PDA

View Full Version : Rockler Hardware

John Saxton
1st October 2004, 11:12 PM
I have downloaded plans for an extendable octagonal table and the requirements hardware wise is for the hardware to be accessed from Rockler.
Some of these are readily available here however I still need to get some of the hardware from Rockler.
I have decided to to buy more than I require for any future needs!

Have anybody within these BB boundaries used Rockler and got what they wanted without any hassles from Customs.

I have frequently ordered overseas,however not on a basis where I want to order larger hardware provisions.
What would be construed as commercial and private use for importations?

Cheers :)

Grunt
1st October 2004, 11:21 PM
I believe that you wont get charged if the value of the order is less than $200. Collecting the duty isn't worth it for less than that. You could make multiple orders and keep the value of each order below $200.

Grunt

John Saxton
2nd October 2004, 07:55 PM
Hi Grunt, I have previously ordered overseas well in excess of $500 and had no bother, However I was wondering what would be construed as a commercial amount that would naturally attract an impost.

Grunt
3rd October 2004, 11:15 AM
Hi Grunt, I have previously ordered overseas well in excess of $500 and had no bother, However I was wondering what would be construed as a commercial amount that would naturally attract an impost.

I think you might have just been lucky with the order over $500. I think it works that large dollar value orders are considered to be commercial as it multiples of the same item. If you bring in 40 copies of a Spice Girls cd, they will think you are trying to sell the them or that you are some kind of sicko.

Iain
3rd October 2004, 12:00 PM
We used to import on a business basis from the US and Customs advised that they do not collect if the value of duty/tax etc is $50 or under.
This of course would depend on the tariff on the specific item.
I found that the rules were very flexible and often goods came in unchecked and tariff free, must have been a busy day at customs.
If you import on a business basis customs inform you that the goods are being held and it is up to you to clear the goods with the correct tariff identification number. If the number is incorrect you are fined.
The identification numbers are also open to interpretation, theirs not yours.
An agent will charge an arm and a leg to clear for you and is not really worthwhile unless you are importing container loads.
An example of interpretation:
Fish Hooks, according to the rules they are not manufactured in Aus and therefore should not attract import duty, but, they could be and therefore a tariff could apply.
Whichever way, you lose.
I used to import bulk orders in early to mid October to be sent surface freight, it would arrive mid December when customs are flat out and it would often sail through unnoticed and tariff free.
Oh, how guilty I feel :p

ozwinner
3rd October 2004, 07:19 PM
I used to import bulk orders in early to mid October to be sent surface freight, it would arrive mid December when customs are flat out and it would often sail through unnoticed and tariff free.
Oh, how guilty I feel :p
Sooooo, its your fault all the schools and hostibals are closeing.

Al :D

Grunt
3rd October 2004, 08:40 PM
Sooooo, its your fault all the schools and hostibals are closeing

When you've been elected PM, it'll be your fault.

John Saxton
3rd October 2004, 08:45 PM
Thanks gents, for your insights and some seasonal input!

John Saxton
20th October 2004, 08:36 PM
All items arrived No probs.....musta been election time :rolleyes: expediency knows no bounds and Rockler offer a great service ...first time I have used them and am impressed.

Ziggy
24th October 2004, 10:22 AM
Hi Johno,

Curious to know - how long did your order take to arrive after placing your order?

Cheers,

Brendan

Iain
24th October 2004, 10:43 AM
Ziggy, I have used them and the timespan was between 5 & 7 days.
Best was an email order on Sunday evening received Friday AM.
The difference in freight between surface mail and airmail was something like 50cents.

scooter
24th October 2004, 10:47 AM
... If you bring in 40 copies of a Spice Girls cd, they will think you are trying to sell the them or that you are some kind of sicko.

More the latter I'm tipping...

John Saxton
1st November 2004, 11:17 PM
Hi Johno,

Curious to know - how long did your order take to arrive after placing your order?

Cheers,

Brendan

Hi Brendan, around 10 day's if I recall corectly to the other side of the Universe here in W.A.