PDA

View Full Version : A pomander (French thingy!)

TTIT
6th May 2010, 10:55 AM
I've never seen anyone post one of these on the forum so here's something else to put on your tuit list.
A bloke with a stall at the Airlie beach markets turned the first one I saw and he told me the idea was to hang them in the kitchen window so the heat and steam would activate the pot-pourri in the pomander and fill the room with aromas better than his cooking :U
It was wanting to make one of these that prompted me to make my washing-machine lathe years ago and while at my daughters the other day I was blown away to discover she's still using the butt-ugly first pomander I ever made :B:B (and there's no way I'm putting pics of it up here! :no: )
Hope she likes the replacement I made - bit of Huon from a cracked old stump for the ball and some Gidgee for the finials.

Ed Reiss
6th May 2010, 12:03 PM
Very good work TT...like the carving on the finials also !! :2tsup:

RETIRED
6th May 2010, 01:08 PM
bit of Huon from a cracked old stump for the ball and some Gidgee for the finials.Pretty even cracks. :whistling2: :D

nine fingers
6th May 2010, 01:15 PM
Hi Vern , A beautiful piece of work:2tsup:, you amaze me with the ideas of projects you can come up with. What size is the ball?.
Also thanks for the quick reply to my email. cheers John.

TTIT
6th May 2010, 01:22 PM
Pretty even cracks. :whistling2: :DExtremely :B

Hi Vern , A beautiful piece of work:2tsup:, you amaze me with the ideas of projects you can come up with. What size is the ball?.
Also thanks for the quick reply to my email. cheers John.Roughly 75mm diameter :U - with an 'almost' even wall thickness of about 3mm :C Let's just say I won't be letting Robbos 'micrometer-eyes' near it :;

NeilS
6th May 2010, 03:59 PM
Now your getting all fancy on us, but.....:2tsup:

orraloon
6th May 2010, 06:01 PM
One for the to do list. I like it a lot.
Regards
John

Cliff Rogers
6th May 2010, 07:52 PM
:2tsup: You need a hobby Vern. :D

dai sensei
6th May 2010, 08:27 PM
Great work Vern as usual :cool:

I love the idea, certainly more interesting then a normal bowl type pot pourii container. Be great to hang from the curtain rails, could even be the curtain pull :rolleyes:

mkypenturner
6th May 2010, 08:38 PM
very nice :2tsup::2tsup: love the contrast between the huon and the gidgee

troy

Texian
7th May 2010, 02:53 PM
So it's like a hangy down pot pourii dish. No way will I let my wife see this, cause even if I could turn it I couldn't carve it. Nice "thingy" Vern!

powderpost
7th May 2010, 07:59 PM
There was a pomander featured here about three years ago. Can't remember exactly when.
Jim

Sawdust Maker
7th May 2010, 09:00 PM
Nice work, Vern
I'm pleased my SWMBO doesn't like these potty thingys
otherwise I'd have to become a better turner then I am in an extremely short period of time

bench1holio
7th May 2010, 09:18 PM
very tidy!
how did you cut the slots in the ball?

TTIT
7th May 2010, 10:42 PM
very tidy!
how did you cut the slots in the ball?I used a 3mm bit in a router trimmer mounted in a jig I made recently - still trying to put together the webpage about it for my website - I'll let you know when I'm done :; Used the same rig to do most of the carving of the Gidgee finials too.

hughie
8th May 2010, 01:18 AM
:2tsup:[You need a hobby Vern. :D

......or maybe get out more :U

nice one Vern :2tsup:

Frank&Earnest
8th May 2010, 09:31 AM
Very nice turning, Vern. But no self respecting French person (or any self respecting cook of any nationality :p) would hang a pomander in the kitchen. :D

artme
9th May 2010, 09:17 AM
Nice work on that Vern!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

mick61
10th May 2010, 12:08 AM
Nice work Vern.
Mick:D

TTIT
28th May 2010, 09:27 AM
very tidy!
how did you cut the slots in the ball?Finally got around to putting the fluting jig (http://www.ttit.id.au/gadgets/Fluting-jig.htm)that I used on this up on the website. Piccy here will give you an idea of how it is set up :;

NeilS
28th May 2010, 10:25 AM
As usual, an impressive and well thought through bit of engineering, Vern.

And, very clearly set out and explained on your website.

Ed Reiss
28th May 2010, 11:41 AM
Certainly expands surface decoration possibilites...nicely done TT.

Ozkaban
28th May 2010, 11:44 AM
love the pomander... and the jig is very cool too :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

orificiam
29th May 2010, 02:31 PM
Very Artistic and Delicate.:2tsup:
Cheers Tony.:)