PDA

View Full Version : Calling for Volunteers to man the Woodwork Forums stand at the Brisbane T&WWW Show!!

Pages : [1] 2

RufflyRustic
11th May 2010, 10:30 AM
Calling for Volunteers to man the Woodwork Forums stand at the Brisbane T&WWW Show!!

We have a Woodwork Forums stand at the Brisbane show on the weekend of 21st to 23rd and I would love to see it being manned. I know I'm running late with this request:rolleyes:, but if anyone is available and able to be at the stand for 30 minutes at a time, even up to an hour, that would be great!

What would we expect? Be willing to talk timber and tools and especially talk about the Woodworking Australia's Woodwork Forums.

Friday, 21 May 2010
10-11 am RufflyRustic and journeyman Mick. Bob38s and Blackhole
11-12 noon blackhole, RR, Mick and Bob
12 - 1 pm RufflyRustic, Mick
1 - 2 pm Bob38s, John, RR
2-3 pm John, Mick, Bob
3 - 4 pm RufflyRustic, John and Mick

Saturday, 22 May 2010
10-11 am Dai Sensei *& Star
11-12 noon Gawdelpus, wood hacker
12 - 1 pm Cliff Rogers

1 - 2pm Help needed Still Please

2-3 pm Robomanic
3 - 4 pm Superbunny

Sunday, 23 May 2010
10-11 am RufflyRustic
11-12 noon Enfirled Guy
12 - 1 pm RufflyRustic
1 - 2pm funkychicken
2-3 pm
3-4 pm RufflyRustic

Any one able or interested? :)

cheers
Wendy

Cliff Rogers
11th May 2010, 11:16 AM
Saturday Arvo. :2tsup:

RufflyRustic
11th May 2010, 11:42 AM
Thanks Cliff, any particular time?

Cheers
Wendy

Bob38S
11th May 2010, 12:17 PM
I can do 1->2 on Friday if that suits.

Regards,
Bob

RufflyRustic
11th May 2010, 12:53 PM
Thanks Bob :2tsup:

Chesand
11th May 2010, 01:03 PM
I have manned the Melb stand and it is a very pleasant experience so I encourage those of you who are available, to give RufflyRustic a hand.

It is a small way of giving back to the Forum

blackhole
11th May 2010, 02:58 PM
Friday 11-12 and 2-3 if needed. I assume you would like 2 or 3 people on the stand all the time. Do you want a computer and internet for demonstrations?

RufflyRustic
11th May 2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks blackhole.

yes, having a computer or two to demonstrate the Forum would be good. I'll talk to you more about this soon.

cheers
Wendy

Cliff Rogers
11th May 2010, 06:12 PM
Any time Saturday arvo.

I'll have a laptop with mobile internet.

Groggy
11th May 2010, 06:17 PM
G'day Ruffles, good to see the Brisbanites catching up to the Melbournites :D

I have a powerpoint demonstration if you want something running in the background, it gives a lot of info on the forums. Send a PM and I'll post it off to you.

For anyone who is hesitant, the volunteers in Melbourne for the last few years have been great. Each person puts in a hour or so (up to them) and usually they have a big gab-fest with other forumites and the public, hand out some leaflets and occasionally explain how to use the forums. It is pretty easy work and I have found it a great way to put faces to names.

watson
11th May 2010, 06:54 PM
:whs:
Its Fun

Carry Pine
11th May 2010, 08:41 PM
You could even run a 'help' line with a bank of interstate 'experts' sitting back offering all sorts of advice.

Does this stall happen in Sydney? Can't say i've seen it. Let's hope Canberra doesn't shame NSW.

Graham

blackhole
11th May 2010, 08:50 PM
I was thinking one computer to do demo's and one with ispy running (no user input)

woodnut
11th May 2010, 09:09 PM
G'day Ruffles, good to see the Brisbanites catching up to the Melbournites :D

I have a powerpoint demonstration if you want something running in the background, it gives a lot of info on the forums. Send a PM and I'll post it off to you.

