PDA

View Full Version : What's the forecast????

TTIT
16th Jun 2010, 09:12 AM
Scored this log of Stiff Denhamia on the weekend (along with a few other goodies :U ) and could see straight away that there was a chance for something I hadn't tried before. Cut the log into 6 x 300mm lengths and found just one end that had enough meat in the middle to tackle this so I waxed it until all the other logs were processed and got stuck into it last night. I figured I had to finish it in one session as it might not stay together for a second :C.
Used a 1/2" spindle gouge to slice the wings down to size while a 5/8 bowl gouge did the trick on the centre of the bowl. Got it down to about 5 or 6 mm right through except of course where the foot is thicker - I was nearly going to turn it off as well but decided it would need something to keep it upright. The 'wings' started to splay out when I was trying to clean up with a shear-scrape so a bit of tape was used to keep them in line. If it stays together I'll hand sand and finish it, if it doesn't, it was fun turning it anyway :shrug:
So what's the concensus??? will it stay in one piece or not ???? (wasn't game to look in the shed this morning :B )

Cliff Rogers
16th Jun 2010, 09:45 AM
It will be a keeper if it does hang together. :2tsup:

I don't know the timber but my experience has been that most things that size with the centre left in will crack.

Fingers crossed.

Paulphot
16th Jun 2010, 09:57 AM
I hope it dows stay together, that is a fantastic looking bowl.

Sawdust Maker
16th Jun 2010, 09:57 AM
what a great looking "flower" bowl
will the 'petals' splay by differing amounts

hope it hangs together

whether it will or not is something outside my knowledge.

Allen Neighbors
16th Jun 2010, 10:39 AM
I think it's awesome!! Will it stay together? I don't know... but if it was mine, I'd do everything I could to see that it does!!
If there's anyway for you to remount it, and make the foot concave (hollow it out a little.... no, a lot, as much as you can...) it would stand a better chance.
At 5 or 6 mm thickness, it stands a really good chance... probably warp like crazy, but that'd be fine.
I'd even put some lacquer wash on it to slow the drying some... 65% lacquer thinner/35%Lacquer... you can sand it away, later... it'll penetrate, but won't keep it from taking an oil finish after you sand it.
Well done!!!

rsser
16th Jun 2010, 11:48 AM
Yeah, looks terrific. But the thinner and more even the better the chances.

Follow any cracks and hit them with CA asap.

Al's point is a good one; I would use n/c sanding sealer.

brendan stemp
16th Jun 2010, 04:08 PM
What an absolute ripper! Great idea, great execution of idea. Well done.

steck
16th Jun 2010, 06:45 PM
I love it. Good luck with crack control!
:2tsup:

dai sensei
16th Jun 2010, 08:21 PM
Looks great to me :2tsup:

I tried it with some sheoak I have a long time ago, but it didn't last the weekend :(, but hopefully yours will last :-. The rest of my log has been waiting around drying as a whole for the past few years, one day I might get back to it :rolleyes:.

mkypenturner
16th Jun 2010, 08:46 PM
hope it holds :2tsup: it looks great

Cliff Rogers
16th Jun 2010, 09:53 PM
Have you looked yet?

Has it cracked yet?

Has it? Huh? Huh?

We are waiting..... :D

Manuka Jock
16th Jun 2010, 10:26 PM
The 'wings' started to splay out when I was trying to clean up with a shear-scrape :B )

Is ya petals blossoming TT ? :U

Nice piece there mate :2tsup:

TTIT
16th Jun 2010, 10:52 PM
Have you looked yet?

Has it cracked yet?

Has it? Huh? Huh?

