PDA

View Full Version : Dead Texas Eucalyptus

Allen Neighbors
30th May 2010, 03:22 AM
I don't know the particular species of Euc... but this one is relatively soft... had a heck of a time getting some tearout from the inside.
This HF came from a gnarly looking chunk, left with the natural edge. It's 200mm dia x 125mm high x 9mm thick. Finished with lacquer, buffed, then wool wax.
Chatoyance all over this piece. Sorry for the pics in the bright sun... no time for setting up the tent.

Scribbly Gum
30th May 2010, 09:11 AM
Beautiful bowl Allen.
Your lovely design makes the best of the timber as well.
Do the eucalypts grow bigger in Texas?
Heh heh!
SG

hughie
30th May 2010, 10:54 AM
Al, Nice one, I like it. :2tsup:

Lucky it was soft, some of this stuff can be darn near bullet proof. :C Sorta like hanging on to the rope in a steer bucking contest

NeilS
30th May 2010, 12:33 PM
Good one Allen.

PS - If that Eucalypt is not indigenous then it's a weed in your part of the world. In which case the only good one is a 'Dead Texas Eucalyptus'. Go get as many as you can Allen.

Allen Neighbors
30th May 2010, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the compliments, appreciated.
SG, I don't know how big they grow in other places... :) But this one was about 600 mm diameter...

It surely has a nice eucalyptus oil smell when you turn it... not too strong, but pleasant...
I've got a few more pieces of it, just haven't had the time to turn it yet.

Pat
30th May 2010, 01:32 PM
AL, I'd rough turn them now . . . when they dry out, it is a blood sport:U

I'm having a break from turning Eucy's, I've been playing with Mango, Jacaranda and Poplar as I find them requiring more finesse then E.Concretous.

Good form. The tear out maybe helped with a very soft touch of a scraper, 1/2 round (curved) @ 8mm, very sharp with a burnished scraper.

artme
30th May 2010, 04:29 PM
Cracker of a bowl Allen!! Great turning on your part!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Beautiful bowl Allen.
Your lovely design makes the best of the timber as well.
Do the eucalypts grow bigger in Texas?
Heh heh!
SG

Of course they do> The place is full of buls**t!!:D:D:D:p

orraloon
30th May 2010, 05:50 PM
A very nice bowl Al. As to what kind of eucalypt it is hard to say. As it is soft perhaps one of the ones we call mountain ash or tassie oak. The colour is about right but there are so many it is never easy to be sure.
Regards
John

rsser
30th May 2010, 06:14 PM
Blue Gum is one of our biggest Eu. exports.