For anyone who is hesitant, the volunteers in Melbourne for the last few years have been great. Each person puts in a hour or so (up to them) and usually they have a big gab-fest with other forumites and the public, hand out some leaflets and occasionally explain how to use the forums. It is pretty easy work and I have found it a great way to put faces to names.

And then the blighters come along to the REAL UBeaut stand and annoy the carp out of the REAL workers..... And bloody hell THAT is good fun!!!

RufflyRustic
11th May 2010, 09:51 PM
Now that is an interesting idea Carry:) It could lead into a "lets look at the Forum and see what it has on that topic. (or Renovators forum, if appropriate)

Thanks Chesand!

Cliff - I will be in touch.

Now - we just need some more volunteers to man the Booth:)

woodnut
11th May 2010, 09:55 PM
Now that is an interesting idea Carry:) It could lead into a "lets look at the Forum and see what it has on that topic. (or Renovators forum, if appropriate)

Thanks Chesand!

Cliff - I will be in touch.

Now - we just need some more volunteers to man the Booth:)

GOD! and what sort of bloody Brissy wood show without a good chat up of the lovely Rustically wonderful Wendy?

RufflyRustic
11th May 2010, 10:04 PM
shhh - you're make me blush.....:B

Superbunny
11th May 2010, 10:44 PM
Wendy I'll do Saturday 3-4 if you like but I don't have a computer to bring.:D:D

SB

RufflyRustic
11th May 2010, 10:56 PM
Cool Carrots SB!:2tsup: no worries re the pc though :D

funkychicken
11th May 2010, 11:06 PM
If I can get there on the Saturday (If I pass my driving test on the 19th) I'll be up for whenever on that day. Otherwise I might have to sponge a lift off "Someone" Gee, who could that someone be?:D

dai sensei
13th May 2010, 08:15 PM
Happy to open Sat morning Wendy :2tsup: Hopefully that means I will get in early :U

I have manned the stand at Melb a few times now with Groggy and others, so know how it usually runs. I have laptop, but not mobile internet. I could bring it and leave for day, picking it up as the show closes, I'll be hanging around all day. Perhaps it could be used for Groggy's slide show.

Do you want some extra shirts for decoration? Anything else?

Cheers

RufflyRustic
14th May 2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks Neil

The good news is that we are able to have the Forum Meet & Greet as well as the Forum on display via pcs in the same area.

As well as that, we will have at least two pcs on hand with internet access. 1 for the Powerpoint Display and one for the Woodwork Forums live on screen (That sounds so cool!) Thanks to Neil, Liz and another very generous Forumite.

We should have some posters to mount on the walls and handouts as well. I'm not sure about handing a shirt on the wall as I haven't seen the setup yet, but that's definitely a good idea :2tsup:

So at this stage, I think that we will be able to have everyone who 'mans' the booth simply keep an eye on the two pcs and associated equipment, talk about the WoodWork Forums and hand out the handouts. There should be no need to do more onthe pc than what you already do now, browsing, reading, searching and replying to threads and posts.

Cheers
Wendy

weisyboy
17th May 2010, 09:10 PM
i will let you know when i will be able to help if i can get in there.

working at maleny on friday. might be finished at lunch time.:?
gota go to clifton on saturday to fix mums mower?
gota go to goldcoast on sat arvo if i get back in time or sunday to get broken down boat?
gota get up to gympie for next weeks work on sunday evening?

RufflyRustic
18th May 2010, 09:39 AM
:oThat's Busy, Carl!

I am unable to be at the Show on Saturday.

Is anyone else able to assist with being on the stand on Saturday or at any of the other timeslots not yet filled?

It would be a huge shame to run the stall on Friday and Sunday only.:(

Thanks
Wendy

wood hacker
18th May 2010, 09:10 PM
Hi Wendy

I'm only a relative newcomer and not sure how much help I can be but I'll be at the show on Saturday. If I've got someone more experienced along side then I'm more than happy to lend a hand.

cheers
WH

RufflyRustic
18th May 2010, 10:25 PM
Hi wood hacker!

All help greatly appreciated!! :2tsup:

You already have the best experience going and that is simply by having become a member here, by reading the posts and joining in.

