PDA

View Full Version : home made band saws

tong
25th September 2004, 09:42 AM
Has anyone on here built a bandsaw?...I have read some articles in relation to this and seems like it is not impossible. Could bicycle wheels be utilised? would they withstand the tension needed for the blade? I am thinking of a saw in the larger end of the range, possibly 20 inch?, at least 14 inch anyway...
any thoughts?

duckman
25th September 2004, 11:39 AM
G'day Tong,

There was an article in Fine Woodworking Magazine describing a method for constructing a band saw almost entirely out of timber. I read it in a book that I borrowed from my local public libray which was a collection of articles that had been published in FWW over the preceding years.

I ascertained that the plans were still available, however my attempts to purchase a copy from Taunton Publishing were unsuccessful. In fact, as a result of my dealings with Taunton on this matter, I resolved to never purchase any of their publications.

FWIW, the pulleys in this particular bandsaw were made from two laminations of 3/4 inch (approx. 19mm) plywood with a bicylce inner tube stretched around them.

Unfortunately, I can't point you to any references on the web, nor do I have the book details handy. :(

Oops, I tell a lie. The article is titled "Shopmade Bandsaw. Plywood and basic tools build the saw." By William Corneil. July 1987 65-60-63

HTH,

Mark.

derekcohen
25th September 2004, 04:44 PM
Tong

Why?

Regards from Perth

Derek

vsquizz
25th September 2004, 05:34 PM
Tong, My old man has built one out of two bicycle wheels and a washing machine motor. He uses it for meat. Frightens the crappers out of me.

Cheers

tong
25th September 2004, 08:54 PM
Derek, why indeed? well, I can only say, why not? it's gotta be cheaper than a quality factory built machine, and there is not much to them after all.

on reflection: why build anything? why attempt any project, and what is wrong with function over form in any case?

derekcohen
25th September 2004, 10:08 PM
Hi Tong

Don't mistake my question as suggesting disapproval - I applaud those building jigs, tools and equipment, or modifying them creatively. I have done a bit myself. I guess that I look at a bandsaw as one of those machines that, while essentially simple in design, needs to be substantial and accurate to perform as a woodworking tool. After all, it is used for delicate cuts, such as resawing. Production machines are generally quite cheap these days and, unless you are going to design and build something significantly better than what is available (certainly something a lot larger than a 14" machine), or build something that will do a specific task, then perhaps you would be better buying something since I can't imagine that price should be a big factor at the lower ranges of available machines. Or, unless you want the challenge (I do understand that one!). I was just curious when I asked "why".

Regards from Perth

Derek

Toggy
25th September 2004, 10:09 PM
I have seen one made with 28" bike rims many years ago when we didn't have many on the market. Everyone who had used it at the boatyard raved about it. The speed was kept down though.

I mate also built one around 1970 by using two very large V belt pulleys he bought cheap. For a tyre he bought a new V belt and cut it to make a tight join, then glued it in with contact adhesive. Worked very well.

Ken

bitingmidge
25th September 2004, 10:25 PM
The August 1987 issue of FWW had an article entitled Shopbuilt Bandsaw: Plywood and basic tools built the saw by William Corneil.

At about that time there were a whole heap of shop-built machinery plans kicking around, including a drum sander which seems to have been a bit unsuccessful (why else would it have disappeared?). There was a whole book of them at one point but it went missing from the Brisbane Library System- it was an FWW publication.

This article is included on the FWW CD, but looks like an awful lot of work to me, and probably more cost than a cheapie (which admittedly will require tuning, but at least it isn't going to burn down!).

Cheers,

P :rolleyes:

echnidna
25th September 2004, 10:30 PM
There is a set of drawings in the files section of http://groups.yahoo.com/group/shopbuilttools.
for a bandsaw and many other tools

gatiep
26th September 2004, 12:01 AM
My stories about home made tools by my Dad in the 1950's are in other posts. Well I grew up on a homemade, bandsaw,tablesaw,lathe and spindle moulder. We didn't have electricity or a welder, so everything was driven off the tractor's power take off pulley and everything was bolted together. The bandsaw had steel spoked wheels probably off some farm implement. I know it had a tyre, don't know what, possible a car innertube cut into a ring.

There was no money, he was farming in a hale belt, no electricity, but he had abundance of energy, drive, imagination and determination. One day when I have a digicam here I'll photograph a table, seats 12, that he made with ball and claw legs. He made only 6 chairs though. It is so big that I have to remove the top to get it through standard doors. All solid Kiaat timber he felled on the farm where I was born.

Most importantly he was self taught with almost no handtools except a brace, two stanly hand planes, a few bits, chisels, 2 handsaws, a Spear & Jackson tennon saw and some sash clamps, a hammer, etc. To finish the articles before polishing he used glass offcuts from the glass merchant as scrapers.

Maybe we ( especially me ) have it too easy with an abundance of tools.

He was a great Father, great Man, great Farmer, great Friend and a great Teacher of his skills.

"Thanks Dad for the great things you taught me and the fantastic example you set.........to you being poor and very little education was just another challenge not a hurdle"

I salute You Dad!

:)

Come on guys nothing beats being inventive and going for your goals. Live your Dreams, they may never materialise but it is great to have a dream. A person without a dream has a very bleak future. Keep on making saw dust, even if only in your dreams.....you don't need a dusty in the 'dream workshop'

derekcohen
26th September 2004, 01:14 AM
Joe

What wonderful memories. Thank you for sharing them.

I agree with the sentiments of both your dad and made by Tong earlier on. I certainly get much more satisfacton building something using tools I have made myself than with expensive tools I have bought.

Regards from Perth

Derek

gatiep
26th September 2004, 02:01 AM
You bet, thanks Derek.

It is amazing how often when I use a technique, that the actual moment of him teaching me that technique flashes by in my mind. He's gone to the happy hunting ground in 1989, fortunately the memories and the skills he taught me are still with me.

Just looking around me in the house I see heaps of furniture that he made. The last time I made a ball n claw leg I recalled him using a medium size Vicks Vaporub tin to mark the circles for the balls on the chair front legs and a large Zambuk ( an antiseptic ointment in S Africa ) tin for the balls on the table legs. I still use the same carving chisel he used to carve them.

Lets face it some of those old inhereted handtools just never give up.

Ave a good one

:)

tong
26th September 2004, 07:16 AM
Gatiep, nice words...thanx ...

BTW, is Perth by the sea, perth as in WA?... my family came from over there and my grands were farmers, I think in the narrogin area... I still have family over there but have disconnected from most.. only met them twice , try 1948 and 1963....

I dunno whether my skills are up to the task of building a bandsaw... I found the FWW book with how-to in my local library.... veeeerrrry interesting... will see what the future holds...
thanx to all for all the encouraging words

derekcohen
26th September 2004, 12:58 PM
BTW, is Perth by the sea, perth as in WA?...

Yup, as in Sandgroper .... or should that be Woodgroper ...?

I dunno whether my skills are up to the task of building a bandsaw..

Tong, that is the very reason to build one!!!!

Regards from Perth WA (and, no doubt, easily a dozen others here)

Derek

Sturdee
26th September 2004, 04:30 PM
I certainly get much more satisfaction building something using tools I have made myself than with expensive tools I have bought.

So do I.

Seeing the need, working out how to build a tool or jig, building it and then using it is very satisfying. Much better then buying something ready made.

So I say go for it and build it you will always enjoy using it.

Peter.

echnidna
26th September 2004, 07:06 PM
Not only will you end up with a bandsaw and the satisfaction of making things on it you are not going to spend the lotsa loot that some on this forum do.

If you look at some of the fancy workbenches some have made they are also works of art. There is no reason why a home made bandsaw cannot be an art piece also.

Glen Bridger
4th October 2004, 09:21 PM
Hi Tong,

If you are looking at building a Bandsaw the biggest problem you'll find is purchasing the main wheels. I started building one a few years ago but never got around to finishing it.
I ended up with 12" diameter wheels which were manufactured by Stenco Pulleys and sold through CBC Bearings. (One day I'll go back to it).

To increase the capacity of the machine you could run a triple wheel set-up. A friend of mine has one built with three 10" diameter wheels and it has a capacity of about 600mm.

I believe if you have the time to build something better and/or cheaper, then go for it. Save your money for things you can't make yourself.

