PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Bowl Turning Attachment

steck
12th May 2010, 12:22 PM
Has anyone used one of these from Hare & Forbes? It's only $99 which is a lot cheaper than other outboard turning systems. ( >$500)
ANy idea whether it would fit on a Jet 1642 lathe? Does anyone know how it attaches?

Stock item W387A

artme
12th May 2010, 03:49 PM
Steck,the lathes from H&F and from Sth. East. Qld Woodworking Suppliesseem to be modelled on the big Jets.

If that is the case then the banjo - the part in the lower right hand corner of your picture - simply goes onto the bed of your lathe in place of your current banjo. The other parst then fit as per the pic. Adjust to suit work, crank up the lathe and away you go.

munruben
12th May 2010, 04:03 PM
The whole thing comes complete so as artme has said, "it should fit" Why not give a quick phone call to H&F and ask.

rsser
12th May 2010, 04:03 PM
I've used something similar on a Taiwanese MC900 and it worked OK. Just don't get too ambitious with bowl size. The prob is flex in the joins. And though I can't give you an answer, the more specific questions are (a) how far out will it reliably perform, and (b) where will it position the tool rest in regard to bowl hollowing, as you need a bit of vertical space.

HTH

Drillit
12th May 2010, 04:37 PM
Hi Steck,
What is said above is true. However, you have a limited bowl diameter using this method. To turn larger bowls you need to get the short extension bed that screws in the front (next to the handle for tightening head stock) and then use the outboard tool rest etc from this extension and turn your headstock 180. As these comments apply only to HF models, I dont know if the outboard bits and pieces are otherwise compatible so that you can turn larger bowls on the Jet (say 250mm plus). Hope this helps. Drillit.

WOODY70
12th May 2010, 07:06 PM
Has anyone used one of these from Hare & Forbes? It's only $99 which is a lot cheaper than other outboard turning systems. ( >$500)
ANy idea whether it would fit on a Jet 1642 lathe? Does anyone know how it attaches?

Stock item W387A
Steck,

The outrigger is bolted to the end leg of the lathe. I feel the unit actually needs a support leg to go to the ground under the end of the extension.
You could bolt this to the Jet 1642. Just set it at the right height.:2tsup:

Cheers
Dave
S/E Qld Woodworking Supplies

Allen Neighbors
13th May 2010, 04:03 AM
Steck,

The outrigger is bolted to the end leg of the lathe. I feel the unit actually needs a support leg to go to the ground under the end of the extension.
You could bolt this to the Jet 1642. Just set it at the right height.:2tsup:

Cheers
Dave
S/E Qld Woodworking Supplies

I agree with Dave. I believe it would be a great benefit to have a leg that goes to the floor. It could be made fairly easily. I used one of these with a Grizzly lathe, and the Banjo snapped, with just a medium catch. :oo: The leg to the floor would have decreased the amount of flex, and the cast iron banjo would probably have stayed intact. :2tsup:

issatree
13th May 2010, 05:44 AM
Hi Steck,
I think I have it right, but doesn't the head move to the right, to the end of the bed.
So therefore, you only have to make a 3 legged ( tripod ) stand to take your tool rest.
The 2 pieces are almost at 90Deg. & the back leg can be 45 or more Deg.
Most likely you will have to put a bag of sand on it, to stop it from moving.
That other device would bounce in my opinion, & like they said, it would need a piece to the floor, to keep it stable.
We met at Grumpy's.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

NeilS
13th May 2010, 10:43 AM
Have used that type of toolpost arrangement at the local Men's Shed and it felt very flimsy to me. It had a lot of vibration when fully extended.

Agree with Dave, solid floor posts (mono-pods) provide better stability in outboard turning rigs, but I don't know of any generic aftermarket options.

If you make a tripod, as suggested by Issatree, add a partial floor plate (at least to one leg, preferably between two) so that you can stand on it to anchor and increase stability.

Woodfast does sell a 'tripod', if you prefer to buy one, here (http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php?p=1_8) (towards bottom of page).

joe greiner
13th May 2010, 09:14 PM
Too flimsy for my turning skills. It would likely shatter at the first catch. Better to have a direct load path to the floor.

Do a forum search for [outboard tool rest] under Woodturning - General, to get about 45 hits for suggestions.

Cheers,
Joe

steck
13th May 2010, 10:10 PM
you have all managed to cover most of my concerns re flimsiness - I have my doubts , too.
I have only managed to get hold of 2 pieces of wood that I had to do outboard in the 2 years I have been turning so I don't want to spend $500 on a stand.
I just turned a big bowl out of very very hard SPotted Gum ( I think) using a homemade tripod stand. It worked, but it was very slow and hard work just to get it roughed out.
Thanks for all your advice and comments.
Like all of us I want a Rolls Royce stand on a push bike budget! LOL
I might have a look at H&F and see if it will take a solid pole to the ground.

Issatree,
I remember meeting you at Grumpy John's. It was avery interesting day! Cheers!:2tsup: