PDA

View Full Version : Mackay Cedar Bowl

wood hacker
2nd May 2010, 01:23 PM
Hi folks

I got a load of timber from my father yesterday, including some very interesting spalted poinciana and in amongst it I spotted a nice little piece of mackay cedar. This is the finished bowl. Approx size 170mm diameter and about 30mm high. Sanded to 400 oiled and waxed.

As always comments and criticism welcome

Cheers
WH

Tony Morton
2nd May 2010, 03:37 PM
Hi WH
Turned a couple of pieces of Mckay cedar last week makes it interesting if yo0u can include that piece of sapwood, does the dust affect you I get sneezing attacks from it if I dont use airshield.

Cheers Tony

rsser
2nd May 2010, 04:05 PM
Spekky timber WH.

Is that bluestain in the sapwood?

wood hacker
2nd May 2010, 05:04 PM
Hi WH
Turned a couple of pieces of Mckay cedar last week makes it interesting if yo0u can include that piece of sapwood, does the dust affect you I get sneezing attacks from it if I dont use airshield.

Cheers Tony

Tony

I've turned Mackay Cedar before and was warned that the dust can be quite nasty so I always wear a dust mask. So far no problems.

Spekky timber WH.

Is that bluestain in the sapwood?

rsser

There were a couple of small beetle holes in the timber so it could well be blue stain.

skot
2nd May 2010, 09:34 PM
Nice Platter WH :2tsup:

artme
3rd May 2010, 07:46 PM
Spiffy timber and a neat bowl!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

A WARNING Poinciana can be bad news and spalted Poinciana is almost guaranteed to give problems. WEAR very good dust filtering masks.

munruben
3rd May 2010, 09:04 PM
Great transformation from a piece of timber to a lovely bowl. Well done. :2tsup:

wood hacker
3rd May 2010, 10:34 PM
Spiffy timber and a neat bowl!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

A WARNING Poinciana can be bad news and spalted Poinciana is almost guaranteed to give problems. WEAR very good dust filtering masks.

Thanks Artme. I got the run down (read lecture) from the old man when he dropped them off. I normally wear a dust mask when turning and will be especially careful when doing these.