PDA

View Full Version : New shed rules

jefferson
11th June 2010, 12:57 PM
Alright, it was next to all my fault as I didn't explain the rules BUT:

- from now on, there will be no power sanding in my shed. At least over the winter, doors closed, fire blazing. Simply too much fine dust. Two MC 1200 microclene filters, plus the small Jet and we still have dust all over the place.

I probably should break the rules down further:

- DEFINITELY no power sanding with an angle grinder (thanks, , for educating the locals on that one ...... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:)

Anyone with tear-out problems (little finesse) or in a rush (AKA Production Turning), please either look elsewhere or otherwise obey the rules. This shed is now closed for business to those with a heavy hand / no time to waste and an eye for power sanding.:D:D:D

I forgot to remind visitors of Rule no. 2: when sanding, use the extractor.

Rule no. 3: when turning / scraping dusty redgum (and in particular, burls) use the extractor.

Rule no 4: don't blow all the mess / dust around with the air compressor and pretend that all is clean. All you've done is move the crap away from the lathe!!!

Rule 5: sharpen the damn chisels and there will be less dust!!!! :doh::doh::doh:

More rules to follow.

RETIRED
11th June 2010, 01:24 PM
It is now a bar Jeff?:wink:

Waldo
11th June 2010, 01:59 PM
Can't be a shed without rules about the consumption of vitamins.

:no:

tea lady
11th June 2010, 02:15 PM
:doh: Ya can't make an omelet without breaking eggs Jeff.:rolleyes: If you do';t want something to grt dusty put it in the house. Or cover it with a dust cloth.:cool: Or stop using red gum? :think:

jefferson
11th June 2010, 02:19 PM
Yep, that's you and you and you..... :D:D:D

Rule no 6 or 7:

Empty the dust extractor bag before it's too late!!!! :((:(( A dirty business indeed.

And yes, my master, the bar is now open.

Bugger it. Two pieces ready for spraying for the Comp. But at around 8 degrees, I won't risk it today.

Jim Carroll
11th June 2010, 02:31 PM
Jeff you forgot the 5 O'Clock rule.

Bar open and no more machinery use.:2tsup:

Waldo
11th June 2010, 02:54 PM
On weekends, the :beer: rule starts at 4:00 :yes:

Calm
11th June 2010, 02:55 PM
YOU ARE A

SOOKY SOOKY

LA
LA

get over it.:D:D:D:D

Home agin

jefferson
11th June 2010, 03:11 PM
Ah, the Serenity is finally home. :wink::wink::wink: At long last, this time posting under his own call sign....... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just remember folks, he has a 750 Stubby and doesn't use it at all. :doh::doh:

That's Calm banging his head, not me. Check Ebay in the near future.

Now, serious business, Shed Rule no 8: No beers before 5 pm, just for Jim C...... Nah, forget that one.

rod1949
11th June 2010, 03:20 PM
If you worked harder then the blazing fire wouldn't be needed:D

rsser
11th June 2010, 05:02 PM
Kiewa can freeze your n*ts off Rod. It's towards the end of a long valley and all the cold air drops and pools around Chez Jeff each evening.

I keep warning him about his Tormek wheel cracking if it stays wet overnight.

Waldo
11th June 2010, 05:20 PM
Who'd live where it's cold hey? :rolleyes:

artme
11th June 2010, 06:12 PM
If you worked harder then the blazing fire wouldn't be needed:D
Agreed! when I was akid and complained about cutting firewood the old man would say" He who cuts his own wood warms himself twice" true wisdom!!:q:q

rsser
11th June 2010, 06:15 PM
I heard 4x; cut, carry, split and burn.

You had it easy Arthur!

KenW
11th June 2010, 06:37 PM
Bloody office workers, no idea how to work in a shed.
All that matters is the job, forget the home comforts, just get on with it.

Pat
11th June 2010, 06:47 PM
Jeff, I agree with Ken, you should be totally focused on the job at hand, working hard and ignoring the cool weather.:q

rsser
11th June 2010, 07:08 PM
I'm sure Jeff gets lost in the work as we all do.

