PDA

View Full Version : snapping screws

Rhys_holland
10th May 2010, 11:14 AM
hi all i seem to be snapping screws off in my bowls and i was wondering how do you guys get them out and are there special screws i should be using

Pat
10th May 2010, 11:27 AM
Rhys, why are you snapping screws? Too heavy handed in roughing, was always my problem.

To get them out, I drill down the sides of the screw to get a pair of pliers into the ##$%%^^#@ screw.

You can try easy outs, but for a blank I don't bother, just rotate the faceplate to fresh timber :U

Depending on the blank I use a variety of screw types and diameters. Although I am finding the Sachy Robertson (http://www.sachys-robertson.com.au/index.html) #12 gauge square drive to be Pat proof at the moment.:;

Rhys_holland
10th May 2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks i will have to try out those screws

steck
10th May 2010, 01:20 PM
I had the same experience with a packet of screws I bought from Bunnies. They held okay but snapped when I tried to unscrew them. A real PITA!
Just seemed to be a bad batch.

dai sensei
10th May 2010, 01:45 PM
Use square drive screws, see here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/couple-tips-34887/) for discussion and link to supplier, they work a treat.

brendan stemp
10th May 2010, 01:51 PM
In hard timber I always drill pilot holes before putting screws in. But still I occasionally have the need to get a broken one out. If it is a bowl blank the broken screw is normally on the top side and I simply put it on the lathe and use a parting tool to put two grooves either side of and as close as possible to the screw to a depth of the screws broken length. With lathe off I then use a chisel or small skew chisel to break away the remaining timber around the screw and voila, out falls the screw.

Texian
10th May 2010, 01:57 PM
With many of the very hard Aussie woods I would think it would be important to drill the correct size pilot holes for the screws. Too small and the screws will go in but will not come out. The pilot holes should be at least as large as the body diameter of the screws, and maybe just a hair or two larger. Not sure how much is "a hair" in metric.

Pat
10th May 2010, 02:03 PM
Not sure how much is "a hair" in metric.

Just a tad larger than a poofteenth:U

Treecycle
10th May 2010, 02:05 PM
I agree with the use of the Robertson style screws by Sachys. They are made from good quality hardened steel, and have a deep thread. I only use 8 gauge screws on blanks up to 300mm dia and have never had any problems.
A good thing to do when fitting your blanks to the faceplate is to flatten the face off so that it fits flat on the plate. This will stop any stresses on the screws as you are turning, as the wood will not be flexing around on the high spots.

orraloon
10th May 2010, 06:10 PM
I have been using hex head roofing screws with great success. Easy with the battery drill to install and remove. Quick also. I predrill only the very hard woods and those likely to split. Not broken one yet and I use them many many times over.
Regards John

hughie
10th May 2010, 09:38 PM
Pilot holes are good for hard wood. I also use soap as a lubricant, race into the bathroom when SWMBO is not home and grab a used bar of toilet soap, preferably one that been sitting in a wet spot. Fill the screw threads with the soft soap and then screw it in.

It will go in the greatest of ease and come out just as easy, you could use grease but it will stain, soap leaves no stain at all.

Or buy a chuck or two :U I hardly ever use screws any more.

NeilS
10th May 2010, 10:10 PM
Not had any snap since I've been using 12g hex head sheet metal screws (not the self drilling type), like the one third from left on the top here (http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/type-chart.aspx). Very quick to drive in and out with drill. Mostly pre-drill unless blank is 12" or less and green. The galvo prevents rusting. Will occasionally dip them in cream wax to make it easier to remove.

Ed Reiss
11th May 2010, 12:20 PM
Just a tad larger than a poofteenth:U

,,,and a bit smaller than the sweat of the bollocks :o

turnerted
11th May 2010, 05:57 PM
A usefull posting . I've got a red mallee burl coring sitting on the floor of the shed with two snapped screws in from last week waiting for me to figure out how I'm going to get them out . Thanks .
Ted

mick61
11th May 2010, 06:06 PM
G`day I use a glaser screw supplied by woodfast to suit there face plate hold most bowls I turn after making all the mistakes everyone else has. The only thing you have to watch out for is drilling the hole deep enough.
Cheers mick:D

Texian
12th May 2010, 12:01 AM
If the screw(s) are not too long a plug cutter might aid removal. Just cut a plug centered on the screw and snap it loose. But the plug cutters I have only go about 3/4" (19 mm) deep.

orraloon
12th May 2010, 12:16 AM
To remove broken off screws drill a hole alongside the screw then hammer in an old screwdriver blade (or some kind of metal spike)the other side of the screw to force it into the hole you drilled. Remove screw shank with pliers.

Malcolm Eaton
12th May 2010, 12:35 AM
hi all i seem to be snapping screws off in my bowls and i was wondering how do you guys get them out and are there special screws i should be using

Try a bit of soap on the screw prior to driving it in, or even a bit of bees wax will do, it makes it so much easier and reduces the stain on the screw. Of course ones assume you are drilling a pilot hole in the piece you are to screw into.
Regards
Mac

steck
12th May 2010, 08:19 PM
I just found this Screw Extractor at McJing.com.au (No connection, etc.)
Comes in 3 sizes
"Broken off screws are easy to extract when you can remove the material from around them. Using a drill press or a power drill with a pre-bored guide block, these hollow, saw tooth edged extractors bore a clean hole around the broken screw without damaging the surrounding surface. Three double ended size for #8, #10 & #12 screws, 2” Long."

tea lady
12th May 2010, 11:30 PM
:cool: So that's the extraction solved. Exactly WHEN are they snapping? While turning? Or while you are trying to undo them? :think:

Texian
13th May 2010, 01:54 PM
TL, sounds like, when attempting to remove.

When a screw snaps at you, snap right back at it, and growl.

Rhys_holland
13th May 2010, 05:22 PM
yeah they are usually snapping when i go to take them out

tea lady
14th May 2010, 12:12 AM
yeah they are usually snapping when i go to take them out:think: :shrug: I guess more robust screws could be the go. How large are these pieces you are turning?

Rhys_holland
14th May 2010, 05:35 PM
. How large are these pieces you are turning?

10.5inch round and only 2 inch thich w ould be the biggest i would do