We are waiting..... :D24 hours(ish) and only very minor cracking from the heart towards the folds - nowhere near as bad as I expected. I tried taking a little more off the foot but it wouldn't be enough to make much difference. Might go slap some sanding sealer on just for fun - can't hurt I suppose :shrug:

Manuka Jock
16th Jun 2010, 10:55 PM
Might go slap some sanding sealer on just for fun - can't hurt I suppose :shrug:
Good move

powderpost
17th Jun 2010, 12:29 AM
Looks really nice Vern, Hope it stays togeher. I would be tempted to bury it in some shavings. :2tsup:
Jim

TTIT
17th Jun 2010, 09:14 AM
Looks really nice Vern, Hope it stays togeher. I would be tempted to bury it in some shavings. :2tsup:
JimThought about it Jim but the shavings are all still wet too and I suspect this stuff would mould easily - shouldn't have cleaned up the shed before I started eh! :B

Christos
17th Jun 2010, 09:30 AM
I like it. Looks very nice. I am also watching to see how this dries out.

switt775
17th Jun 2010, 10:01 AM
- shouldn't have cleaned up the shed before I started eh! :B

On behalf of everyone who likes to leave piles of shavings around, thank you. This will make it much easier to defend myself to the neatness police.:D

At Turnfest this year a couple of guys were doing green turning, and using dishwashing liquid to stabilise the blanks before and during turning. Might be worth a try.

Cliff Rogers
17th Jun 2010, 10:10 AM
...guys were doing green turning, and using dishwashing liquid to stabilise the blanks before and during turning.... .
That has come up a few times on a couple of different forums before.

I have seen all sorts of brews, some also involve metho.

Here are a few links.
See post 4 in this old post. http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/e-s-p-90-woodtreatment-8975/

"http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=1863"

New Page 0 (http://www.turningwood.com/LDD.htm)

artme
17th Jun 2010, 07:59 PM
Brave experiment with a beautiful result!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Just hope it holds together for you Vern.

Sawdust Maker
17th Jun 2010, 08:22 PM
That has come up a few times on a couple of different forums before.

I have seen all sorts of brews, some also involve metho.

Here are a few links.
See post 4 in this old post. http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/e-s-p-90-woodtreatment-8975/

"http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=1863"

New Page 0 (http://www.turningwood.com/LDD.htm)

What about boiling?

Manuka Jock
17th Jun 2010, 08:51 PM
At Turnfest this year a couple of guys were doing green turning, and using dishwashing liquid to stabilise the blanks before and during turning. Might be worth a try.
I bung 'em in the freezer . Cored out a couple tonight at the guild , and I'll freeze them untill I can finish them tomorrow or next week .
Got about 6 in there all up .

Grumpy John
20th Jun 2010, 08:57 PM
OK Vern, it's been 4 days now, how's it lookin'.

rsser
20th Jun 2010, 09:18 PM
Reckon Vern's distracted with indoor stuff :rolleyes:

TTIT
20th Jun 2010, 10:30 PM
OK Vern, it's been 4 days now, how's it lookin'.2 cracks heading towards the folds - not too big to patch up so far. Will take a pic at the 1 week mark - fingers crossed :;

Allen Neighbors
21st Jun 2010, 12:47 PM
2 cracks heading towards the folds - not too big to patch up so far. Will take a pic at the 1 week mark - fingers crossed :;

I wait with bated breath!!:rolleyes::wink:

TTIT
23rd Jun 2010, 11:47 PM
One week on and we're not looking too bad :fingerscrossed: The two main cracks would be less than 1mm across, in fact I can't see through them - yet! There another 2 very small cracks starting towards the middle from the folds but I don't think they'll go far. Looks like it might be a keeper after all :shrug:

Manuka Jock
24th Jun 2010, 03:55 AM
One week on and we're not looking too bad :fingerscrossed: The two main cracks would be less than 1mm across, in fact I can't see through them - yet! There another 2 very small cracks starting towards the middle from the folds but I don't think they'll go far. Looks like it might be a keeper after all :shrug:
That's a fine looking shamrock you have carved on the base there TT :2tsup:

Allen Neighbors
24th Jun 2010, 05:10 AM
Beautiful piece!! Finish it and present it to--------- Listen. Even cracked, it's a keeper...... Well done!!!