Glen.

tong
5th October 2004, 07:50 AM
I guess will have to file the bandsaw under "gunna".. BTW, what about blades,, would one not have to make to suit a standard size blade length?

I had better get on with finishing the kitchen reno.. already been a week without water, sink, benchtops and power ? Questions re commitment will follow soon if I don't get a wriggle on

forge
6th October 2004, 08:50 PM
I guess will have to file the bandsaw under "gunna".. BTW, what about blades,, would one not have to make to suit a standard size blade length?

I had better get on with finishing the kitchen reno.. already been a week without water, sink, benchtops and power ? Questions re commitment will follow soon if I don't get a wriggle on
Thong ,I have some plans/instructions on how to make round wheels for any purpose.
From plywood ,I plan to make 900mm replacement bandsaw wheels for an old
bandsaw.
Regards ,Bela.

Glen Bridger
7th October 2004, 09:04 PM
Hi Tong,

You can get blades made to any size or make them yourself. However, why not find a standard "stocked" size from someone (eg Carba-Tec, H&F, Timbecon) as it gives a wider selection of suppliers.

Glen.

barnsey
7th October 2004, 11:48 PM
Ok - by the time I responded everyone else had distorted the message I was trying to convey.

It's great to use those older techniques to effect a reproduction of earlier techniques but there has to be a balance between cost and effect. :confused:

And using that hand me down knowledge preserves it for your kids and others in the future. :D ;)

We could all go beserk here with the coloquial euphamisms but my dad & grandad taught me things that still come to the fore even with the tools and technology of today and I get amazed at the questions sometimes where it's obvious that others didn't have the treasure of those tips. That's not to say that they are the best option but experience is a wonderful attribute no matter how you get it. :D

How you get it is probably immaterial but the craft and science behind it is the thing. Modern production techniques are great, the theories are time tested generally and that is the essence of the craft. :)

Jamie

goodwoody
8th October 2004, 01:09 AM
I have some lovely machined wheels from an old diary sepparator. The are about 500mm in dia and have a nice flat face of about 50mm. I'm anticipating some good advice as one may come to the fray with my own bandsaw oneday. Opinions?

Alastair
8th October 2004, 11:54 AM
And using that hand me down knowledge preserves it for your kids and others in the future. :D ;)

We could all go beserk here with the coloquial euphamisms but my dad & grandad taught me things that still come to the fore even with the tools and technology of today and I get amazed at the questions sometimes where it's obvious that others didn't have the treasure of those tips. That's not to say that they are the best option but experience is a wonderful attribute no matter how you get it. :D
Jamie

Jamie (& Gatiep)

Further distorting this thread. There is an irony that I have observed in my life, which is perhaps common to others:-

My Dad and Grandad were both very good with their hands. G/D (a blacksmith) died when I was 7, so lost that. Dad did things, when needed, but no WW project stuff, and while I was fascinated with the workshop, and would have loved to be involved, he was usually more interested in getting the job done than instructing. He died when my son was 3.

I do a lot of project stuff, and turn, and would love to teach my son some of what I have learnt. He, (11 now) however, generally would rather be with his mates, or on the Gamecube etc. Once or twice a year he will join me on a weekend, but the interest is usually fleeting. I won't push it, as he must want it himself.

So, if you have the opportunity, make the most of it!!!

Thread hijack over,

Back to bandsaws. Please keep the info on this thread going, as I am eyeing the concept seriously. Finance means that many of my tools are home built, and this might become the next..........

Alastair

Wood Butcher
21st October 2004, 11:13 PM
Found an article in the January/February 1992 Australian Woodworker about a home made bandsaw. That article is very well written and the design could be easily modified to a larger size. I don't know if the magazine is available any more but i will try to help anyone that may be interested.

russgail
19th September 2005, 10:50 AM
Found an article in the January/February 1992 Australian Woodworker about a home made bandsaw. That article is very well written and the design could be easily modified to a larger size. I don't know if the magazine is available any more but i will try to help anyone that may be interested.
Hi Wood Butcher

Have you still got access to the 1992 article on homemade bandsaws?

