PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc VM120 chuck insert

Big Shed
10th June 2010, 10:41 AM
Having now received the VM120 chuck I bought on Ebay last week I have some questions about both it and the required insert.

The chuck is brand new in the box, but appears to be an older model, I believe the new model has indexing on the rear. That doesn't worry me as my lathe has indexing.

It came with a 3/4"x10TPI inesrt, which amazed me, wouldn't want to swing that lump of metal with a chunk of wood attached from a 3/4" spindle:oo:

Anyway, I put up a Wanted To Buy post for a 30x3.5 insert just in case someone had one spare. Another forumite contacted me to say he had one and we agreed on a price.

When he came to take it out for posting he noticed that this insert was different from the ones in his VM120 chucks, still has the 30x3.5 internal thread that goes on the spindle, but the external thread, the part that goes in the chuck, is different.

He describes it so:

What appears smaller is the thread that goes up into the chuck, to connect the insert to the chuck. On my VM120s their insert threads are about 30mm long and as coarse a thread as the lathe headstock ie 30 x 3.5. This spare insert I have has a thread that appears slightly finer, and only about 10mm long. I can only assume it's for a VM100 (but I thought it was for a VM120).

The insert I have here has an external thread diameter (the part that goes in the chuck) of 45mm and a thread pitch of 2mm, overall length of the part that goes in to the chuck, ie from shoulder that seats on the outside of the chuck to the end is 26mm, actual thread length is about 18mm.

So, my question to any of you VM120 owners out there is, could you tell me what size/pitch your insert is, and is it the same as the described in the blue quoted tecxt or the same as mine?

Confused:?

Jim Carroll
10th June 2010, 01:11 PM
Fred the Vicmarc VM90/100 use a 40mm thread and the VM120/140 use a 45mm thread

Big Shed
10th June 2010, 01:40 PM
Fred the Vicmarc VM90/100 use a 40mm thread and the VM120/140 use a 45mm thread

Thanks Jim, have sent you an email with a couple of questions.

TimberNut
12th June 2010, 04:29 PM
Here are some pictures of inserts removed from a VM100 and a VM120, for comparison. Both are M30 x 3.5.

Big Shed
12th June 2010, 05:27 PM
Thanks mate, quite a difference in size!:oo:

My VM120 insert should be here Tuesday, together with another goodie:2tsup:

Big Shed
15th June 2010, 07:54 PM
Insert duly arrived from Vermec today, great quality, not sure whether they are made by Vermec or Vicmarc, either way very good machining.

Fitted like a glove and the VM120 now sits on the lathe like it belongs there:2tsup:

The other goodie I ordered also arrived and is described HERE (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f69/er25-chuck-body-119315/)

DJ’s Timber
15th June 2010, 08:24 PM
Inot sure whether they are made by Vermec or Vicmarc, either way very good machining.

Insert is most likely made by Vermec, Vicmarc Inserts usually have an lip machine onto the back off the insert so that a locking ring can be fitted when used on a Vicmarc lathe. The Inserts shown by Timbernut are Vicmarc Inserts.

Sawdust Maker
15th June 2010, 08:33 PM
Happy new chuck :2tsup:
I've found that Vermec do some very nice engineering

Big Shed
15th June 2010, 08:55 PM
Insert is most likely made by Vermec, Vicmarc Inserts usually have an lip machine onto the back off the insert so that a locking ring can be fitted when used on a Vicmarc lathe. The Inserts shown by Timbernut are Vicmarc Inserts.

Thanks DJ, noticed the inserts that Timbernut showed were different.

The one I got from Vermec is a serious lump of metal, heaps bigger than the puny little M30x3.5 insert (Teknatool) I bought for my Teknatool G3 chuck.

Happy new chuck :2tsup:
I've found that Vermec do some very nice engineering

..........and Enzo gave really good service as well:2tsup:

orificiam
16th June 2010, 12:10 AM
Hi Fred congrats, on your new Toys. Can i ask where did you buy the Sorby live center from. Thank in advance.
Cheers Tony.:)

Big Shed
16th June 2010, 10:02 AM
Hi Fred congrats, on your new Toys. Can i ask where did you buy the Sorby live center from. Thank in advance.
Cheers Tony.:)

Hi Tony, got mine from The Woodsmith (http://www.thewoodsmith.com.au/thewoodsmith/rstools01.htm) in Croydon. They had them in stock and were well priced.

I intend to turn up a mandrel saving insert for it as well.

orificiam
16th June 2010, 02:11 PM
Thank you very much Fred, I'll check them out soon,:2tsup:
Cheers Tony. :)