Then goes in to bed and gets a rocket from Ann about his frozen, er, appendages.

Not good for marital harmony.

mick61
11th June 2010, 08:05 PM
G`day I agree with Ken the show must go on regardless of the existing conditions.
Mick:D

tea lady
11th June 2010, 09:12 PM
Here's an idea Jefferson. Making acrylic pens won't make any dust.:p I'm sure Jim C will furnish you with supplies.:D Of course you won't need any of those Big useless dust making lathes will you. I'll take 'em off your hands if you want.:2tsup:

Calm
11th June 2010, 10:11 PM
Here's an idea Jefferson. Making acrylic pens won't make any dust.:p I'm sure Jim C will furnish you with supplies.:D Of course you won't need any of those Big useless dust making lathes will you. I'll take 'em off your hands if you want.:2tsup:

Ha Jeff make pens - that is spindle turning isn't it - he only makes little boxes & finials etc. - no idea of a skew - except for making a recess for the chuck.:p:p:D:D

Ed Reiss
12th June 2010, 12:14 PM
Jeff, don't know what your mates there have been telling you, but a proper shop, whoops...shed, needs to be knee deep in shavings and dust:bgth: ...it's just no fun keepin' everything spic and span :no:

rsser
12th June 2010, 02:17 PM
True, but Jeff's on the ball regarding keeping dust out of the air.

Turn's the snot brown and it's hard to get the hankies clean.

cultana
13th June 2010, 02:49 AM
Turn's the snot brown and it's hard to get the hankies clean.
:rotfl:
Go work in an underground coal mine for a few days and you wont bother about the colour of the snot too much or the colour of the hankies, it will be all black.

RETIRED
16th June 2010, 04:20 PM
Jeff, don't know what your mates there have been telling you, but a proper shop, whoops...shed, needs to be knee deep in shavings and dust:bgth: ...it's just no fun keepin' everything spic and span :no:Like this Ed?

Jeff take note that this is what a real shed looks like after a day.

wheelinround
16th June 2010, 04:34 PM
Like this Ed?

Now where did I drop that hex key:rolleyes:

No OH&S there:roll:

The Bleeder
16th June 2010, 05:24 PM
No OH&S there:roll:

Yes he is......under that pile over there.....

RETIRED
16th June 2010, 06:18 PM
Now where did I drop that hex key:rolleyes:

No OH&S there:roll:In 36 years in business both as a mechanical repair workshop and woodworking shop we have NEVER had an LTI .

I wonder how many others can say that.

DJ’s Timber
16th June 2010, 06:25 PM
Like this Ed?

Can confirm that it was knee deep or higher, saw it myself, even contributed to it :; :U

rsser
16th June 2010, 06:30 PM
Crikey, you'd need a compass to find the loo.

Footrot would involve borers.

LTI?? Lost tool incident?

RETIRED
16th June 2010, 06:33 PM
LTI. Lost time injury but the other occurs frequently particularly pencils.:wink:

tea lady
16th June 2010, 06:36 PM
LTI?? Lost tool incident?:rofl:

jefferson
16th June 2010, 06:36 PM
LTI = Life Threatening Incident I guess.

Now , as someone once remarked of you and your toy lathe:

DO YOU REALLY DO THIS FOR A LIVING????? :doh::doh::doh:

BTW, shavings are one thing, dust is another matter altogether. I note you didn't post a pic of that big exhaust fan too. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

One last thing: old Aust. expression. Come in spinner.

Pat
16th June 2010, 06:59 PM
One last thing: old Aust. expression. Come in spinner.

Jeff, I think you'll pay for that, next time the Axe Man cometh:U

I cannot claim for my shed to end up as covered as 's, but I am going to have to get around to building the drawers to keep the shavings and dust of the majority of my toys.

jefferson
16th June 2010, 07:06 PM
Jeff, I think you'll pay for that, next time the Axe Man cometh:U

Pat, I'm holding one tiny ace up my sleeve at the moment:

- 's tutoring work is on display at the Exhibition this year. If I fail, so does he!!! :D:D:D

(A wise Vic Wood once said that if the student is failing, so is the teacher. I run this one out quite a bit when my chisels are misbehaving.... :wink::wink::wink:).

rsser
16th June 2010, 07:27 PM
I can appreciate where Vic was coming from with that observation, but let me say as a lifelong teacher it over-generalises.

