PDA

View Full Version : Kelton Hollowing Rig

Grant Mack
15th May 2010, 06:49 PM
Hello All,
Does anybody have any experience with the Kelton Hollowing Rig and if so what are your thoughts on it?
Regards
Grant MacK

rsser
16th May 2010, 03:21 PM
Did a semi-enclosed form out of Elm with several of the shafts under the guidance of my turning teacher some years ago. This was all freehand. Wouldn't have the strength in the hands now.

Simple design; works on the scraping principle but cuts fairly cleanly.

I expect the shafts are std sizes and would fit captured or articulated arm hollowing rigs. Can't recall whether Kelton offer their own. Expect so.

By the time you've got several shafts and a rig the costs mount up.

If you don't want to go that deep take a look at the Munro and Woodcut Proforme offerings.

robo hippy
19th May 2010, 02:45 AM
A friend of mine gave me his set to play around with. I used them free hand in my coring tool handle. I don't do a lot of hollow forms, but did really like them, and ended up getting the entire set. It seems that there are two options in hollowing tools. The swan necked ones with different curves, and the ones with a bit in a holder that swivels so you can come in at different angles. I prefer the swan necked ones, mostly because it is easier for me to swap out blades that it is for me to adjust the cutter. You can also use a smaller hole with the swan necked ones than you can with the bit cutters, but that really isn't a big thing. With the swan necked ones, you do have to keep the straight part of the bar on the tool rest, and never have the curved part on. The blades will fit into any D type captured bar type system. I have never tried the McNaughton set up, but it should work. I do prefer the McNaughton for roughing out the inside of a form, which I do free hand with the laser pointer on that I use when coring, and the carbide discs for the finish cuts.

robo hippy

INVENTOR
19th May 2010, 10:13 PM
Hello Grant, just to be clear, are you asking about the dedicated hollowing rig (with 3 parallel bars) that fit the Kelton hollowers? It is an uncomplicated design.

As you might be aware the latest versions of their Centre savers ( MK8) also have a fitting to use as a hollowing rig.However not a dedicated hollowing rig.

I think that Kelton are producing a new design of their 3 bar Hollowing rig that now uses a collet locking system to hold the hollowing tools ( the same system as their new ER2516 handles) so your tools are quick to change and they don't get damaged by grub screws etc. Best to check with them for exact details, as their web site is still under construction. Or check with one of their Australian distributors, Woodworking Warehouse (one of the forum sponsors) Although their web site also needs work on the photos etc of Kelton tools.

Hope this helps

Grant Mack
20th May 2010, 09:48 PM
Inventor,
You hit the nail on the head as yes it is the three parallel bar dedicated hollowing system I was asking about.
I have just recently bought some Kelton hollowing tools and the ER25 handle but am buying by remote control as no-one in WA stocks the items so cannot see before buying.
My next question is, do my existing handles fit the rig or does the rig already come set up with tool fastening systems eg the new collet system you mention.
As you say Kelton's site is under construction and WWh who I bought my existing chisels off use descriptions from Kel's site with no further info.
Many thanks to everyone for the responses.
Grant MacKinnon

INVENTOR
20th May 2010, 10:23 PM
Grant, unfortunately the stockists of Kelton tools, DICK tools in Europe, Toolpost in the UK, etc and the Australian distributors don't seem to post much info on their web pages regarding the tools. A real shame.
You can see the old version at Lee Valley Kelton Hollowing Rigs - Lee Valley Tools (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=49123&cat=1,330,49232&ap=1)

You probably need to drop Kel McNaughton an email for more details of the new unit.

From what I know, I think the new hollowing rig uses a ER32 collet system (same system as the bigger brother of the ER25 handle) as ER32 collets will hold up to 19mm shaft tools, as used on the largest of the Kelton hollowers. (Whereas your ER25 handle only up to 16mm.)

There are 3 YouTube videos by Wilford Bickel on the Collet ER2516 handles. He doesn't show the ER32 handle, but its a larger version of the ER25.

The beauty of the ER32 collet on the new rig ( and the ER32 handle) is that each ER collet has a 1mm clamping range ( so can fit various size shafts) and you simple change the collet to suit the smaller hollowing tools (as ER collets go down to 2mm in 1mm increments) Also there are no grub screws to damage the shafts.

I hope this helps, I would confirm what I have said with Kelton, however.

rsser
21st May 2010, 09:01 AM
Kelton Industries. Standard Hollowing Rig (http://www.kelton.co.nz/hollowing_rig_standard.html)

Click on the pic.

Grant Mack
21st May 2010, 09:36 PM
Many thanks for the responses.
I had actually emailed Kel for more info but haven't heard anything to date of posting this thread response.
Mind you I am not too sure at the moment about both work & personal email reliabilities!
I had a very good response from him to a previous question I sent earlier this year about the carving jig.
So at the moment I am still relying on pictures from websites and trying to build a mental picture of- do I need a hollowing rig?!
regards
Grant MacKinnon
PS-I see I still have a little blue square-look top right-caught Ya!

rsser
21st May 2010, 09:55 PM
Kel's a better tool maker than a marketer.

Grant Mack
21st May 2010, 11:21 PM
Not to mention that he is a reasonably competent turner as well-:) that's why I am going down the path of trying to source some of his gear as I know it is tried and tested by him.
Cheers
Grant

INVENTOR
22nd May 2010, 09:05 AM
Grant, I know that he gets turners to test his tools. If you don't hear from Kel, you might want to contact Terry Scott from NZ ( he has a web site) and often helps out tuners with info, on forums.
I think he has a a hollowing rig and does some beautiful work.

hughie
22nd May 2010, 10:16 AM
From my point of view its one of the most versatile corers available. But it does have a steep learning curve and this can be daunting for some.

The earlier ones I saw did not have TCT tips and I often thought this would be a worth while up grade as they would last longer than HSS.