PDA

View Full Version : A couple of Burls

bowl-basher
24th May 2010, 05:51 PM
Hi All
I haven't been around much in the last few weeks as SWMBO has been rather crook in fact I have had her in hopital for 4 weeks but she is home now and on the mend:):)
the first platter is a red Mallee burl 250 dia X 50 high the grain is so good that I just had to leave it as simple as possible. the finish is sanded to 600 and EEE shellawax and 2 coats of Glow

The second one is a Red Gum Root Burl it is 340 on the longest axis 180 high the "Bowl" is 180 dia.. It was sanded to 400 with my rear end twitiching all the time So far it has had 3 coats of WOP and is shown here after being cut between coats I will probably put 5-6 coats on
Love to hear your comments
Regards
Bowl-Basher

Sebastiaan56
24th May 2010, 06:12 PM
Love to hear your comments
Regards
Bowl-Basher

So what brand of underpants did you wear to contain the exertions of that second bowl? Seriously, very nice, particularly the lines on the first bowl!

orraloon
24th May 2010, 06:16 PM
Great work BB,
Both are first rate.
Regards
John

rsser
24th May 2010, 06:18 PM
Great work BB.

How'd you mount the RMB to turn off the foot?

The RG root ball would've been quite a challenge. It's come up v. well.

My only 2c worth would be to suggest a slightly smaller bowl section in it and something a little more interesting to define the transition from flat to wall. A step or a bead maybe.

Sorry to hear of the missus' health problems. Hope she's come good.

mkypenturner
24th May 2010, 06:30 PM
i love the red mallee :2tsup: and the rg root burl looks challenging

troy

brendan stemp
24th May 2010, 07:45 PM
Well done BB, you are braver man than me. If you haven't already considered it, you definitely should enter these in the Aus Woodturning Exhibition. Entries close this week and can be downloaded from their website; theaustralianwoodturningexhibition.com

Pat
24th May 2010, 07:46 PM
The Mallee Burl is beautiful and MBGitW agrees. The RG root ball in natural edge just doesn't work for either of us, but alot of people like that style. Butt clenching exercises would help.

orificiam
24th May 2010, 07:55 PM
Congrat.BB Beautiful Wood and Beautiful Finish.:2tsup:
Cheers Tony.:)

Ad de Crom
24th May 2010, 08:01 PM
Graham, spectacular wood, shows off very well.
Ad :2tsup:

bowl-basher
24th May 2010, 08:14 PM
Great work BB.

How'd you mount the RMB to turn off the foot?

The RG root ball would've been quite a challenge. It's come up v. well.

My only 2c worth would be to suggest a slightly smaller bowl section in it and something a little more interesting to define the transition from flat to wall. A step or a bead maybe.

Sorry to hear of the missus' health problems. Hope she's come good.
Hey Rsser
The Mallee was reversed in my coles jaws and the red gum was with a jam chuck
regards
BB

artme
24th May 2010, 08:33 PM
Sorry to hear the boss hasn't been well. Hope she is now well and truly on the mend.:)

Very good and very brave turning old mate.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

You must now have super strong sphincter muscles.

Mrs Woodpecker
24th May 2010, 08:34 PM
Have not tried a burl item yet. Seeing your beauties makes me keener than ever. Glad your wife is on the mend.
Cheers, Shirley

dai sensei
24th May 2010, 08:46 PM
That grain in the red mallee is amazing :cool:, beautiful job :2tsup:

Claw Hama
24th May 2010, 09:28 PM
Both fantastic pieces, grand work indeed. Will wait to see whats next. Best wishes for the boss.

Cliff Rogers
24th May 2010, 09:47 PM
I have some red mallee root from KenW, I hope it turns out as good as that. :2tsup:

rsser
25th May 2010, 11:43 AM
If turned green, RMB dries with a kind of orange peel texture. Good effect.

Sadly, the purple goes brown though.

Ed Reiss
25th May 2010, 12:05 PM
Nice work BB :2tsup:

Will say a prayer for the wife's speedy recovery.