PDA

View Full Version : Attempt #2 at funny things

cultana
3rd May 2010, 01:00 PM
Since my last attempt at making a small box I thought I better try a dash of practice at this end grain turning stuff.
After a bit of talk with the local turners and also re read of some of the suggestions by members of how to do it and their approaches I developed a small tool of my own. It just had to be tested and refined till I buy a ¼ inch square blank of HSS. The current one is only a high carbon steel.

So the testing produced something but I am not too sure what it is, just call it a 'spaceship'.
The base is temporary as SWMBO has commandeered it for a candle holder. :oo: Actually the real base got trashed as it stated to split. I started to turn it and then had a break of 2 hours. When I came back it had begun to dry out and the side walls were split. I then turned the current base that is not its base.

The main part is green timber and has been treated with 2 thin coats of Cabots poly. The little tip is a piece of melaleuca. The base is old dried out timber and untreated. It polished well while turning and a light sanding. It also polished the chisels, two sharpening just for the cove alone.

tea lady
3rd May 2010, 02:41 PM
:2tsup: Yep! Pretty funny. Sort of high rise egg cups.:cool: Kind of interesting idea to carry on with.

What is this tool you speak of. Sounds suspiciously like a parting tool used like a scraper.:rolleyes: The guys at Knox get shown to hollow end grain like that. It gets the job done, but certainly doesn't sound comfortable. :C

cultana
3rd May 2010, 03:20 PM
:2tsup: Yep! Pretty funny. Sort of high rise egg cups.:cool: Kind of interesting idea to carry on with.

What is this tool you speak of. Sounds suspiciously like a parting tool used like a scraper.:rolleyes: The guys at Knox get shown to hollow end grain like that. It gets the job done, but certainly doesn't sound comfortable. :C

Parting tool, no, it has a single point slightly rounded. So its more of a scraper and each side of the point is at 45 degrees to the axis. The top is slightly cut down with a slight rise at the tip to add to the cut. The rounding of the point and I is a very small round aids in the smooth cut vs a point.
As for comfort the current tool is not very long so after a small distance past the tool rest, 20 mm, it is difficult to control. Hence the need to go to longer and better steel and a good longer handle. At present the whole thing is about 200 mm. Not long enough.
I would show you a pic but that may just scare you completely.

Texian
3rd May 2010, 03:40 PM
Can you do another base with better wood/color match? Consider calling it a multi-stage box. Did a two stage box a while back and it sold quickly. I quite like it.

cultana
3rd May 2010, 03:54 PM
Can you do another base with better wood/color match? Consider calling it a multi-stage box. Did a two stage box a while back and it sold quickly. I quite like it.

Actually the original base was close to the main timbers in colour, but it started to split so I could not work with it.
The current one is just temporary till I do a new base anyway.

artme
3rd May 2010, 07:23 PM
Doing Well old son!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Good to see you experimenting with tool design as well as turning. That will teach you mor than any nomber of books or the sage advice offered here.

cultana
4th May 2010, 01:59 AM
Doing Well old son!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Good to see you experimenting with tool design as well as turning. That will teach you mor than any nomber of books or the sage advice offered here.

Ah but the sage advice and comments only help and provide a level of direction.

The various comments in the oyster box thread did give me some direction on how it can be done and an unintended hint at my tool experiment. So sage advice is always welcome, though naturally like all good students not necessary followed.:D

Anyway some may suggest I am going faster than they believe they should.:rolleyes: