PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Limestone

Toddy
23rd September 2004, 05:04 PM
Hi all,
I am trying to find a recipe for liquid limestone (LL).
LL being a mixture of crushed limestone cream cement, gravel on the top(maybe) . Landscapers often use LL for curbing and pathways (which is what I want to use it for). The guy at the sand supply didn't know the recipe either but said you have to get the mix "fluffy". I coulldn't think of any other additives. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Cheers
Todd :)

johnc
23rd September 2004, 06:59 PM
You can use Limil as a filler when your stuck with a course mix, don't know about the fluffy bit.

JohnC

hexbaz
23rd September 2004, 07:14 PM
Seems to me that Liquid Limestone is an Aussie trade name for fancy poured concrete.
I've certainly never heard the term in UK. :confused:

For instance ... http://www.liquidlimestone.com.au/6.html

vsquizz
23rd September 2004, 07:58 PM
Liquid Limestone is made of the same stuff as re-constituted limestone pavers and bricks. Commercially it is called LimeCrete and is poured/pumped into formwork in the same manner as concrete. The beauty of it is well... have you ever sat/stood on a hot piece of limestone??. It doesn't get anywhere near as hot as concrete and wont burn the soles off your kids feet in mid summer.

The crushed limestone replaces the aggregate/blue metal and also, because of the sand like content, some of the sand you would normally add. You use brickies lite, crushed limestone and yellow sand. The trick in finishing is to wait until its almost cured (24-48hrs) and then scavels the surfaces and smooth the top with a lite mix, this makes it less pervious to oil etc.

I was recently quoted a grand for a slab in coloured concrete or $1'230.00 for the same job in LimeCrete so that gives you an idea of costs. It looks sensational. Beats the hell out of grey concrete driveways. Don't know what it is like for stain resistance. Its physical specs should be available as all the recon limestone blocks are the same thing.

Toddy: PM me and I can give you some contact details for the guy who quoted me. He normally does concrete work and may know the ratios for the recipe.

Cheers

Toddy
29th September 2004, 03:30 PM
Hi all,
Thanks for getting back to me. Vsquizz, you have hit the nail on the head in terms if info. Will send you a PM.
Cheers

Todd

"Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares?.....He's a mile away and you have got his shoes!" - Billy Connolly