Some students never get it. Some get it on the spot. And some get it some time down the track.

tea lady
16th June 2010, 07:32 PM
Pat, I'm holding one tiny ace up my sleeve at the moment:

- 's tutoring work is on display at the Exhibition this year. If I fail, so does he!!! :D:D:D

(A wise Vic Wood once said that if the student is failing, so is the teacher. I run this one out quite a bit when my chisels are misbehaving.... :wink::wink::wink:). has only had one ear. Ken had the other. :D (:think: so do you want to fail or not?:D )

jefferson
16th June 2010, 07:45 PM
I can appreciate where Vic was coming from with that observation, but let me say as a lifelong teacher it over-generalises.

Some students never get it. Some get it on the spot. And some get it some time down the track.

Yes, Ern, I am sure there have been times when was at a loss when my turning was woeful. Perhaps he is less worried these days???? I hope so.

has only had one ear. Ken had the other. :D (:think: so do you want to fail or not?:D )

Yes, Tea Lady, the last 12 months have been difficult. The pair are a contrast in styles if nothing else. But one thing is for sure, they both have the same ear for bad turning techniques, mistakes and uphill cutting..... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Interestingly, I think I have taken a little bit from both mentors and have made a composite brew.

As for failure, that is not an option. I get my benchmark scores at the Exhibition this year and must better them in 2011. I need 170 points. If not this year, maybe next. Or the year after.

Calm
16th June 2010, 08:11 PM
LTI. Lost time injury but the other occurs frequently particularly pencils.:wink:

Yeah but Carl would also say that - he never stops - lost time.:D:D:p:p

cheers

Kev Y.
16th June 2010, 11:26 PM
Has everyone forgoten that a tidy shed/workshop is a sign of a sick mind? :C :C

tea lady
16th June 2010, 11:31 PM
Has everyone forgotten that a tidy shed/workshop is a sign of a sick mind? :C :CI think there is a quote from Einstien. Goes something like- if a messy desk is a sign of a messy mind what does an empty one mean? :cool:

Ed Reiss
17th June 2010, 11:49 AM
Like this Ed?

That's shameful ...can't find the fridge! :doh:

RETIRED
17th June 2010, 04:53 PM
That's shameful ...can't find the fridge! :doh:Fridge and more importantly, THE KETTLE is always accessible.

After some TLC (Tea Lady cleaning)139668

Where it went.139669

tea lady
17th June 2010, 05:53 PM
:sweat:

RETIRED
17th June 2010, 06:46 PM
:whip:

Calm
17th June 2010, 06:53 PM
:sweat:

:whip:

I am definitely not touching this one. :D:D:D:no::no::no::doh::doh::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ed Reiss
18th June 2010, 12:01 PM
:lmfao:

NeilS
19th June 2010, 01:06 PM
Where it went.139669

Just did my cleanup yesterday. Unfortunately no TLC available...:U. GBC (garbage bag count) was 48, about the same amount as the bag pile above, but took me quite a bit longer than a day to generate.

I know it's time to clean up when I can no longer reach down to turn or carry those large green lumps of wood up and over the rising wood shaving hills to the lathe...:o

On the other hand I'm with you on the dust, Jeff, and fanatical about dust (lung) protection.

rsser
19th June 2010, 01:36 PM
That's a good effort Neil!