As for what you do, point to the Powerpoint Display, point to the ISPY screen, tell them about why you are here and what you like about it, what sort of information you can find here and then give them a leaflet, if they are interested.

There will also be a second pc which can be used to have a look at the Forums. :)

Still interested?

cheers
Wendy

Cliff Rogers
18th May 2010, 10:32 PM
:o...
I am unable to be at the Show on Saturday.....
Bummer.

funkychicken
18th May 2010, 11:06 PM
Ooh Ooh! Pick me, I'll be there on Saturday! Slot me in whenever

dai sensei
18th May 2010, 11:15 PM
I'm dragging Gawdelpus & his wife up, so they be vulunteering too, or walking the last few kms :rolleyes::U

RufflyRustic
18th May 2010, 11:18 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Yeah, I agree Cliff :C

STAR
19th May 2010, 08:21 AM
:oThat's Busy, Carl!

I am unable to be at the Show on Saturday.

Is anyone else able to assist with being on the stand on Saturday or at any of the other timeslots not yet filled?

It would be a huge shame to run the stall on Friday and Sunday only.:(

Thanks
Wendy

-----------------------------------

I will be going on Saturday. I will see Neil and see if he needs a hand, at least to eat his muffins.

Peter

RufflyRustic
19th May 2010, 09:33 AM
Thanks Star, I'll pencil you in :)

wood hacker
19th May 2010, 10:19 AM
Hi Wendy

I'll take the 11-12 time slot alongside Gawdelpus if thats OK.

cheers
WH

RufflyRustic
19th May 2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks! :2tsup:

ubeaut
20th May 2010, 07:52 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned before or not. But, all exhibitors are entitled to free entry to the show and as a volunteer you are also an exhibitor. So.........

ALL VOLUNTEERS GET FREE ENTRY INTO SHOW

PM Wendy for a contact phone number and to arrange entry. You will be met at entrance with your Exhibitor badge.

Don't bother asking for an Exhibitor Pass if you aren't prepared to put in time on the stand - 5 minutes doesn't count it must be at least a 1 hour stint and you can do it more than once if you want to, you can even do it on more than one day.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers - Neil :U

Cliff Rogers
20th May 2010, 08:54 AM
I have already bought my ticket online on a prepay from EEE.

dai sensei
20th May 2010, 10:05 PM
Ok you slack Queenslanders, we have a forum stand at the WWW show and we are running short of volunteers! :~

I am ashamed, afterall, in Melbourne we had 3 deep forumites for nearly every shift :2tsup:

You get free entry to the show, it is free and easy to do, and best of all you have fun talking to heaps of people about our favourite forum - what more do you want :whatonearth:

And yes, after getting permission, I have posted this a few times in different sub-forums for those people that only read one sub-forum :doh::U:U

I'll check this thread every night until the show is over, I want to see heaps of volunteers right :kneel:

funkychicken
20th May 2010, 10:58 PM
I can't guarantee anything, I mightn't make it:C

dai sensei
20th May 2010, 11:07 PM
For those of you interested, I have booked a table at Hogg's Breath Brisbane for dinner at 6:30pm with a few of our masters up from Melbourne :wink:

Happy to increase numbers, PM me if you want to join us so I can increase booking size.

Christos
21st May 2010, 06:05 AM
If there is a Sydney Woodwork Forums stand at the T&WWW Show is it too early to Volunteer?

Come on Queenslanders lets see some more hands. :harhar:

You guys might be :zzsoft:

artme
21st May 2010, 08:22 AM
OK. I'm in on Saturday only.

