PDA

View Full Version : Big, Old Lathe

quercus
18th June 2010, 09:50 PM
A mate of mine bought this old, very heavy, very big set of wood lathe parts at an auction of a Pattern Maker. It has no identifiable castings or marks to tell us who may have made it.
It consists of a tailstock, head and some cast supporting feet. There is no bed, it appears that we will have to make up a bed ourselves.

It looks capable of being made into a very long lathe.

I will probably be asking for more advice when we try and make the bed, mount the motor and figure out how to attach a chuck or faceplate.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of the make or age?
Thanks, Pat

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Manuka Jock
18th June 2010, 09:54 PM
Has it got a name ? any info at all .

Chief Tiff
18th June 2010, 10:00 PM
If I was to hazard a guess I'd say that the pattern maker himself built this machine. I reckon the bed would probably have been made from two lengths of "I", "C" or "T" section girders for rigidity. Interesting purchase!

bobsreturn2003
19th June 2010, 09:11 AM
some of these used a timber bed with angle iron recessed on inside of the timber . could be an option if you can get some dry large hard wood bridge timber? good find . bob :2tsup:

Gil Jones
19th June 2010, 10:38 AM
I have no idea who made your lathe, but here are several photos of how you might consider making a bed (ways) for it at a reasonable cost (though I would likely use two timbers on each side.
Good Luck with it,
Gil

Steve Bedair's Conover 16" Wood Lathe (http://bedair.org/ConoverLathe/Conover.html)

Page Title (http://www.lathes.co.uk/conover)

NeilS
19th June 2010, 11:38 AM
If I was to hazard a guess I'd say that the pattern maker himself built this machine.

That was my thought too.

My brother-in-law who was a pattern maker cast up his first lathe. It was big enough to turn fly and gear wheel patterns up to 6' diam.

artme
19th June 2010, 08:44 PM
Shoild be able to make a real beast from that!!

The tailstck is certainly substantial. It should be possible to set it up so there is absolutelt no play.