PDA

View Full Version : older type woodfast

hughie
28th May 2010, 09:48 PM
An older type with what looks like a reeves variable drive with spare drive belt. At $100 it would be a good starter lathe.
Three phase might have to change the motor to 240 or buy a vsd. If I had the space I would look at it myself.

Woodfast lathe - 3-phase - eBay, Lathes, Hardware, Industrial. (end time 01-Jun-10 09:05:16 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300429973713&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

nz_carver
28th May 2010, 10:58 PM
is it hard to change the motor over?
and is it a costly job???

I have the room:D

hughie
28th May 2010, 11:59 PM
Would need to see it,or one similar to give a accurate estimate.. If you kept the three phase and I am assuming its 1hp or so. Then a VSD would set you back around 300 adding 100 to purchase a total of 400 which I think is a very good price for lathe of this quality.This is the price of a MC1100 or 900 Chinese generic.

You could use the VSD for speed changes and the Reeves drive as a set speed to maintain your torque.

I have a Woodfast 400 I am currently doing this too and this will bring it up 1hp and I 'm doing a few other mods as well. Nothing too serious but a few things that will greatly improve its performance.

NeilS
29th May 2010, 03:27 PM
At $100, definitely worth inspecting Monday before putting in a bid. Does have the lighter banjo without a camlock, but would be better with Woodfast's camlock banjo or similar.

Carry out the recommended inspections list checks covered in previous threads.