Can do two slots, any times.

munruben
21st May 2010, 08:49 AM
Well I guess I can lend a hand .. let me know. I will be there on Saturday with Arthur (artme) can help with Arthur or anyone else just slot me in

wheelinround
21st May 2010, 10:10 AM
Now there's double trouble bit like Chech and Chong or Abbot & Costello or even the tow old pharts from the Muppets. :U

Hey John those cheap tickets you got you won't need now :q

Well done you two :2tsup:

The reason Vic show was 3 deep they all wanted FREE tickets and the state is small enough for the whole of Vic to get to an hours drive from any direction and your there. Unlike NSW & QLD :roll:

Chesand
21st May 2010, 10:17 AM
The reason Vic show was 3 deep they all wanted FREE tickets and the state is small enough for the whole of Vic to get to an hours drive from any direction and your there. Unlike NSW & QLD :roll:

And we have a rich history of volunteering:D:D:D

Allen Neighbors
21st May 2010, 11:43 AM
I'll take a couple of slots... now... can anyone send me a flight ticket?...... :D

ForumDemo
21st May 2010, 01:35 PM
Hi from the Brisbane T&WWW Show!! It's a lovely day inside the Pavilion, I have no idea what it is like outside. We have had a fairly steady number of people interested in the Forum Stand. It's been great to hear how many people already know about us or are interested in checking us out. It's also a lot of fun finding out what woodwork people do and how much they all want to do more of it :)

Cheers for now
Wendy:U

Groggy
21st May 2010, 01:39 PM
Without pictures it isn't happening!

Good on you for making it happen Wendy :2tsup:

ForumDemo
21st May 2010, 01:48 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=137431&stc=1&d=1274410056

mindmaker
21st May 2010, 02:15 PM
Hi, I'd be interested in filling the 2-3pm slot on saturday if it's available and appropriate. I've only got a few posts, but i've spent a fair bit of time going through old posts and threads and have some knowledge of the forum. At the very least, i feel I can inform the newbs what a forum is and what it might offer.

Let me know if this is wanted?

Thanks, Tom.

Christos
21st May 2010, 05:30 PM
I'll take a couple of slots... now... can anyone send me a flight ticket?...... :D

Get in line. :U

ForumDemo
21st May 2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks Groggy, but in all honesty, the kudos goes to blackhole for his contribution.:2tsup:

Tom, you are a gem!! Thank you. There will be a pm winging your way this evening with entry details.

Thanks artme and munruben!! Just swing by the booth and talk with John.

cheers
Wendy@TheT&WWW Show

tea lady
21st May 2010, 05:48 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=137431&stc=1&d=1274410056:pi: I've seen those signs somewhere before. :rolleyes: They get around don't they? :D How many miles do you reckon they've done. Say hello to for me. And tell him to bring me back a bit of Purpleheart.:D Just straight grained. Not figured, for finials flowers. :bigkiss:

Cliff Rogers
21st May 2010, 05:50 PM
Is there room to stash a suitcase?

I will be going straight to the Airport tomorrow arvo so I will have my bag in tow.

tea lady
21st May 2010, 05:57 PM
Is there room to stash a suitcase?

I will be going straight to the Airport tomorrow arvo so I will have my bag in tow.Only if you get in before everyone else has gone "shopping" :rolleyes::D If its anything like Melbourne.:D

ForumDemo
21st May 2010, 05:58 PM
No worries TeaLady, to both requests :)

Yes Cliff, there's room in the forum lounge or in the parcel pickup area.:2tsup:

ForumDemo
21st May 2010, 05:59 PM
At least there will be room in the lounge tomorrow as I won't be here filling it with all my purchases :D

tea lady
21st May 2010, 06:08 PM
No worries TeaLady, to both requests :)

:2tsup:

At least there will be room in the lounge tomorrow as I won't be here filling it with all my purchases :D:rofl: So what have you bought? :U

funkychicken
21st May 2010, 06:52 PM
Change my times to Sunday, I can man the stand a few times

Enfield Guy
21st May 2010, 07:07 PM
I can help out for a couple of sessions on sunday if required. I would be happy to help.

Cheers
Bevan

Cliff Rogers
21st May 2010, 07:23 PM
....Yes Cliff, there's room in the forum lounge or in the parcel pickup area.:2tsup:
I used the parcel pickup last year & the year before.

Robomanic
21st May 2010, 09:37 PM
Hi guys and girls,

I'll be lurking around in the afternoon in my black and yellow :) More than happy to help out on the stall for an hour between 1-4. PM me in the morning and let me know if you have a preference, but I'll prob just check in and say hi when I get there.

