PDA

View Full Version : PLS Help Identify this Old Pillar Drill

PukMun
13th May 2010, 10:36 PM
This is an old drill I picked up from a garage sale a while back, had a bit of a clean up since then.
Runs off an old 'Turner' washer motor 1/4 hp and through flywheel to rubber wheel to turn spindle and adjust speed in forward and reverse.
Can't find any info or pics on the net, maybe someone can shed some light as to it's maker (at least 60 years old) and origins.
Bloke I bought it off used it as a kid, he's now retired. It came back into his possession but he knew little about it, and parted ways.
It's heavy of course, neat casting of some tough cast iron. Runs true with no play in babbet or quill when greased up. Has no 'ball bearings', uses grease caps instead on drive shaft and holes to shoot grease into on the spindle.
There are no markings of any kind, it has a ABINGDON spanner on the speed wheel holding bolt, could be a replacement as it differs to the basic looking cast one on the table holding bolt.
And the chuck is Jacob's, with a 1902 patent...
Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Woodlee
15th May 2010, 10:18 PM
Cant help with identification ,but an interesting method of driving the spindle and varying the speed .
I have come across this before in a more modern machine .
It was a Cincinnati milling machine and the X and Y table feed drive gearboxes used the friction disc principal to vary the feed rates.
BTW a nice find there .Im sure it will give many more years of faithfull service ,not much can go wrong with a simple design like that.

Kev