PDA

View Full Version : LUNGS, The New 3M Mask.

issatree
29th April 2010, 05:17 AM
Hi to All,
Well I got some time in the Garage yesterday, & I wore The New 3M Mask for approx. 1 3/4 hrs. Straight.
Reasonably comfortable, for the 1st. proper go, & will give it a good try out at "Horsham You Turn " this coming weekend.
Having a Beard does not help things, as it gets a bit Ticklish, but also Bearable.
Does not interfere with my Glasses, & definitely no Foggy Glasses.
I think that "This 3M Mask " was worth the money.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Ozkaban
29th April 2010, 10:29 AM
Interesting to hear how it goes. Where di you end up getting it?

Cheers,
Dave

Sir Stinkalot
29th April 2010, 06:12 PM
Perhaps it's time for the beard to go Issatree! ;)

RETIRED
29th April 2010, 06:52 PM
Perhaps it's time for the beard to go Issatree! ;)Flog that man!!!!. You heathen you.:wink::D:cool:

BozInOz
29th April 2010, 08:18 PM
Real men have beards.

I'm interested where you got it from? I hear they come in different sizes, so I don't like ordering from overseas when I don't know the size.

hughie
29th April 2010, 08:30 PM
Real men have beards.I'm interested where you got it from? I hear they come in different sizes, so I don't like ordering from overseas when I don't know the size.

Most of us grow our own........:U

BozInOz
29th April 2010, 09:06 PM
haha...

where'd ya get the 3m mask from?
not interested in anyone else's beard...

issatree
30th April 2010, 12:43 AM
Hi Again,
Had another go late this afternoon.
Approx. the same amount of time, & it is working Beautifully.
I have suddenly noticed, that coming out of The Garage, how different it is now.
None of that slight weazing, that I used to get, but then I was not wearing this Mask .
I did have a reasonably good Paper Mask with the little air piece in the front, & that was all I used, & that was when I thought about it to use.
I think as time goes by it will get better, & I will get used to wearing it all the time.
The one thing you can't do to well is talk with The Mask on. Issatree has a problem.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

rsser
30th April 2010, 06:50 AM
where'd ya get the 3m mask from?

See post here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/lungs-116676/index2.html)

But note Frank's post #34 in that thread, that they're not meant for bearded folk.

If your beard hair is fine you might get away with plastering it down with Vaseline.

That'd prob keep the kiddies out of your shed too.

Frank&Earnest
30th April 2010, 04:30 PM
Yep. Didn't think about the vaseline, but l happened to look at a tube of silicone and wondered if.... :-

Still, Issatree, better wearing that with less than 100% effectiveness than not putting anything on "because it's only for 5 minutes anyway..."

Any mask is only as good as the filters it uses, though, make sure that their rating is what's needed.

rsser
30th April 2010, 04:41 PM
Yes.

My concern would be that as the filters start to clog, more contaminated air will be drawn in through the beard. It will be a slow process probably and damage may be done before it's noticed.

Frank&Earnest
30th April 2010, 06:15 PM
Yes.

My concern would be that as the filters start to clog, more contaminated air will be drawn in through the beard. It will be a slow process probably and damage may be done before it's noticed.

Indeed. Which is why the disposable ones with 0.1 micron filter appeal to me most. My thinking at the moment is that I would put one on every time I spend 5 minutes in the shed, beard or no beard, and keep it stored correctly for one or two weeks. If I need it for a hour long session of bandsawing, sanding etc., I would just discard it when finished. For $2.50 it looks a mighty good investment to me.

For a long turning session, where eye/head protection is also useful and fine dust is less of an issue, I might keep using the Triton respirator.

But if they give me less than 5 years to live, I have better things to do altogether...:D

rsser
30th April 2010, 06:21 PM
Yeah agreed, but only if you know!

K_S
30th April 2010, 08:14 PM
I've obviously missed it. You've got my interest - thanks.
Is there a direct link to where we can buy the mask please.
I've checked 3M, they don't seem to exist as descibed here.
Now I'm sure they do; but where PLEASE

Sir Stinkalot
30th April 2010, 10:45 PM
Keith ...

Our club was given the heads up by another member Pellcorp who recently purchased one.

In the end we purchased 4 masks and 4 filters from "Allergy Be Gone" through Amazon. The filters that we got were a two pack of "NIOSH-Approved Particulate Filters" which are "perfect for all marine applications including welding and asbestos abatement". There are a number of other filters that would fit as well.

It should be noted that the mask does not come with any filters. I had thought that it came with at least 2 and decided to get a spare set ..... luckily I ordered the spare set as they quickly became the only set. We all got the large size.

By purchasing 4 masks we got them landed in Australia for $50 each in 7 days. If you are only ordering 1 I think they come in at about $70 each ..... postage is a real killer so best if you can get a few interested mates like we did. You can select the slow shipping option to save a few dollars however air mail only added a few extra dollars each to our masks. I think Pellcorp may have got his a little cheaper via a different store on Amazon however they do not have them in stock at the moment and don't answer emails.

"Allergy Be Gone" were the cheapest that I could find who would post to Australia. Unfortunately they had a limited range of filters.

I have the Triton respirator and cant stand the thing .... nice idea but it is just too heavy, uncomfortable and hot. I also have a "dust be gone" which seems to be quite good so far (except I find it seems to crush my nose somewhat) ...... I only took part in the 3M group buy as it sounded like too good a deal to pass up!

Hope this helps.

Amazon.com: 3M 7500 Series Reusable Half-Facepiece; Model 7503; Size: Large: Home Improvement