Looking forward to meeting any brisforumites after moving up here in November from Melbourne. FC I see you changed your day, that is too bad cos I can't make it Sunday.

mic-d
21st May 2010, 10:13 PM
Caught up with Rufflyrustic, Blackhole, Bob38s and Journeyman_mick today. They seemed to always be at the forum stand, they all deserve gold stars:)

Cheers
Michael

Cliff Rogers
22nd May 2010, 01:05 AM
Looking forward to it.

munruben
22nd May 2010, 07:40 AM
Arthur (artme) and myself will be on our way shortly. Looking forward to it.

Look out Brisbane, Here we come:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
22nd May 2010, 08:24 AM
Arthur (artme) and myself will be on our way shortly. Looking forward to it.

Look out Brisbane, Here we come:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Have a great day John & Arthur .......and everyone else :2tsup:

RufflyRustic
22nd May 2010, 12:04 PM
Photos!! I have a few photos :)

For TeaLady - My Haul of Goodies, still more to get, of course :D Books and a bit of timber. I couldn't go past this thin board of figured New Gineau Rosewood though:U, a bit of ebony, huon, blackbean, rose gum, and myrtle.

I saw a very interesting piece of spalted silver ash but didn't get it, I might if it is still there on sunday though:B

Other photos - journeymanMick and I,
All of the crew who manned the stand and a couple of Forumites - John, Bob38s (at the pc), journeymanMick, Terry, Linda, Mic-d and Wood Butcher.

The lasy photo is the stand of Phil the Toymaker:2tsup: Heads up - Phil has very kindly offered to host a Forum GTG at his place in July.:D

Hope you are all having a great time at the Show. :) I did and I can't wait to be there tomorrow for more.

cheers
Wendy

tea lady
22nd May 2010, 02:02 PM
Photos!! I have a few photos :)

For TeaLady - My Haul of Goodies, still more to get, of course :D Books and a bit of timber. I couldn't go past this thin board of figured New Gineau Rosewood though:U, a bit of ebony, huon, blackbean, rose gum, and myrtle.Nice haul! I received the 500 tables book for xmas. Inspiring stuff.

I saw a very interesting piece of spalted silver ash but didn't get it, I might if it is still there on sunday though:B:devil: Go on! You know you want to. :mwahaha:

Other photos - journeymanMick and I,
:oo: Should provide some sunglasses with Mick's red trousers to look at.. :cool::D
cheers
Wendy:think: Wonder if I need to bring me back something to turn that wooden flute out of too.:whistling: :D Something else you can have a snoop around for Wendy.:cool:

Christopha
22nd May 2010, 02:29 PM
Where are the piccies of Kneel and Poorlean????

wheelinround
22nd May 2010, 02:34 PM

:o why aren't you there taking them still lazing around home fishing??

You coming to Sydney??

Tankstand
22nd May 2010, 02:41 PM
The stand is a great idea!

So Jealous of you all, hanging out for our Adelaide show.

Would a similar stand work in Adelaide? Maybe a part of Ubeaut's stand?

Ruffly, I love the file name of the group photo, sounds like you had fun!:D

wheelinround
22nd May 2010, 03:16 PM
Ok Wendy so what's on special??
What do you and those other forumites recomend ??
Have Munruben & artme turned up yet weighed down with pen blanks & kits.??

I see 043turning just across the way

RufflyRustic
22nd May 2010, 04:31 PM
:think: Wonder if I need to bring me back something to turn that wooden flute out of too.:whistling: :D Something else you can have a snoop around for Wendy.:cool:

I've got your purpleheart sorted and I'll add something for your flute too:)

:doh:I'll take some tomorrow

The stand is a great idea!

So Jealous of you all, hanging out for our Adelaide show.

Would a similar stand work in Adelaide? Maybe a part of Ubeaut's stand?