TTIT
30th Jul 2010, 09:43 AM
Well I reckon it's about as dry as it's gonna get - actually gained weight on the last check - might have something to do with getting oversprayed from a very, very wet Sally wattle bowl I roughed out the other night.
Didn't end up too bad at all - only one more crack appearing after about 4 weeks and none of them are bad enough to stop me from finishing the piece - when I get time :C

Ed Reiss
30th Jul 2010, 12:17 PM
Not too bad considering that the checking didn't progress further than the pith.

Lookin' good :2tsup:

hughie
30th Jul 2010, 01:17 PM
Vern,

you could try this stuff next time

100% Non Toxic Wood Treatment Products Treated Wood Alternatives Deck Garden (http://www.cedarcidestore.com/preservatives.html)

I have heard some very good reports on US forums, no cracking what so ever. I got a price of 1US gallon shipped here $90. I gather you can brush on or spray it. One of the reports suggested cost wise it was around $1 per salad bowl

TTIT
30th Jul 2010, 10:36 PM
Vern,

you could try this stuff next time

100% Non Toxic Wood Treatment Products Treated Wood Alternatives Deck Garden (http://www.cedarcidestore.com/preservatives.html)

I have heard some very good reports on US forums, no cracking what so ever. I got a price of 1US gallon shipped here $90. I gather you can brush on or spray it. One of the reports suggested cost wise it was around $1 per salad bowlVery interesting! I'm no scientist, but even the explanation of how it works seems feasible :shrug: Wonder what the chances would be of customs letting some through ????:?

hughie
31st Jul 2010, 01:47 AM
Allen Neighbors has ordered a gallon I was going to see what he made of it before I got any further involved. As to customs, either the web site or I can give them a ring

artme
31st Jul 2010, 09:13 AM
:):)It looks as though fortune has smiled on you Vern!! And so it should.

I await the finished product.

TTIT
24th Sep 2010, 11:28 AM
Finally got around to sanding and finishing this one. Had to remove the bark to match the areas that had already lost some. It didn't get back to the rich orange colour it showed when first cut but the very fine, close grain shows it has potential for holding good detail for fine work without being as hard and heavy as a lot of our timber out here.
Happy enough with it but I wish I had gone a little thinner - maybe next time now that I know a little of how the denhamia behaves :shrug: .

Manuka Jock
24th Sep 2010, 11:36 AM
Brilliant piece of art TTIT :2tsup:
A six leaf clover :U

hughie
24th Sep 2010, 12:00 PM
Nice one Vern, It turned out just fine.....pun intended:U

:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Allen Neighbors
24th Sep 2010, 12:26 PM
An exceptional piece of work, Vern... What a load of patience you have!! :U
I think it's gorgeous!!

NeilS
24th Sep 2010, 12:49 PM
.............:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
24th Sep 2010, 01:10 PM
Vern
still looks good
is that a little checking in the bottom?

I wonder if a bit of native olive would turn out as nice - but I don't think I have any that is not cut in half lengthways :doh:

artme
24th Sep 2010, 02:26 PM
:o:o:o Beeeeeeeeeeeeewdiful!!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

For your next trick....................:?

Peter36
24th Sep 2010, 05:52 PM
Top marks for seeing the hidden beauty in the log.Stunning .:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

dai sensei
24th Sep 2010, 06:25 PM
Great result Vern :2tsup:

TTIT
24th Sep 2010, 11:06 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys :U. Can't take all the credit though - mother nature created the outline - I just cleaned it up :shrug:

benupton
24th Sep 2010, 11:18 PM
very nice turnout.:2tsup::2tsup:

Christos
25th Sep 2010, 03:27 PM
Ok then.

Very nice clean up.

powderpost
26th Sep 2010, 12:24 AM
Very pretty piece of work. there was a kiwi working in Port Douglas a while back, he turned a lot of pieces in the end grain and let them assume different shapes as they dried. Your piece is much better than any he did and the colour is very nice as well. :2tsup::2tsup:.
Jim

Allan at Wallan
26th Sep 2010, 10:53 AM
Simply brilliant Vern - great result.:2tsup:

Allan