PDA

View Full Version : A couple of small bowls

Pat
12th June 2010, 04:43 PM
Both of the blanks were from the Illawarra Woodworkers Group (http://illawarrawoodworkers.org.au/) and will be returned to them for sale to help the club.

First one is "Corkwood", soft, easy to turn, with a bit of spalting. Dia 150mm and about 5mm thick walls. Sanded from 180 - 600, eee, Organoil Hard Burnishing Oilx2, DOx2 and Kunos oil. Why Kunos oil? Because it was there and I was in an experimental mood:U

The second is a bit of scrap Camphor Laurel, cleared my sinus'. Only about 100mm dia by 25-30 high. Sanded 120-600, eee, Kunos Oil x2. I did use my undercut tool, the first time on the new lathe, not as scary as the old Teknatool, more control of the speed and a solid foundation of the 200KG mass of the Yellow Peril helped.

What will anyone keep or use the small bowl for? I was actually thinking of the female of the species and their penchant of keeping little knick knacks :harhar: or I might go into another experimental phase and turn up a contrasting lid . . . I'll have a dig in my scrap bin.

wheelinround
12th June 2010, 04:54 PM
:~ First photo I thought Pats finally turned a decent size bowl and laid it down near a sledge hammer :doh: Its a flamin Hexkey handle

They look well done :2tsup::2tsup: Shame about being a lousy phone photo, then again I can understand Deb not allowing you near her camera:q

She looks good lawns need doing:; where's the dogs

Pat
12th June 2010, 06:24 PM
:~ First photo I thought Pats finally turned a decent size bowl and laid it down near a sledge hammer :doh: Its a flamin Hexkey handle To help certain people to reference the size . . . :q

They look well done :2tsup::2tsup: Shame about being a lousy phone photo, then again I can understand Deb not allowing you near her camera:q YES!

She looks good lawns need doing:; where's the dogs Lawns maybe done this weekend, maybe not. The dogs were under my feet, as per normal.

Ed Reiss
13th June 2010, 11:37 AM
Wha' happend Pat...give up on the "concrete" eucalypts????

Pat
13th June 2010, 01:36 PM
Wha' happend Pat...give up on the "concrete" eucalypts????

Ed, get it correct the scientific name is E.concretous:roll:. No I haven't given up on them, I am a member of a local club and we all turn up what ever we can have donated, scrounge or aquire:U

I have plenty of E.concretous in my wood shed, but the main aim of this long weekend is to make the drawers for my new bench, so that all the chucks and accessories are in one place, not in, currently 4 different locations near my lathe.

Next week I'll buy some more at the show:q

wheelinround
13th June 2010, 02:35 PM
Pat was seen during and after recent south storms chainsaw in hand and trailers full of E.concretous

Sawdust Maker
13th June 2010, 08:58 PM
interesting work
nice :2tsup:

I've found the little bowls are welcome for hearing aid thingys etc

jefferson
14th June 2010, 10:48 AM
I have plenty of E.concretous in my wood shed, but the main aim of this long weekend is to make the drawers for my new bench, so that all the chucks and accessories are in one place, not in, currently 4 different locations near my lathe.

Next week I'll buy some more at the show:q

So how many chucks are you intending to "acquire", Pat? Be careful at the show..... :D:D:D

Ed Reiss
14th June 2010, 12:02 PM
Next week I'll buy some more at the show

So, were triyn' to keep up with the Jones' and Jeffersons' then:doh::D:D

Pat
14th June 2010, 12:12 PM
Jeff, you don't have to worry about any more chucks, the Titan I got off Jim will do, but I am after some meaty 6" faceplates for some larger turnings . . . I'll probably go the Woodfast as I have the 82mm and it is solid, but I might get something else if at the show it catches my eye and is the right price:;

Ed, I couldn't keep up with Jeff, he has a farm to expand out onto . . . my 1/4 acre block is built as far as MBGitW and the local council will allow me:U