Cheers Russell

Nick Moore
25th September 2005, 12:48 PM
Hi there

I collect old popular mecanics publications.
One of their favourites is called
"40 power tools you can make"

Old 1944 issue is one I have

Tells how to make a wooden bandsaw with pipe fittings for frame plus
Model t Ford stub axles for wheel bearings..

(Car stub axles excellent pre made source for h duty exact bearings.. )
usually junk value around the traps too.

Maybe of interest to you guys..

derekcohen
25th September 2005, 01:48 PM
Any idea if Bunnies sells Model t Ford stub axles? Perhaps Carba-tec?

Regards from Perth

Derek (on a Sunday morning) :D

bitingmidge
25th September 2005, 02:44 PM
Derek,

Nick's from Tas. They'd still carry parts at the local Ford dealer!

Cheers,

P (Sunday arv and pretty close to sleep time!)
:D :D :D

dazzler
25th September 2005, 04:05 PM
All power to you if you decide to build one.

But jigs are one thing, spinning snarling cutting hacking killing metal teeth are another :eek: and I wouldnt feel comfortable with it.

Good luck

dazzler

Grahame Collins
10th August 2006, 08:48 AM
For those making bandsaws the wheels tend to be a problem.I have made wheels from steel and turned them. Six mm plate , oxy cut to a suitable diameter with a 25 x 6 flat tacked on edge and a lip machined for the rubber tyre,does the job. How many of you are out there with this problem. I had thoughts along the lines of doing a run of them next year when I am semi retired. If there is sufficient interest ,I could do a costing on a set of 350mm wheels. Its the biggest I can get in the mates lathe.PM me if you have an interest.

Grahame

Schtoo
10th August 2006, 02:08 PM
When, and if I get around to it, I plan to make a slightly larger BS than I have, using similar principles to the current beastie.

It's mostly ally castings, with thickwall tubing as the frame. Well done, simple and plenty tough.

When it comes to the wheels, I will cast the wheels and use the BS itself to drive the wheels and fit a cross slide to the frame to true them up. Both top and bottom wheels are going to be interchangeable, as is the current one (On tapered axles), so truing up both wheels should be a snap.

Just a thought of course. :)

savage
10th August 2006, 11:02 PM
One of the previous posts mentioned using stub axels, buy new from Super Cheap Autos, I was in there the other day and complete hubs where $35.00 + the stub axel. Use a pair of modified car rims to suit the chosen stud pattern and build the frame/housing.

I'd say with a bit of thought one could make a very strong and reliable machine, might even have a go at one myself!....

sawdustmike
21st August 2006, 03:46 PM
Try googling it. There are a ton of sites, mostly US, covering this. Makes for interesting reading. A good one is using VW wheels!

Dennis Hill
22nd August 2006, 05:57 PM
This may sound a little silly but bandsaw wheels are about as close as your nearest car wrecking yard. All you need is a couple of wheels complete with bald tyres. To mount them go to somewhere like Supercheap Auto and buy a pair of trailer stub axles and trailer hubs to suit those wheels. Drive can be via a "V" belt onto the lower band wheel with the belt runing BEHIND the blade. Blade guides can be ordinary roller bearings bolted to a suitable adjustable bracket.
For more ideas do a Google for portable sawmills or bandmills. The theory is the same, only the size could be a little smaller. Most portable mills in the USA seem to use 16" light truck wheels and tyres because they are available and cheap.
Good luck.

dazzler
22nd August 2006, 06:49 PM
Well ive changed my mind... i reckon this is a great idea.

Last night i built myself a new router using the electric motor from an old fridge I welded a chuck onto the shaft and a cut some handles from a broom which i superglued on the side. i then got a dimming switch from the loungeroom and wired this in and glued it on the side so i have a variable speed router. Its great:D

I have almost finished my new thicknesser. I was lucky and found a couple of those old push mowers with the rotory knives on them. I have fixed one to the base of an old singer sewing machine stand and then welded a couple of uprights to hold the other. A couple of clamps hold it the right height to get the thickness I want. An old bike chain joins them up.

The best part is that I had a second drive chain off another bike and using the stermy archer gears I can drive it with the home built router and have seven speeds. :eek:

My next machine will be a dust extractor using the fan off an old combine harvester. Cant wait:) .

echnidna
22nd August 2006, 06:57 PM
Well ive changed my mind... i reckon this is a great idea.

