April 2010, 08:46 AM
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. :D

O'Donnell's Woodturning Techniques - Google Books (http://books.google.com.au/books?id=4JSDV1GeyhUC&pg=PA34&lpg=PA34&dq=Celtic+grind+fingernail+grind&source=bl&ots=4cd563Ab-1&sig=hyO7T8mHeGs_4tS4ti8kxpRJQiI&hl=en&ei=ENTSS_TVGcugkQXB5pS6DA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CBgQ6AEwBA)

The shape is said to be similar, and in plan it is. Side on and in use its clearly different.

Re evidence, true, but we are all in social life, and in much of social science, inductive generalisers.

artme
25th April 2010, 08:56 AM
Godd resource Wheelin. Thanx.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
25th April 2010, 09:00 AM
Re evidence, true, but we are all in social life, and in much of social science, inductive generalisers.

Ern think very hard about what your saying here as this is why medico's often make mistakes, they are so ingrained with only the text book knows.

wheelinround
25th April 2010, 09:01 AM
Godd resource Wheelin. Thanx.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Yep Arthur agree wood work is a Goddly past time:U

Gil Jones
25th April 2010, 01:26 PM
Good bit of data there, Ray, thanks.
Seems I remember this site as a place to see photos of wood.
Gil

rsser
25th April 2010, 01:39 PM
Wheelin, yep, I watch what medicos do, but errors don't usu fall into the category of inductive generalisation; more often deductive rigidities.

hughie
25th April 2010, 05:09 PM
more often deductive rigidities.

...and how often do we bump into these :U

wheelinround
25th April 2010, 07:27 PM
...and how often do we bump into these :U

When ever you meet stale ideas

joe greiner
25th April 2010, 08:37 PM
Good bit of data there, Ray, thanks.
Seems I remember this site as a place to see photos of wood.
Gil
Correct. Here 'tis: Exotic Wood Pictures: Exotic Wood displayed, described, and identified (http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/index.htm)

Cheers,
Joe