PDA

View Full Version : Modifications, TL1200

artme
29th April 2010, 11:30 AM
As anybody who has a Teknatool TL1200 will know, the banjo and tailstock do not have a cam lever set up for easy adjustment. They are a right PITA to move and tighten up

Looking for suggestions on how I might do this for as little cost as possible.

Thanx,artme.

bench1holio
29th April 2010, 06:13 PM
sell it and upgrade!,:; or push it to the back of the shed and upgrade like i did:U

corbs
29th April 2010, 08:16 PM
I might be wrong with the terminology but I'm pretty sure mine has the cam lock on both banjo and tail stock:?

Its just a rod, turn left to tighten... right to loosen (please note that this is from the top looking down:wink:). Pretty easy to move things around. If you want a closer look at mine let me know and I will take some photos.

Corbs

Actually just thought about it and its not a cam lock, its a threaded rod but I only need a 1/4 turn to tighten/loosen.

issatree
30th April 2010, 12:57 AM
Hi Artme,
I dare say you keep the Bed in good condition, by giving it a clean down with some old worn out 400G Paper & then use some " Silbien Gliet " or Silver Glide as most of us call it. The great thing is, you need very little of this Stuff to make everything work very easily.
I'm not sure of the 1200, is this the older Yellow Lathe with the Diamond shaped Bed ?
I did some Demo's on that Lathe, thought it was quite good, in those days.
If you are thinking of an Upgrade, take a good look at the VL175, very nice machine.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

rsser
30th April 2010, 06:46 AM
So what do they have Artme? A nut you have to spanner?

artme
30th April 2010, 07:35 AM
The bed is two not-so-thick-walled tubes.

Banjo and tailstock held by a bolt with alever that hhas a threaded cylindrical nut. I just find it a PITA.

Only other eal fault is the location of the on/of switch, but I think that can be easily overcome.

rsser
30th April 2010, 03:48 PM
Not sure I can visualise what it looks like, but would a captive spanner with a nut rather than a bolt attached help?

Otherwise, chk out the Metalwork forum for a thread started by Tiger on making yr own camlock; haven't read it, just noticed it looking for something else.

Sturdee
30th April 2010, 05:25 PM
The bed is two not-so-thick-walled tubes.

Banjo and tailstock held by a bolt with alever that hhas a threaded cylindrical nut. I just find it a PITA.

Only other eal fault is the location of the on/of switch, but I think that can be easily overcome.

I had one like that and used a short bit of gal water pipe to slide over the bolt to tighten them . Was planning on getting a longer nut and drill two holes through the top part of the nut at right angles to each other and use a rod on a handle for it but upgraded instead.

Peter.