Doing some flatwork recently made me realise just how much dust turning generates. V. diff from a pile of plane shavings on the floor.

tea lady
19th June 2010, 07:58 PM
Truth be told, only about 1/3rd of those bags were from the cypress posts of last week. :rolleyes: (Horrible stinky stuff. :yuck: )

NeilS
20th June 2010, 01:39 PM
.....cypress ... (Horrible stinky stuff. :yuck: )

But, not as stinky as the green silky oak that filled over half of my bags. In comparison the cypress was quite aromatic....:rolleyes:

tea lady
22nd June 2010, 07:29 PM
But, not as stinky as the green silky oak that filled over half of my bags. In comparison the cypress was quite aromatic....:rolleyes:

.....:think: yes! that can be a bit stinky, but after a week of handling these things..... :green: :yucky:

jefferson
23rd June 2010, 11:51 AM
Some are under the mistaken belief that my shed is a nice, clean and spotless workplace.

Alas not:

Having space is not always a great thing. Just more room for mess!

Anyway, I hope the pics clarify some misconceptions that I'm a "clean freak". :D:D

Waldo
23rd June 2010, 12:06 PM
You're doing okay, there's plenty of things everywhere to fall over, just like any decent shed. :2tsup:

Just more room to do it in. :grumble:

RETIRED
23rd June 2010, 01:05 PM
Has Col been there again?:rofl::wink:

NeilS
23rd June 2010, 04:53 PM
They must be the after the cleanup photos. So, where are the before the cleanup photos?

jefferson
23rd June 2010, 05:24 PM
Has Col been there again?:rofl::wink:

Nup, Col is out tomorrow.... :D:D:D

They must be the after the cleanup photos. So, where are the before the cleanup photos?

Neil, you must be offering to come over and do a proper tidy up. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: The VL 300 end looks kinda clean as Col blows all the chips / shavings under and behind the beast. Under the carpet so to speak.

New dust extractor for the long bed ordered today with Jim C. so the dust from sanding should be lessened. :2tsup::2tsup:

KenW
23rd June 2010, 05:44 PM
Like this Ed?

, you must have turned a heap of finials that day.
It takes me years to get my shed looking that good.

Jim Carroll
23rd June 2010, 06:23 PM
, you must have turned a heap of finials that day.
It takes me years to get my shed looking that good.

But Ken there is a subtle difference in the size finials you both turn.:D

Cliff Rogers
23rd June 2010, 08:29 PM
... a subtle difference ...
Yer reckon? :rolleyes:

The English language doesn't really have what it takes to describe that difference. :D

'Worlds apart' doesn't do it 'cos they aren't but they are. :think:

powderpost
23rd June 2010, 08:42 PM
Jeff, easy to solve the dust problem.............. don't use sand paper.. :)
Jim

RETIRED
23rd June 2010, 08:48 PM
I have to admit that I thought KW always wore a mask for the dust but I think it is to stop him from inhaling his finials when he parts them off.:wink:

NeilS
23rd June 2010, 09:57 PM
i have to admit that i thought kw always wore a mask for the dust but i think it is to stop him from inhaling his finials when he parts them off.:wink:

............... :rotfl:

tea lady
23rd June 2010, 11:07 PM
I have to admit that I thought KW always wore a mask for the dust but I think it is to stop him from inhaling his finials when he parts them off.:wink::roflmao2:

Grumpy John
24th June 2010, 03:27 PM
:clap:
Game and set to . Your serve Ken. :stirthepot:

The Bleeder
24th June 2010, 03:33 PM
Gone to find another ball..............:o:o

tea lady
24th June 2010, 07:41 PM
Gone to find another ball..............:o:owith his magnifying glass.:D

RETIRED
24th June 2010, 11:42 PM
Been a while Cliff.:D

Cliff Rogers
25th June 2010, 12:15 AM
I didn't think it was that bad, I have a picture of some of Ken's balls on the wall in my office. :rolleyes:

Ed Reiss
25th June 2010, 11:40 AM
Some are under the mistaken belief that my shed is a nice, clean and spotless workplace.

Alas not:

Having space is not always a great thing. Just more room for mess!

Anyway, I hope the pics clarify some misconceptions that I'm a "clean freak". :D:D

Jeff, my shop wouldn't look that clean in it's dreams :no: hell, the inside of my home doesn't look that clean :o:D