PDA

View Full Version : Another mad spindle turner

NeilS
6th July 2010, 04:16 PM
Not sure what it is with these spindle turners with their large lathes. Not sure I would even want to get that close a to large eccentrically mounted spinning log to video it. Anyway, see here (http://s337.photobucket.com/albums/n389/hyperhutch/ArtPrize%202010/?action=view&current=MOV04595.mp4).

Reckons he's going to then hollow it out. I'm thinking multiple steady rests as large as the ones used by ball mills in the ceramic industry and a boring bar attached to those horizontal drilling rigs used in underground mining...:U

RETIRED
6th July 2010, 04:35 PM
A mere baby.:wink:

Nice looking tailstock and bed. Looks like he uses a compound rest ala metal working lathe.

It does help if you have a little bit of insanity.:D

joe greiner
6th July 2010, 07:52 PM
You call that a tailstock? Here's a tailstock for a mate's Oliver pattern lathe, with my recently-bought Dremel Moto-Lathe (garage sale, US$15) perched on it for grins. The total length of the Dremel is about 320mm.

Cheers,
Joe

Ed Reiss
7th July 2010, 12:08 PM
Extra large vase in the Mark Linquist tradition.:2tsup:

brendan stemp
10th July 2010, 01:11 PM
"Mad spindle turner"?? Surely that's a tautology.:D

NeilS
10th July 2010, 02:05 PM
"Mad spindle turner"?? Surely that's a tautology.:D

Hmmm.... no further comment from me in case I dig myself in a little deeper than I intended....:rolleyes:

And, I certainly wouldn't say so within close proximity to someone with a very large skew in their hands....:U

cultana
11th July 2010, 01:48 AM
Besides loose phrases as "mad spindle turners" and hints of insanity along the way I could not work out if he had both ends off set or just the tailstock end.

If it was both ends then I am envious.. I have problems with my lathe doing a shed dance when I try going beyond 10 mm off set each end and only with a 300 x 120 mm piece.

RETIRED
11th July 2010, 08:51 AM
He only has the tailstock end off centre.

He has a lot of mass in the lathe itself too.

NeilS
11th July 2010, 11:26 AM
He has a lot of mass in the lathe itself too.

He thinks his lathe weighs just under a ton.