Ruffly, I love the file name of the group photo, sounds like you had fun!:D

Yes, I reckon a similar stand would work out in Adelaide, pick a Coordinator and go for it. :2tsup: Woops!!!! I should be a tad more careful with photo names:o:D

What's on special? There are/were heaps of thin box boards. I remember a stand inside with what looked like top-quality boards and long turning blanks of sass and huon and other timbers - just right for extra-large salt and pepper grinders. Nothing really jumped out at me in terms of superdooper specials though as I did a lot of speed browsing.... I hope to have more of a chance to browse again tomorrow:U

Lyle
22nd May 2010, 05:31 PM
Visited the stand on Fri.
Wendy I appologise for not saying g'day :-. You were computing busily away and I had a 'hot deal' to seal at the Carbatec stand with Wayne for the Tormek T-7.
Great bargain, saved over $300 but it took some arm-bending :D.

I watched Guilio demonstrating turning a winged bowl and bowl with scalloped rim. Very impressed. Now I need to modify my lathe to have an indexing ring and I'll be set.

After about 5 hours I'd had enough and battled the traffic back out to Ipswich.

Cliff Rogers
22nd May 2010, 06:42 PM
Woops!!!! I should be a tad more careful with photo names:o:D..
I got my virtual hug from .... looks like I missed out on the Friday.... umm... special? :p

munruben
22nd May 2010, 07:13 PM

I see 043turning just across the wayYes, we turned up first thing this morning Ray. Met up outside with Neil (dai sensei) and John (Gawdelus) Greeted by another John (black hole) and it snowballed from there Cliff Rogers, Shannon (Robomanic) Peter (Star) Phil (Prime Mover) and the Royal family at the Ubeaut stand.
My apologies to those I have left out, I met so many is difficult to recall everyone's name off the top of my head.
Arthur and I did our stint at the forum stand and made the stand our base for the day so it was great to have somewhere to keep coming back to and talk to so many friendly people.
Unfortunately we didn't catch up with Wendy today, she wasn't there, but I heard she did a wonderful job yesterday and is due back again tomorrow.

The show was good, not as busy as most exhibitors would have liked probably but there was a good steady crowd so hopefully everyone did well.

043 turning was just opposite the forum stand and had some good stuff to browse over.

I ended up buying a couple of bandsaw blades, a few pen kits and couple of blanks. 3 bottles of Ryobi PVA glue for $10 a 7mm drill bit and some pen bushes. Nothing major this year but it was a great day.

It was terrific to meet up with some more forumites and put a face to some more names. Thanks guys for a great day.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Christos
22nd May 2010, 08:10 PM

I ended up buying a couple of bandsaw blades, a few pen kits and couple of blanks.

I am not going to say the obvious. :B

Yeah I am, He guessed right. :U Good to see that you had a good time.

tea lady
23rd May 2010, 12:50 AM
I've got your purpleheart sorted and I'll add something for your flute too:)

:2tsup::D tell I'll pay him back when he gets back to Tooradin.:cool::D I hope someone is keeping him supplied with tea, He gets a bit dehydrated if he doesn't have a cuppa ever 1/2 hour or so. :D :sofa:

I got my virtual hug from .... virtical hug? :dunce: :mindboggle:

I ended up buying a couple of bandsaw blades, a few pen kits and couple of blanks. 3 bottles of Ryobi PVA glue for $10 a 7mm drill bit and some pen bushes. Nothing major this year but it was a great day.

couple of blanks? A couple is only 2 you know.:rolleyes::D

Cliff Rogers
23rd May 2010, 11:13 AM
...virtical hug? :dunce: :mindboggle:
Like a Claytons hug 'cos there was no way he was going to hug me, or me him. :D

munruben
23rd May 2010, 11:48 AM
couple of blanks? A couple is only 2 you know.:rolleyes::DWeeeel maybe 3 :D

dai sensei
23rd May 2010, 02:06 PM
Had a ball yesterday meeting up with heaps of forumites, new and old :2tsup:

Many of the members hung around to socialise and take advantage of the Forum Lounge's seating, tea & coffee facilities. Early birds also got to have some of my home made banana and chocolate with choc-chip muffins I brought along :cool:.

