PDA

View Full Version : A Course in Wood Turning by Archie S. Milton

groverwa
7th June 2010, 10:55 PM
For a look at woodturning of days gone by have a look at The Project Gutenberg eBook of A Course In Wood Turning, by Archie S. Milton. (http://www.gutenberg.org/files/15460/15460-h/15460-h.htm)

Note the overhead belt drives:o

By the way the Gutenberg library is a treasure trove of free downloadable books that are out of copyright. I have looked at many of the Australian explorers books/ diaries and they are very interesting in describing early Australia:2tsup:

Mike

RETIRED
8th June 2010, 08:30 AM
It is an interesting read.

Strangely enough most of the basic principles remain the same.

Alastair
8th June 2010, 12:12 PM
Interesting:)

My old monster of a lathe, (now stored and replaced with a Nova 3000) started life as one of those!

I inherited it from my grandfather, some 40 years ago. He had obviously reconditioned it using bits and pieces of plumbing fittings, lots of steel bar, and an enormous 220V electric motor "liberated" from somewhere. After my first (disastrous) attempt at age 17, it stood idle until 1995, when I was inspired to try again. The bug bit, and with several further upgrades on my part, it served me until 2003, when a flush of funds allowed me into the 21st century.

It is still in the corner of the garage, however............:rolleyes:

regards

Sawdust Maker
8th June 2010, 10:23 PM
groverwa

thanks for the link - something to read at work tomorrow :D :no:

Alastair

I'd like to look at your relic someday - sounds interesting :U

Wongdai
8th June 2010, 11:24 PM
Nice one. I'll read it on my iPhone before bed!

Alastair
9th June 2010, 10:47 AM
groverwa

thanks for the link - something to read at work tomorrow :D :no:

Alastair

I'd like to look at your relic someday - sounds interesting :U

Welcome to drop by anytime!

The old bloke was a blacksmith by trade, and I also have his turning tools I started off with, forged from drill steel scored off the mine he worked at. Still use some of them:)

Regards