PDA

View Full Version : Big Skews

pommyphil
23rd May 2010, 05:07 PM
What happened to 2" skew chisels ? Most of the old books, Frank Pain, etc,

recommend them for planing but I've never seen them for sale. Are they out of fashion,

too expensive in HSS ? Would be handy for large diameter spindles.

Phil

bobsreturn2003
23rd May 2010, 06:17 PM
got one its hss and made in nz came with some gear i got with a lathe much nicer than a small one possibly a wood cut . dont know if they are still made. cheers Bob

rsser
23rd May 2010, 07:04 PM
Have had a few big Henry Taylors, maybe 1 1/4".

Can't see why you'd need bigger for planing. There's not that much edge in contact with the wood.

Heft in planing may help stablise the tool but as one sage of the skew has said, the bevel should rub but the wood shouldn't know it ;-}

Sawdust Maker
23rd May 2010, 07:43 PM
have seen a comment that the bigger the skew the bigger the sweet spot

issatree
23rd May 2010, 08:33 PM
Hi Pommyphil,
I bought a 40mm. P&N, many years ago. A Supplier of many years ago asked if I was interested in one.
Answer, "Blood Oath ". Paid $40 if I remember correctly.
Still use it now & again. So it was ; 40 x 8mm. Unhandled.
Great Tool because of its weight, & I have a curve on the Blade, & the Bevel is 16mm. + or - .
The same way R.Raffan does his. Good enough for him Good enough for me.
Maybe you could ask P&N, as they are in Maryborough, Vic.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

pommyphil
24th May 2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks for that gentlemen I felt the need for one turning a practice 100mm X100mm

table leg with an offset club foot,with a 1" skew the long point seemed very close to

the wood, and the sweet spot very small :oo: Phil

hughie
24th May 2010, 09:45 AM
If you cant get one new try second hand.

Chisels (http://www.toolexchange.com.au/chisels.htm)

Or make your own out of 2" wide chisel, as the difference between a standard and a Skew is only the grind.

Then to add a bit more confusion. :U

Crown Radiused Rolled Edge Skew Chisel : Buy Crown Radiused Rolled Edge Skew Chisel at Axminster Power Tool Centre (http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?src=08_wk11&pf_id=23472&cat_id=)

John Lucas
24th May 2010, 01:40 PM
I have a huge one. It's 3" wide and 3/8" thick. It is actually not as good as my 1 1/4" skew for turning large items. I thought it would be but it takes a lot of control to keep it from taking too large a bite. When it does it tries to self feed and you have to fight it.
I got it because I was turning some 6" spindles and thought it would keep the long point of the skew further from the wood. It does but I didn't have any trouble using the 1 1/4 Thompson skew with little danger as long as you watched where it's cutting.

rsser
24th May 2010, 02:03 PM
Hey John, don't know if you've been welcomed to the forum so far but if not, welcome!

I've enjoyed reading your posts on the AAW forum.

Pommyphil, you can get HSS blanks 40x10mm from McJing to DIY. Click (http://www.mcjing.com.au/categorybrowser.aspx?categoryid=75).

pommyphil
24th May 2010, 06:35 PM
Thanks Ern.I will get one.

Frank Pain, after 50yrs as a production turner around High Wycombe

recommended, in 1956 a 1/2" and a 2" as starter Skews, I just wondered why

we changed. Phil

brendan stemp
24th May 2010, 09:52 PM
Weld an axe head to a piece of steel for a handle and you will have a 4" skew chisel . Maybe bigger!

Harry72
24th May 2010, 10:11 PM
You trying to tempt there Brendan? :D

Cliff Rogers
24th May 2010, 10:13 PM
Dare I mention trying a plane? :rolleyes: :D

John Lucas
25th May 2010, 12:35 AM
Cliff I have tried a plane. It works if you want a truly flat plane on the wood. When I do my skew demo I use a side hatchet, draw knife, pocket knife, and plane. Terry Scott told me he uses a sharpened metal fence post. I liked that. The idea is to show them that a sharpened edge is a sharpened edge. It's just how you use it. I've been thinking about sharpening my little shovel I keep in the 4x4.