PDA

View Full Version : woodmaster lathe

waikikin
27th June 2010, 10:07 PM
Hi, I aquired this woodlathe a week or so ago, it seems pretty sturdy(about 80+ kg) & has a 1.5 hp motor, runs quiet, the speed control is via a variable single belt drive, I'm not a wood turner but am willing to give it a go but would like some feed back on the suitability of the machine for mallet making & similar, the machine came with no accessories. I ran it the first time today after squirting some oil about, I spose the next thing is to spin up some wood. Regards from Jeff.:)

RETIRED
27th June 2010, 11:13 PM
It looks like a Shopsmith.
Shopsmith - Woodworking Tools and Accessories (http://www.shopsmith.com/)

Rifleman1776
28th June 2010, 12:25 AM
Agree, Shopsmith.
It will do alright for your basic turning needs. It does require some specific fittings.
After cleaning up, you could probably sell to an avid Shopsmith/Woodmaster collector and make a nice profit. With those funds you could buy a genuine lathe and really get addicted to the spinny vice. :wink:

Ed Reiss
28th June 2010, 11:43 AM
Not exactly a Shopsmith, a clone.

Bought my Shopsmith in 1979 and it was the "lathe" I learned on, but be advised that you don't want to mount a large blank (especially one that is out of balance) to turn, as the low end speed (700 RPM) is way too fast.

Still use my Shopsmith only as a disc sander...it's great for that use.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

NeilS
28th June 2010, 12:42 PM
Jake Darvall (apricotripper forum name) who is a Windsor Chair maker uses them professionally (has two) to turn his delicate spindles.

I have turned faceplate on his up to about 10-12"diam, but having said that they seemed to be more suited to spindle work IMO.

His website is here (http://www.darvallsmodernwindsors.com/)

waikikin
28th June 2010, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the info, I had the feeling that it might be a bit quick, I have access to a woodfast at work but in 30 odd years in timberwork I've only turned timber on a metal lathe & been a bit shy of the dangerous looking woodlathe. I think I might ebay the machine I got & invest in some timber to turn at work. Thanks again & regards from Jeff:U

RETIRED
28th June 2010, 07:31 PM
There is nothing dangerous about wood lathes if you obey the rules.:D

jefferson
28th June 2010, 07:57 PM
's Rule Number 1:

If you can stall a lathe, it's a.... it's a.....

Stubby. :D:D:D

waikikin
28th June 2010, 09:26 PM
There is nothing dangerous about wood lathes if you obey the rules.:D
My No. 1 rule is to maintain attachment of all fingers!! & eyes ears & lungs...
Is there a rules page?.......... OK I'll search.
All the best from Jeff:wink:

RETIRED
28th June 2010, 10:11 PM
There is no rule book on here I think.

I have seen worse damage to people on metal lathes that wood ones.

Basic rule in woodturning is keep everything on your side of the fence (tool rest) except the chisel.

Make sure that you start at the lowest speed and work up.

Everything is tight including the timber BEFORE you hit the start button.

Be alert and watch what you are doing.

Wear adequate protection for the job at hand.

I still have all fingers and thumbs after 30+ years and intend to keep them.:D

China
28th June 2010, 10:57 PM
As said by , woodturning is very safe if you follow safety prcodeures as with any trade or hobby, in 40 od yrs I have never had serious accident on a wood lathe.

( 40 yrs? doesn't time fly )

waikikin
21st July 2010, 10:00 PM
I sold it on ebay, now I gotta get some mallet wood, any leads on ebony/ligninV or alternatives. Regards from Jeff.

Rifleman1776
22nd July 2010, 05:38 AM
I sold it on ebay, now I gotta get some mallet wood, any leads on ebony/ligninV or alternatives. Regards from Jeff.

Personally, I would not choose ebony, LV or similar woods for a mallet. They are fairly brittle. Ebony would be beautiful for a presentation item but not for pounding, IMHO.
Other hard-hardwoods are fine. Fruitwoods, Dogwood, Osage Orange are all excellent. You have a fine variety of woods, many of which would be fine, and beautiful.