Last night i built myself a new router using the electric motor from an old fridge I welded a chuck onto the shaft and a cut some handles from a broom which i superglued on the side. i then got a dimming switch from the loungeroom and wired this in and glued it on the side so i have a variable speed router. Its great:D

I have almost finished my new thicknesser. I was lucky and found a couple of those old push mowers with the rotory knives on them. I have fixed one to the base of an old singer sewing machine stand and then welded a couple of uprights to hold the other. A couple of clamps hold it the right height to get the thickness I want. An old bike chain joins them up.

The best part is that I had a second drive chain off another bike and using the stermy archer gears I can drive it with the home built router and have seven speeds. :eek:

My next machine will be a dust extractor using the fan off an old combine harvester. Cant wait:) .

With the bits of bikes you have left over you could put pedals on the dusty and save the cost of electricity. :D :D

Dennis Hill
22nd August 2006, 07:01 PM
Hey smartarse, I like the dust extractor idea!
As for the rest of the post, f**k off!

Andy Mac
22nd August 2006, 07:54 PM
Evening,
Just want to add a bit of encouragement to the idea, having considered it but spoiled with a bought one. maybe a metal cutting bandsaw...?
A bandsaw is a big project and there are some functional issues that involve serious H&S. Whatever you do, fit guards to it!
It may well be a complete cracker when its done. Certainly can't be any worse than some of the garbage you pay money for.
Go for it, and I look forward to seeing anyone's WIP of making a bandsaw.

Cheers:)

dazzler
22nd August 2006, 07:59 PM
Hey smartarse, I like the dust extractor idea!
As for the rest of the post, f**k off!

Wow, a poet:rolleyes:

Bushmiller
22nd August 2006, 08:05 PM
There appears to be two approaches to the wheels. The first and probably most common is for the band wheel circumference to be convex. This has a self centering effect but requires a soft covering around the wheel for the blade to sit. A strip of rubber (bicycle inner tube etc) normally suffices. This is to prevent the set on the blade on one side being removed.

The second approach uses a flat wheel but requires the blade to sit half off the wheel in the directon of travel. The teeth themselves must not contact the wheel at any tmes or the set will be lost on one side wth disasterous consequences. It clearly only lends itself to larger width blades (3/4" upwards).

The blade "sits" on the wheels by adjusting one wheel out of alignment. Then the blade "rides" on the edge of the wheel.

Regards
Paul

sawdustmike
22nd August 2006, 08:27 PM
As I posted before, GOOGLE. The site where I saw the VW wheels was pretty good. Lets face it, 2 wheels connected to a motor, how hard can it be? Look at all the rubbish that sells for $600 and I rest my case - I can speak from experience here as I am still trying to get the POS to cut like the display model 6 months later:mad: :mad: :mad: !!! The benefit from making your own is 24" wheels and a solid steady table. Pulleys are cheap, blades are made to order and guards are common sense. And..... if you buy a junked wheel get one that has been driven around under inflated so that when you pump it up it will be domed - see, I told you it is easy, but make the bottom wheel flat.

Chris Parks
23rd August 2006, 08:00 PM
I would make the frame out of a really heavy RSJ or column material. It would be really stiff with BA flex. I am going to make a top wheel for mine out of plate with a flat strap around the outside like Graham suggests. I read an article on the net that said the necessity to run the blade half off the wheel or to have it crowned is not necessary these days as the blades are made from far harder material and thus do not lose their set. Henry Bros would advise on this. I will try and find the link and post it,

forge
28th August 2006, 06:25 AM
A few years ago there was a project by- intermediate technology publications
on how to make wheels for agricultural machinery .I mainly mention this as i have an old /big -26''+ cast iron frame bandsaw that uses the top wheel of an agricultural machine and the bottom wheel is made from plywood.It is heavy duty machine .It was last used by an engineering business to cut 2" brass.It has countershafts ,and being driven of the bottom plywood wheel by a pully.Have been told by the elderly gent -his father made/ aquired the replacement wheels-that they cut matal and wood with it .
I suggest make your bandsaw wheels of plywood, i seen some articles in ww magazines in the past on how to crown the wheels,how to cut large circular wheels of plywood with a home built jig ,perhaps others have as well,please chime up!
Then use truck or bike inner tube on the perimeter of your wheel.Im considering replacing my wheels ,so i'm interested in seing how you end up doing it (the wheel) :-)
Regards ,

himzol
29th August 2006, 07:34 PM
Hi Guys,

I've been wtaching this thread with some interest and thought I may be able to contribute.
some links which may be helpfull.

http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/band/index.html
http://www.pennswoods.net/~zigbug/
http://bedair.org/Bandsaw.html

some more stuff which you may find usefull.

