PDA

View Full Version : First but not my first

wood hacker
30th May 2010, 09:49 PM
OK so it's not my first bowl. I've done three or four and posted a couple here. Those ones were done using a combination of shallow spindle gouges and a bodgied up 3/4 inch deep roughing gouge reground to a pseudo fingernail shape. They did the job but geez it was hard going.

So I decided to invest in a proper bowl gouge and went hunting around all the suppliers at the show last weekend. I finally settled on a 10mm Robert Sorby from Carrols and brought it home with a number of blanks to test it on.

Having done it the hard way it was such a treat to be able to watch the shavings fly with little or no effort. Not having to work so hard just to cut the timber I found it much easier to concentrate on form and finish. Having said that the final shape wasn't quite what I set out to do but I'm not entirely displeased with the result.

The timber is camphor laurel, finished size is approx 140mm x 60mm, sanded to 600, then hit with EEE and finished with Shellawax Glow. I've not used the U-Beaut products before but after watching Neil demonstrate at the show I was impressed enough to part with my hard earned and I'm glad I did.

mkypenturner
30th May 2010, 11:08 PM
nice shape and a nice piece of camphor

tea lady
30th May 2010, 11:17 PM
Well done. Nice form, nice finish nice bit of wood. :2tsup:The right tools do make a differenced don't they.:cool:

artme
31st May 2010, 07:49 AM
As the others said, "noice" all round.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Texian
31st May 2010, 03:37 PM
Happy new bowl gouge!

bowl-basher
1st June 2010, 08:25 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Bewdy Mate
can't wait till the sydney show got a list a mile long but rather shallow pockets
Bowl-Basher

wood hacker
2nd June 2010, 04:48 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Bewdy Mate
can't wait till the sydney show got a list a mile long but rather shallow pockets
Bowl-Basher

I know what you mean BB. Due to going a little berserk at the show I'm keeping an eye on the post to snaffle the credit card statement before SWMBO gets a look at it. :no:

Christos
3rd June 2010, 03:27 PM
I think the bowl is very nice. No reason why SWMBO would be upset with that.