PDA

View Full Version : Cherry lidded form

Mark sanger
2nd June 2010, 07:58 PM
HI all

I have been a member of this forum for some time however have not posted anything due to, well forgetting I was a member, :-:-,

Anyway this is a lidded form made of cherry. Pith slightly offset so that the heart wood breaks through the sap wood.

The lid is black wood with the finial being made of polymer clay. The finial is sat in a jewellery bead.

150mm dia x 22mm high finished in microcrystaline wax.

Comments welcome.

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss166/fullcircle1/aaaedsmall.jpg

dai sensei
2nd June 2010, 09:56 PM
Beautiful :2tsup: I especially like the finial :cool:

wheelinround
2nd June 2010, 10:10 PM
:doh: Mark just spotted this in your home forum its an amazing piece that finial is excellent even tho its not turned I take it.:2tsup:

orificiam
2nd June 2010, 10:21 PM
Congratulation Mark a Beautiful form and finish.:oo:
Cheers Tony.:)

Mark sanger
2nd June 2010, 10:22 PM
Hi all

Thank you for your comments, they are much appreciated.

Thought I would start posting some pictures in this forum as it is warmer down here, all rain up where we are, :).

Thank you all again.

Take care

Mark

TTIT
2nd June 2010, 10:31 PM
I choose to with-hold all comment until I'm promised a 2-page spread in you know what! :;:U

mkypenturner
2nd June 2010, 10:36 PM
superb job mark :2tsup::2tsup: love the finial

tea lady
3rd June 2010, 12:21 AM
:oo::cool: Isn't that fun. :U Love it. The finial is really cool, as others have already said. :U

Claw Hama
3rd June 2010, 12:26 AM
Very very nice Mark, I haven't been over on your forum for a while, I have been very busy with work and so have been sticking to my home forum. Great to see your work here though.:2tsup:

artme
3rd June 2010, 08:40 AM
Super piece Mark!! Congratulations!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ed Reiss
3rd June 2010, 12:08 PM
What all the others said +1 :2tsup:

Texian
3rd June 2010, 12:46 PM
the finial being made of polymer clay.

Now there's a clever idea. Saw your piece on another forum but missed this part. Very cool Mark.

NeilS
3rd June 2010, 03:45 PM
....:2tsup:

Mark sanger
4th June 2010, 05:01 AM
Hi all

Thank you very much for all of your comments and for the welcome to the forum. I must go into the introduction part and say G'Day.

Polymer clay is a new media ( to me),it is not new at all in jewellery and other crafts etc. Some turners also use it already in pen making.

It is fun to use and opens up a lot of possibilities. Mostly only restricted with what you can come up with.

To be honest I just like playing with new stuff or I get bored, so I play on a few pieces and produce my bread and butter items in the hope to make some money.

Thank you all again

Allen Neighbors
5th June 2010, 01:42 PM
Welcome to you, and your beautiful work, Mark!! That finial blows me away!! Gorgeous!!
Do you have to bake that Polymer Clay, after you make your finial?

Mark sanger
2nd November 2010, 09:17 PM
Welcome to you, and your beautiful work, Mark!! That finial blows me away!! Gorgeous!!
Do you have to bake that Polymer Clay, after you make your finial?

Hi Allen

My sincere apologies for not replying before now. I have not been into the forum for a long time and did not get any messages to say you had replied.

yes the polymer clay is baked on a low heat 120deg for 30 mins. During which time it cures and then becomes stiff. However it still retains some flexibility with memory so if you drop them they do not break .

Take care

Mark

Nai84
2nd November 2010, 10:49 PM
Hey Mark

Very nice piece I love it fantastic job :clap3:

Ian

Mark sanger
3rd November 2010, 12:59 AM
Ian

Thank you for your comments.

Much appreciated.