PDA

View Full Version : Shed time

Grumpy John
26th June 2010, 07:02 PM
Is all shed time good shed time?

The reason I ask this is that lately I don't seem to be getting much out of my shed time. I just potter around moving stuff from one place to another (not tidying up :no:), maybe sharpen a few tools, have a play around on the lathe, then shut up shop. A while ago I promised a friend I'd make him a container for him to keep his cooking utensils in. It took me about 6 - 8 weeks to make it and in the end I just gave it to him for free as I was not happy with the finish. Even though he was prepared to pay $60 for it, I couldn't take the money and look him in the face again. Apart from that I haven't made anything on the lathe for months.

Calm
26th June 2010, 08:12 PM
retireed feb 9th, gave big gulp to SIL fto make stand for me - havent seen stand - havent been on the lathe since 8th feb either - maybe should sell it/them??

Calm
26th June 2010, 08:13 PM
NBL - PMF

:o

:oo::oo:

:no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no:

Grumpy John
26th June 2010, 08:25 PM
nbl - pmf

:o

:oo::oo:

:no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no:

????????ay!

Pat
26th June 2010, 08:41 PM
John, any time in the shed is good, even if it is to move one pile of carp from one bench to another:U

orificiam
26th June 2010, 09:09 PM
I Agree with Pat :aro-u: But I know how you feel,I get some of those days as well.
Cheers Tony:)

rsser
26th June 2010, 09:28 PM
Yeah, you can go through stale periods.

Maybe take a lesson, or just do some small easy items or tackle something you've not tried before.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th June 2010, 11:29 PM
My sympathies John. I know exactly how you feel.

With my "new" shed I spend half an hour just finding the tools I want to use... and by the time that's done I think "Buggrit. Time for a cuppa" and that's the end of my shed time.

Hopefully things'll change soon...

Texian
26th June 2010, 11:30 PM
Yeah, I have times like that. Sometimes just do some sweeping up, pet my shop cat (she requires a lot of personal attention), put stuff away. Usually only a few days though, until I automatically, robot-like, put some wood on the lathe and start turning. Compulsive behavior.

arose62
27th June 2010, 08:57 AM
I've completely given up going to the cr*ppy little garden shed where my lathe, B/S, dreams, plans and interests are quietly rotting away.

Ah, the price of getting SWMBO's 'fancy house' goes far, far beyond the mere $$$

Where's the emoticon for a facade of normalcy, whilst sobbing on the inside?

Allan at Wallan
27th June 2010, 10:14 AM
Blame the weather.

*Whether you like going into a cold shed this time of year.
* Whether the missus wants you to help her with the housework.
* Whether you have the right piece of wood for that special item of art.
* Whether the polish/finish will cure in this weather.
* Whether your football match is on T.V.

..... more "whethers" than you will find in a flock of sheep.:D

Allan

jefferson
27th June 2010, 11:01 AM
retireed feb 9th, gave big gulp to SIL fto make stand for me - havent seen stand - havent been on the lathe since 8th feb either - maybe should sell it/them??

Opening offer for the 750 Stubby = $3,500. :D:D:D

Pat
27th June 2010, 11:05 AM
Jeff, I was going to offer David $1.50 and I meet the removal costs:q

(The removal costs would be me flying down to Melbourne, then hiring a suitable vehicle, picking up the unloved Stubby and driving back to Dog's country - NSW:U)

I know, I know, how selfless of me, but I canna leave a poor unloved toy by itself:;

jefferson
27th June 2010, 11:46 AM
Pat, Calm's turning hobby is almost like a deceased estate. In short, it's all come to a standstill. :p

That said, the offer I made was a tad low - what about $4K??? I don't need any of those blunt chisels either, just the lathe. I assume is still has the protective plastic wrapper on the start switch? :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
27th June 2010, 12:18 PM
Amatuers:q...I went almost 9 years without touching the switch on the lathe or a lathe tool.

Course being in pain and on pain killers 24/7 might have had a tad to do with that:~

wheelinround
27th June 2010, 01:45 PM
after two days doing some shed time I am annoyed to damn cold for starters, this progresses to muscles that won't or don't warm up and refuse to work. So I try a bit harder only to end up cramped hunched over and freezing. Its a nice sunny day but the wind chill is :cold:.

Pat your shed would warm due to the skylight allowing the sun to heat it the internal walls insulation and floor a big PLUS. By this afternoon I expect at least 3 or 4 BS blades made.:U

Grumpy John
13th July 2010, 06:43 PM
I got inspired today and had a good cleanup in the shed and made some inroads on the lack of storage, but the best bit is I actually finished something on the lathe :hpydans2:. It's only small, but it's finished, a tea candle holder made from some Sourhern Red Oak (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f14/any-info-southern-red-oak-118503/) Steck (Steve) gave me.

141714 141715 141716 141717

Big Shed
13th July 2010, 07:22 PM
Looking good GJ:2tsup:, looks like Sunday's do got the juices flowing again.

Grumpy John
13th July 2010, 07:34 PM
Looking good GJ:2tsup:, looks like Sunday's do got the juices flowing again.

I didn't actually do any turning at 's, but yes, seeing everyone getting stuck into it certainly made me pull my finger out.

Pat
13th July 2010, 09:18 PM
Well I wandered out to the new shed after work today, I decided it needed a tidy up . . . put away some of the mess then saw the little bowl I had been mucking around with and thought, I'll just turn the spigot off.

Huon Pine 250x68, apologies for the pic quality.

Geez my shed smells good :U

wheelinround
13th July 2010, 09:47 PM
Well I wandered out to the new shed after work today, I decided it needed a tidy up . . . put away some of the mess then saw the little bowl I had been mucking around with and thought, I'll just turn the spigot off.

Huon Pine 250x68, apologies for the pic quality.

Geez my shed smells good :U

Even have more room for more wood now to Pat

Bowl looks great cept for pic please ask Deb to do photo's in future :q

Sawdust Maker
13th July 2010, 10:15 PM
Even have more room for more wood now to Pat

Bowl looks great cept for pic please ask Deb to do photo's in future :q

I'm sure I saw a bunch of those bowls a KMart :p

Grumpy John
I was going to say that all shed time is good time - especially compared to office time
My second idea was to do a mass turnup at your shed and badger you into, at least, leaning against the lathe and telling yarns

wheelinround
13th July 2010, 10:27 PM
I'm sure I saw a bunch of those bowls a KMart :p

Grumpy John
I was going to say that all shed time is good time - especially compared to office time
My second idea was to do a mass turnup at your shed and badger you into, at least, leaning against the lathe and telling yarns

:hahaha:@ K-mart

ya did that Sunday Nick yawning and yarning didn't we :;

Ed Reiss
14th July 2010, 11:57 AM
Good job on the t-lite holder John :2tsup:

The wood looks a lot like our maple here in the states.

Sawdust Maker
14th July 2010, 11:03 PM
Saw a t-shirt at the gym the other day
"a bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at the office"

It made me start thinking of shed slogans

any time in the shed is better than a good day at the office
or
a day at the lathe is more fun then ... did someone say good day at the office:doh:
or
time at the lathe is better then sex (not sure I agree with this one)