PDA

View Full Version : buttons for longworth chuck

Tiger
16th May 2010, 11:38 PM
I recall buying some tapered rubber door stops when I made my last longworth chuck from Bunnies. I made some enquiries at both Bunnies and Clark Rubber and neither had anything that was tapered except for very large stoppers.

Are these door stops available or could I use something else? I've made the rest of the longworth chuck, I'd like to finish it soon so that I continue with projects. Perhaps door stops aren't the best material to use, if so, what are my options?

gidgee 1
17th May 2010, 07:45 AM
Tiger
I have just made a couple of Longworths.I used the rubber tips that are pushed over the ends of legs,use the appropriate sized dowel,drill a hole in the dowel-jobs done.
I purchased the tips from bunnings.

cheers
gidgee 1

Big Shed
17th May 2010, 08:44 AM
Saw a tip in Woodturning magazine #185, pg 46, using screw in studs for soccer boots.

Worth a look.

Calm
17th May 2010, 09:22 AM
Here are the right ones (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/category/-supernova-2-and-g3-chuck-js-cole-cole-jaws) - with the extensions it allows you to hold odd shaped bowls that don't have a lip right on the edge. postage will get them to you overnight.

cheers

david

stevew
17th May 2010, 10:01 AM
Clark rubber have a good selection of tapered plugs.you just gave to drill them yourself.

Allen Neighbors
17th May 2010, 10:57 AM
Tiger, I used cane tips. 1/2" i.d. My bolts are 1/4" carriage bolts with wingnuts. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the center of the cane tip. I then cut a short piece of 1/4" i.d. vinyl tubing to fit inside of the cane tip. Then inserted the bolt with the head of the bolt against the hole in the cane tip. With a washer between the cane tip and the wood of the longworth, and another washer and the wingnut on the outside. The vinyl tube allows the tip to collapse and expand, but not too much. They are really good buttons that fit every type of bowl I've put on it, so far. Hope this is a little more clear than mud.

Tiger
17th May 2010, 12:03 PM
Thanks, boys, should be able to finish this off for now.

Haven't drilled the finger-holes yet, where should they be drilled for maximum efficiency of these chucks?

Texian
17th May 2010, 03:16 PM
Sounds like "problem solved", but for ref. I used one hole rubber stoppers from a laboratory supply company. Inexpensive, holes were well centered and tight fit on 1/4-20 UNC bolts. Hmm, 6.35 mm. Maybe not. And never use the Longworth (insufficient grip from aforesaid stoppers) now. Friction, jam, or doughnut chuck easier and better. Never mind.

Allen Neighbors
18th May 2010, 09:32 AM
Thanks, boys, should be able to finish this off for now.

Haven't drilled the finger-holes yet, where should they be drilled for maximum efficiency of these chucks?

Tiger, just for convenience, I should have opened the jaws fully, and drilled the holes around the outside edge, about 4 inches apart. Didn't, but should have. :doh::rolleyes:

joe greiner
18th May 2010, 09:37 PM
If you drill half-holes (easy with a Forstner bit) around the rim of the back disk, you can operate it one-handed, while the other hand supports the bowl. Like this: http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/my-longworth-version-1-a-50923/

I wouldn't be too concerned about "efficiency" of the finger hole placement. As long as they allow enough material away from the slots, more is better.

Also, for insurance, wrap tape (filament best, masking tape OK) around the bowl to the back of the back disk. Fold a flap (~5mm) of tape at each end for ease of removal.

Cheers,
Joe

hughie
18th May 2010, 09:50 PM
I should have opened the jaws fully, and drilled the holes around the outside edge, about 4 inches apart. Didn't, but should have. :doh:

yeah me to, so don't feel too bad. :U

Texian
19th May 2010, 04:42 AM
Both discs of my last Longworth were fairly thick so I drilled radial holes (that 6.35 mm again) around the edges of both discs, used two lengths of steel rod like tommy bars to tighten the chuck. Could get it close, then hold the work with one hand and tighten with the other, then tighten the stopper bolts whilst holding the "tommy bars".