PDA

View Full Version : Salt/Pepper Mills - what timber and where to get it

smidsy
21st September 2004, 03:54 PM
Hei Guys,
I want to make a set of salt & pepper mills and I am trying to find some timber -
I would prefer something better than pine or jarrah.
Any suggestions on the timber and where I can get it here in Perth. I need 60mm square and I'm hoping to avoid having to laminate to get the size - is this an unreasonable expectation?
Cheers
Paul

kevinmcc
21st September 2004, 04:10 PM
Paul,

I find that old redgum fence posts from domestic fences are best for this chore. They are dry, well seasoned, up to 6" x 4" in cross-sectional size and often have curly grain characteristics. Best of all, they are free.

cheers

Kevin

smidsy
21st September 2004, 06:40 PM
Hei Kevin,
I'm loathe to use second hand timber on this project because I would have thought that the salt & pepper could absorb any chemicals in the timber.
Is this correct or am I just being over cautious?
Cheers
Paul

macca2
21st September 2004, 07:07 PM
These are a couple I made using Sheok from Carba-tec.

Macca

John Saxton
21st September 2004, 10:44 PM
Paul, Olive is great for distinctive feature, Jarrah is as good,Marri,in fact any local hardwood would work for you, lilly Pilly,Jacaranda are plain but could be highlighted perhaps with embellishment.

Just some ideas chucked at ya!
Cheers :)

rsser
22nd September 2004, 09:30 AM
I've used elm, jarrah, and silky oak (the latter I wouldn't do again because of its irritant potential).

Jarrah is easy enough to work but the coarse grain doesn't lend itself to a fine finish. I like Redgum and it can finish nicely but some well seasoned pieces can be very hard. Old floor stumps are unlikely to have been treated but give them a few months to dry properly.

No, 60 - 70 mm square is available. Depending on the kit, 70 - 75mm may be needed.

http://www.thewoodsmith.com.au/ in Melb. do mail order and Len Smith will give you good advice on suitable timbers. He also sells good mechanisms.

barnsey
22nd September 2004, 05:18 PM
The favourites I've made were huon pine for the salt and brush box for the pepper - both great timbers to turn albeit the brush box is hard and heavy but it finishes up beautifully.

My 2p worth.

Jamie :D

rsser
22nd September 2004, 10:17 PM
Yeah, the Brush box is full of silica, so gives you plenty of practice sharpening your tools ;-}