PDA

View Full Version : Eucalyptus

peterpiper
8th June 2010, 06:43 AM
Just ordered my first piece of Eucalyptus burr (burl), going to try turning a bowl,
any hints and tips about this type of wood?, besides light cuts and sharp tools!
understand there's more than one species, but no idea which species it is
T.I.A.
pete

rsser
8th June 2010, 10:02 AM
G'day Pete.

Yes, Eu burl can vary a lot. Some is closed grain with no voids, other full of voids and sap pockets. Often the grain is heavily interlocked. I don't do anything specially different with them; just watch out for big cracks.

At a guess you'll be getting Jarrah burl but why not ask the supplier?

hughie
8th June 2010, 01:56 PM
Peter, Or better post a pic of it as well. As Ern has said Eu burl varies a lot,one thing fairly standard dried Eu burl will be tough to turn. But it does come up well and is worth all the effort. With a bit of luck you have some red mallee like the pic, no its not one of mine:U

rsser
8th June 2010, 02:48 PM
Yeah, there's a deal of RM burl shipped overseas; brown mallee and York burl also. Even some Tassie Myrtle burl (which is sweeeet!). The Yank market has the buying power and importers over there bring in container loads. Bustards.

peterpiper
9th June 2010, 05:23 AM
Thanks for the replies mates, the blank arrived this A.M. fully covered in thick wax, so a photo won't be any use, rang seller but he's no idea which type it is, will post a photo when I start to turn it, it's in the garage now, acclimatising for a few weeks.
Thanks again,
pete

rsser
9th June 2010, 09:03 AM
If it's fully waxed it's prob green so you can start in on a rough-out as soon as you're ready.

hughie
9th June 2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the replies mates, the blank arrived this A.M. fully covered in thick wax, so a photo won't be any use, rang seller but he's no idea which type it is, will post a photo when I start to turn it, it's in the garage now, acclimatising for a few weeks.

Peter, If your supplier can tell where it came from on OZ etc as some export dry but most export green.If you look on the blank it might have a a few numbers and letters this will be weight and id code of the blank etc from this we can id it.

look forward to seeing the finished item :2tsup:

peterpiper
10th June 2010, 05:18 AM
Hughie, no info from seller and only marks on blank is 8x8x3, which is the size in inches and the price,
I too am looking forward to seeing the finished item, but don't hold your breath, with my current work schedule it'll be at least a month (if I hurry up)
regards
pete

Texian
10th June 2010, 11:35 AM
Pete, Good luck with your burl.

Ern, Not all of us have that Yank buying power, but I guess many do.

Hughie, Whose work is that? That thing is gorgeous!

rsser
10th June 2010, 11:48 AM
True. I see burls that might sell here at around $7 per kilo go for 3x that amount in USD over your way.

Some suppliers here are shipping container loads to N. America; and one Tasmanian harvester reckons there won't be any Myrtle Burl left in a year or two.