Strange how we had more foruminte visitors than volunteers, although some were convinced to hang around and help out :rolleyes:

Afterwards a select few got to go out to dinner at Hoggs Breath for hearty steaks and outragous deserts :U:2tsup:. From left myself, John (Gawdelous), Neil (Ubeat), Chris (Chris Vesper), Pauline (Mrs Ubeaut), Julie (Mrs ) and Ian ()
Cheers

ForumDemo
23rd May 2010, 02:43 PM
Funkychicken reporting from the Brisbane Woodshow. It's the last day here but the crowds are still thick and sweaty. The forum stand has had more than a few people interested so you might see some new faces on the forum soon.

Wendy, Wizened, Enfield Guy, Blackhole and a few others who I've forgtten are here at the moment. It's one big sawdusty party here

Signing off,
Andrew

wheelinround
23rd May 2010, 02:45 PM
So do Chickens drive or are they still driven oh foul one :;

Enfield Guy
23rd May 2010, 05:51 PM
Just got back from the show. A good day seemed to be had by all. Like the feathered one says there should be a few more forumites soon. It was nice to meet Neil and as well as all the others. Just bought a couple of books, a vesper square and a bottle of he who shall be obeyed's shellawax. Now Wendy will have to put the pics up to show that it REALLY happened.

Anyone who gets an opportunity to help out at one of these type of events will find it to be a great experience. If ya don't, ya would be a dill!!!!

Cheers
Bevan

Chesand
23rd May 2010, 07:07 PM
J

Anyone who gets an opportunity to help out at one of these type of events will find it to be a great experience. If ya don't, ya would be a dill!!!!

Cheers
Bevan

We told you that you would enjoy the experience:U:U

tea lady
23rd May 2010, 07:51 PM
Afterwards a select few got to go out to dinner at Hoggs Breath for hearty steaks and outragous deserts :U:2tsup:. From left myself, John (Gawdelous), Neil (Ubeat), Chris (Chris Vesper), Pauline (Mrs Ubeaut), Julie (Mrs ) and Ian ()
Cheers:oo: 's shaved again. :rolleyes: No pics of the deserts though, so they never happened.:D

RufflyRustic
24th May 2010, 10:12 AM
Not much can compete with your choc ripple cakes TeaLady, so we didn't even try :D 's got some timber for you :)

Chesand - you were so right! Everyone who turned up/helped out had a wonderful time.

Maybe next time Cliff :rolleyes::;:D

I got a few more books and some interesting pieces of timber - yes, I did go back and get the spalted silver ash:B - yellowbox, spalted silver ash, leatherwood and lightly-spalted red ash. I also had a wonderful time asking questions of Stuart from the Sturt School of Wood. Stuart has given me some very good instructions on how to further my design studies and to start pushing, nay, exploding the self-imposed design boundaries in my woodwork. It certainly is making me view my boxes in a completely different light.

Pictures!! Here they are!

Groggy
24th May 2010, 12:30 PM
Well done Ruffles, I'm sure you enjoyed yourself. I hope all the volunteers found it enjoyable too; a chance to meet some faces and it is good to have a place to leave things and get a cuppa while thinking about your next move.

The cleanup should have taken a lot less time than the initial setup, hope you had helpers for that too.

Good job! :2tsup:

tea lady
24th May 2010, 07:21 PM
Not much can compete with your choc ripple cakes TeaLady, so we didn't even try :D 's got some timber for you :)

:cool: Yayy! Pressies.:D

I got a few more books and some interesting pieces of timber - yes, I did go back and get the spalted silver ash:B - yellowbox, spalted silver ash, leatherwood and lightly-spalted red ash. I also had a wonderful time asking questions of Stuart from the Sturt School of Wood. Stuart has given me some very good instructions on how to further my design studies and to start pushing, nay, exploding the self-imposed design boundaries in my woodwork. It certainly is making me view my boxes in a completely different light.

Pictures!! Here they are!L look forward to seeing the new faze of Ruffly boxes. :cool::U

RufflyRustic
24th May 2010, 09:13 PM
Visited the stand on Fri.
Wendy I appologise for not saying g'day :-. You were computing busily away and I had a 'hot deal' to seal at the Carbatec stand with Wayne for the Tormek T-7.
Great bargain, saved over $300 but it took some arm-bending :D.

