PDA

View Full Version : Score!

Farnk
25th April 2010, 09:26 PM
Hi again!

I've been the recipient of a very kind gift.

It started off with a call from a friend at work that went something like, "Hey Frank, you do woodturning don't you? Would you like some wood?"

Well of course it would be rude to refuse, so I gratefully accepted the offer whilst expecting 'some wood' to be a bootful of the usual motley collection of offcuts and stuff.

Arrangements were made, I drove to the site and I was dumbstruck.
I am now the VERY happy owner of a very full 7x5 trailer load of some of the most beautiful timber I've ever come across. Heaps of Huon and Sassafrass, along with bits of dead finish and others in all shapes and sizes.

I don't believe I'll have to buy another bit of wood for a decade! Here's a couple of pix of the first couple of wheelbarrow loads! :D

F

dai sensei
25th April 2010, 09:34 PM
:tongueroll: Lucky you :cool:

Pat
25th April 2010, 09:41 PM
Lucky bugger, my latest freebies is a couple of Tallowwood slices @500mm dia x300mm thick and 400mm dia x 300mm thick. Begger's cannot be choser's, if you cannot use any of your haul, send it my way:U

tea lady
25th April 2010, 10:09 PM
:oo: Bar stard!

If you need any help sorting it out........ :whistling: :D

TTIT
25th April 2010, 11:50 PM
Cooooor! You luckee, luckee bar stard :2tsup: (or words to that effect from a Python sketch :shrug: ). Are they labeled Frank ????

Farnk
26th April 2010, 12:19 AM
Cooooor! You luckee, luckee bar stard :2tsup: (or words to that effect from a Python sketch :shrug: ). Are they labeled Frank ????

Not too many are labeled Frank, some are labeled huon, some blackwood, some sassafrass:D

But on a serious note....
A few are labeled, most not. I'm labelling them as I go, but there are a heap here that I have NO IDEA as to species. There are also quite a few bits that are quite weathered on the surface.

I'm cutting some of the larger slabs down into bowl blanks as I go as well.

artme
26th April 2010, 08:44 AM
Good for you Frank!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Must be a month's worth of dedicated part time turning there!:D:D

munruben
26th April 2010, 10:27 AM
I don't believe I'll have to buy another bit of wood for a decade! Here's a couple of pix of the first couple of wheelbarrow loads! :DShow off:D
Great score.:2tsup::2tsup:

Ed Reiss
26th April 2010, 11:50 AM
Almost like hitting the lotto :2tsup:

Ozkaban
26th April 2010, 01:04 PM
Wow!

Sounds like a Turning Party at Farnk's house is due!!!

Cheers,
Dave

Sawdust Maker
26th April 2010, 10:37 PM
Lucky bugger:2tsup:

any time I'm offered wood I can still hear the chainsaw cutting it up :doh:*

* and that's too rare an event :((

Grumpy John
27th April 2010, 09:41 AM
Free wood is great, Scoring free wood that is already cut up and partially labelled is like finding the Holy Grail :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:.

Manuka Jock
27th April 2010, 10:35 AM
:2tsup:
and thats' why we never say "No" eh folks .

Good score mate

Rum Pig
28th April 2010, 10:45 PM
Should keep the fire burning this winter :D:D