Himzo.

forge
29th August 2006, 11:49 PM
Here is a link to making big circles(wheels) from plywood .Laminate 2 or 3 together to make it 36mm+ thick
http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip102000sn.html
Have seen this done with jigsaw ,or with a jig on a table saw.Then sand perimeter of the wheels for the crown.
Great links, Himzo

tashammer
31st August 2006, 01:52 PM
Try googling for Dave Gingery - now there was a man and, i think it was his son or brother, Vincent, they could build damn near anything - even cast the iron and aluminium parts they needed. Lathes, shapers, milling machines, drill presses, furnaces, complete metal workshop. Then they got into plastics as well and they published a little book on how to build a simple injection moulder.

So look up Dave Gingery , Vincent Gingery, DIY, How to on Google. Also you could check out Peer2Peer and see what books are available.

There is more than 1 web sites that sell Gingery Books (Dave is now deceased). Be careful you actually end up on a true site rather than one of those that has been poached/harvested by the theives that just wait until a re-registration may have been overlooked and they leap in and buy it cheap then offer to sell it for mega dollars.

http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/index.html

Ermm, he doesn't make a bandsaw though, not a wood one.

linuxman
30th December 2006, 11:56 PM
I have built a version of an old Pop Mechanics bandsaw. It utilizes black pipe construction, but I modernized the guides and had to make my own trunnions.
I know this is an older post but if interested, I can email the plans and some photos. It works real well, but took some work. It is the satisfaction of building it not the value of it though. as the cost may have exceeded a cheaper knockoff of a Delta etc..........

Doug

[email protected]

hazard
1st January 2007, 10:26 AM
bandsaw wheels? how about the shaft, bearings and belt drive wheels from front loading washing machines? Cast alloy wheels should be easy to reprofile to take a rubber tyre. Wheels should be about the right sort of size, 450 -500mm diameter. Just a thought. I could possibly supply if anyone has a need. Hazard

chanasaurus
6th January 2007, 09:30 PM
Have you thought of building a walking beam saw? There is a great section on building one in "fine woodworking on making and modifying machines" haven't tried to myself but it sure looks cool

rapsod
7th January 2007, 07:22 AM
There is few band saw projects at :http://www.vintageprojects.com/machine-power-tools.html

SilentButDeadly
15th January 2007, 03:55 PM
I have a home made band saw sitting in my shed at the moment. It was built by my brother in law when he was at school as part of an engineering project.

Frame is made from C section steel. Wheels and pulleys are off the shelf cast aluminium. Bearings and shafts spindles are also off the shelf. Motor looks big enough to run a 12 stand shearing shed. Top wheel settings is adjustable via a clever plate and bolt arrangement for blade tracking purposes.

It worked for years (mostly to chop firewood!!!) but finished up repeatedly snapping blades due to either blades getting fragile or due to frame warp. So both needs checking before getting it back into service. It is now on the List of Things to Do.

greg2536
21st January 2007, 10:39 AM
I have a home made band saw sitting in my shed at the moment. It was built by my brother in law when he was at school as part of an engineering project.

Frame is made from C section steel. Wheels and pulleys are off the shelf cast aluminium. Bearings and shafts spindles are also off the shelf. Motor looks big enough to run a 12 stand shearing shed. Top wheel settings is adjustable via a clever plate and bolt arrangement for blade tracking purposes.

It worked for years (mostly to chop firewood!!!) but finished up repeatedly snapping blades due to either blades getting fragile or due to frame warp. So both needs checking before getting it back into service. It is now on the List of Things to Do.

Any chance of some pics?
Greg

SilentButDeadly
22nd January 2007, 03:17 PM
........I suppose I could add it to the List of Things to do!