Hi Lyle, that is some bargain you wangled for the Tormek!! I heard you in the background but when I'd turned around, you'd already hotfooted it off to seal the deal - Smart man:U Never let a deal like that grow cold. Glad it worked out for you:2tsup:

I'm looking forward to seeing the new designs too, TL:D

And now the Thank yous.

Groggy - for your advice, support and powerpoint display
DJ - for fixing up a couple of my monumental stuff-ups before anyone else noticed.:doh:
Bob38s - Sir, you are a Gentleman! It was an honour to have worked alongside you on the stand.
Bevan - Such fun, as always:D
journeymanMick - you should have seen what the Festool guys did on Sunday!:o
dai sensei - muffins and fun and helping me find that special piece of leather wood.
blackhole - a very deep & heartfelt Thank You. It was a pleasure sharing the time together.
To everyone else who dropped by and said hello, to everyone else who manned the stand, to everyone who appreciated the Forum Lounge.
To Liz for organising the Forum Lounge, the tea and coffee, and for rearranging the area so we could have the Forum demo'd at the front of the stand.

But most of all, thank you Neil, Pauline and .

:yourock2::thanx2:

Cliff Rogers
24th May 2010, 09:45 PM
:2tsup:

blackhole
24th May 2010, 09:58 PM
I would like to volunteer for next years show.

Cliff Rogers
24th May 2010, 10:10 PM
Good on ya. :2tsup:

RufflyRustic
25th May 2010, 09:27 AM
I would like to volunteer for next years show.

http://www.ubeaut.biz/jawdrop.gif

I'm in too :D:2tsup:

dai sensei
25th May 2010, 10:31 PM
Mee too :U

Also thought this photo was worth blowing up :cool: What a great shot of you two :2tsup:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f135/137660d1274656279-calling-volunteers-man-woodwork-forums-stand-brisbane-t-www-show-neil_wendy1.jpg

wood hacker
26th May 2010, 01:56 PM
Had an absolute ball so count me in again for next year.

Tim the Timber Turner
27th May 2010, 08:58 PM
Mee too :U

Also thought this photo was worth blowing up :cool: What a great shot of you two :2tsup:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f135/137660d1274656279-calling-volunteers-man-woodwork-forums-stand-brisbane-t-www-show-neil_wendy1.jpg

Jees! whos the bird playing up to Neil??:oo:

Don't tell Pauline.:no:

Quick Neil, remove all the evidence before she sees it.:2tsup:

RufflyRustic
28th May 2010, 09:59 AM
:giggle:

Bob38S
28th May 2010, 10:50 AM
Had a great time and all being OK next year, I will gladly put in some time to help out at the next one.

Met some great people and picked up some knowledge myself.

Of the people I spoke to re the forum all were surprised, pleased and went on their way talking positives and said they would have a look. Only 1 was a negative, [he hated computers and swore he would never have anything to do with them]. Of all the positives, the one that gave me the most pleasure was a deaf mute couple who seemed thrilled that this was a great practical way for them to communicate - the lady was also impressed with our woodworking women section of the forum.

It was really an advantage when the potential forumite was asked what their main interest was to go to the computer and show them what was available in their interest area - eg, the interests included - boxes, making chairs, using a lathe, finishing etc - you get the picture.

Regards,
Bob

RETIRED
28th May 2010, 07:05 PM
Of all the positives, the one that gave me the most pleasure was a deaf mute couple who seemed thrilled that this was a great practical way for them to communicate - the lady was also impressed with our woodworking women section of the forum.

The hardest demo I have ever done but also the most pleasurable.:D

Jim Carroll
28th May 2010, 09:34 PM
the one that gave me the most pleasure was a deaf mute couple who seemed thrilled that this was a great practical way for them to communicate - the lady was also impressed with our woodworking women section of the forum.

It was really an advantage when the potential forumite was asked what their main interest was to go to the computer and show them what was available in their interest area - eg, the interests included - boxes, making chairs, using a lathe, finishing etc - you get the picture.

Regards,
Bob

Terry and his wife are a really sweet couple who dont let their disabilities slow them down.:2tsup: