PDA

View Full Version : Wooden BOBS Balls - Help to find/buy

QldWoodie
4th October 2004, 09:53 AM
A retired friend whose hobby is restoring old games is doing up an old BOBS game. Do they still make these, I wonder?

It has 6 wooden (pine) balls/spheres, each 1.5 inches diameter, of which 4 are missing ... gone forever.

I'd appreciate any help in locating a source (in Brisbane area, or mail order)

Thanks

Qw

bitingmidge
4th October 2004, 10:00 AM
QW,

There are a number of US woodwork/craft sites that sell wooden balls as cheap as chips. Try Cardinal Enterprises (http://www.cardinalenterprises.com/full_round_balls_to_3_inch_diame.htm) or do a search for < wood balls craft supplies >.

They are about $3.50 us for a pack of ten, cheaper if you buy 500 or 1000

Till now, I wondered who bought them!!

I have been trying to get a hold of an old Bobs set myself to do a measured drawing with a view to building some in the future (don't laugh everyone!!).

Any chance of some photos and basic dimensions?

Cheers,

P

QldWoodie
4th October 2004, 04:25 PM
Try Cardinal Enterprises (http://www.cardinalenterprises.com/full_round_balls_to_3_inch_diame.htm) or ....

Thanks, Midge. I'll pass this on to him .... I'm going to the USA next week and might be able to bring a pack of 10 back (Australian quarantine permitting, that is!)

I have been trying to get a hold of an old Bobs set myself to do a measured drawing with a view to building some in the future (don't laugh everyone!!).

I haven't seen his set yet, and not sure what state it is in, but I'll see if I can get some pictures and dimensions

Qw

bitingmidge
4th October 2004, 05:00 PM
While I think of it, if anyone has any of the original publications with rules of versions of BOBS games, I'd love to see, hear or othewise get to know them.

Haven't had any luck on the internet, any search for "Bobs" usually ends up with results like "Billy Bob's Guns" or dogs, or trucks or pickups :p .

Cheers,

P

David L
4th October 2004, 05:30 PM
I have a Bobs set I made many years ago, which is a copy.
800mm L 100mm H
9 openings 55mm wide by 50mm High @ 90mm Centers. Randomly numbered
The pens are 150 mm Deep

The hinged side arms are 400mm Long.

We couldn't buy wooden balls at the time from the hobby shop but they had plastic ones.

I also would be interested in the rules, we made up our own.

Don't have a dig camera so cant post a photo

David

Toggy
4th October 2004, 09:12 PM
About now all woodies called Bob have crossed their legs and gone into hiding in case they become prospective donors. :eek::eek::D:D

Ken

echnidna
4th October 2004, 09:30 PM
only the wooden bobs have done that

gatiep
5th October 2004, 01:28 AM
Carbatec in Perth have wooden balls for sale. ( lol, without the for sale that sounded funny ) You can email them, check out contact details on www.carbatecwa.com.au (http://www.carbatecwa.com.au) I think they may have them listed on their website under wooden blah blah, not listed in the catalog. Check it out.

:)

QldWoodie
5th October 2004, 08:52 AM
While I think of it, if anyone has any of the original publications with rules of versions of BOBS games
I checked out my friend's set last night and the dimensions are just as David L described.

There seems to be some dispute on the numbering. He has two sets with different numbers. He is sure that the "3" is in the centre and the numbers alternate high and low either side. I think his numbers go:
5-8-2-6-3-7-1-9-4

As for the rules of play: He says you only score if you go in off another ball - you score negative if you go straight in. There is a black ball positioned at the start about 6 inches in front of the "3." Potting the black gives you double.

Thanks gatiep for the CarbaTec link .... I'll try them in Brisbane

Qw

jamesy
5th October 2004, 07:25 PM
Were there ever any rules!

Dusty Workshop
6th October 2004, 01:59 PM
Here is a link for you. You can buy them here...

http://www.awsc-online.com/ContentB1.htm#Ball

Cheers,

DUSTY :)

QldWoodie
6th October 2004, 02:34 PM
Here is a link for you.
Thanks, Dusty .... I'll pass it on

Qw

rogersjr
18th June 2005, 06:25 PM
QldWoodie,

regarding the rules. Does it follow that hittng a red ball into another red ball which then goes in an opening would also score?

John Rogers

outback
18th June 2005, 06:49 PM
I have a plastic balled version of Bobs.

Dimensions sound right. As for rules I was taught by my Grandfather, what everyone else said seems to ring bells.

(Would that make them ballbells?)

QldWoodie
22nd June 2005, 11:16 AM
regarding the rules. Does it follow that hittng a red ball into another red ball which then goes in an opening would also score?
Sorry, John .... I last played Bobs myself about 40 years ago and I don't think I knew the rules then.

Good luck!

Qw

Jack E
22nd June 2005, 11:58 AM
I checked out my friend's set last night

Are we still talking about balls :p :p :p

Jack

rogersjr
22nd June 2005, 12:21 PM
Thanks. I also last played bobs 40 years ago and did not know the rules then.

Wizened of Oz
23rd June 2005, 10:10 AM
Timbecon's catalogue lists hardwood balls ranging from 12.7 to 62mm diameter.
www.timbecon.com.au

Kind regards
Brian

RufflyRustic
23rd June 2005, 12:50 PM
Great! - so that's what the name of the game is for the "5-8-2-6-3-7-1-9-4" wooden thing with arches in it that I think you try to hit the balls through with the funny cue sticks my Mum gave me.......:confused: I think we've got cue sticks and the arches, but no balls...

cheers
RufflyRustic

Geoff Allen
20th July 2005, 02:05 PM
Bmidge

A member of our club brought in his original copy of the rules
So,“Bobs Rules”

1. Push in the two arms at each end and arrange the set at the end of a cloth covered table.
2. Place the odd coloured ball about 6” in front of the centre hole of the set and centrally between the two projecting arms.
3. The remaining balls are played from a fixed point or line at the other end of the table.
4. Each player plays the remaining balls. The odd ball must be hit by one of the remaining balls before any score is counted in any round.
5. If the odd ball is not hit by the first ball played, then that ball is “dead” and must be removed from the table before play goes on. This is repeated until the odd ball is hit.
6. If any ball is played into one of the apertures before the odd ball has been hit, the number shown over the aperture is deducted from the score of the player and the ball is removed from the table. Once the odd ball has been hit the remaining balls may be played into any aperture.
7. As each player completes a round, the numbers scored are added to the player’s total, then the next player carries on.
8. Points are scored by playing the balls into the apertures and adding the scores shown.
9. Should the odd ball be played into any pocket, double the number shown.
10. Games up to 50 or 100 points may be played and the player reaching the number first is the winner.

Enjoi
Geoff

Pughy
25th November 2007, 11:29 AM
I have the original bobs set my Mum and Dad bought I expect somewhere in the 50's. It is complete with the cue and 5 brown and 1 black wooden balls. One arm has fallen off but I have retained it also.
I'm interested to hear what people think I should do with it. I see from this site many of you would probably offer to take it off my hands. It holds special memories of many fun family nights but what is the use of keeping it in a storage cupboard? Thankyou.
:doh:

bitingmidge
25th November 2007, 05:17 PM
I wouldn't mind borrowing it to measure it if that's cool?

And some pics would be nice. (on this thread I mean)

Cheers,
P

echnidna
25th November 2007, 05:48 PM
another oldie reborn :D

bitingmidge
25th November 2007, 05:53 PM
Yep, but in a good way!

Oh Pughy, the parents of my grandson live with him at the back of the Daisy Hill school, so it won't be too hard to arrange a viewing!

Cheers,

P
:cool:

echnidna
25th November 2007, 06:05 PM
Breathing new life into old threads can help make info easier to find.

artme
25th November 2007, 08:05 PM
I played Bobs as a kid over 50 years ago whn dad bought we 4 boys a set for Christmas. I haven't seen a set for over 40 years. Great stuph.

If I can get the plans I will make a set for the grandkids.:2tsup::2tsup:

ihog
26th November 2007, 09:01 AM
As someone who doesn't have a clue what y'all are talking about, some pictures would really help. At this point all I know is someone is playing with Bobs balls. :U

Outsider
26th November 2007, 12:14 PM
Hi Guys And Gals,

If my reading of the information is correct and if not please inform. I have drawn what has been described in this thread as a BOBS SET.

No one has mentioned that as wood turners that we should be able to make the balls. I'm Sure I couldn't get them so they would run let alone run true but that could be part of the challenge of the game.

Good luck

RETIRED
26th November 2007, 12:46 PM
Hi Guys And Gals,

If my reading of the information is correct and if not please inform. I have drawn what has been described in this thread as a BOBS SET.

No one has mentioned that as wood turners that we should be able to make the balls. I'm Sure I couldn't get them so they would run let alone run true but that could be part of the challenge of the game.

Good luckRight on Outsider.:2tsup:

joe greiner
27th November 2007, 12:55 AM
Sounds like a mixture of bowling, snooker, and croquet. A Google of ["bobs game" balls rules] provided a couple possibly worthwhile hits:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/OLD-WOODEN-BOBS-GAME-WITH-4-WOODEN-BALLS-CUE_W0QQitemZ120180613712QQihZ002QQcategoryZ1197QQcmdZViewItem

The pic of the rules is too indistinct for me to decipher. But word sizes and locations, along with an expectation of what they should say, might work. Alternatively, you might be able to contact the buyer or seller to request a copy or a better pic.

http://www.tadnsw.org.au/Documents/TADAID%202006.pdf

Pages 49 & 50 show a variation for disabled players.

I'm still in the dark, though.

Joe

Pughy
17th December 2007, 09:10 AM
Bitingmidge, sorry I have taken so long to reply but sure you can measure it. As I am just a visitor to this site, I'm not really sure about giving details for contact etc. I also live close to the school so it should work well. I am also on holiday presently and make myself available at most times.
Pughy

bitingmidge
17th December 2007, 09:54 AM
No problems Pughy, send me a PM - click on the "bitingmidge" link above my avatar, and there'll be a menu that says, "send a private message to bitingmidge"

The rest is easy.

Thanks,
P

bitingmidge
17th December 2007, 02:36 PM
Pughy,

You've sent me a message OK, but you have PM's and emails turned off, so I can't reply. Could you send another PM with either your email address or phone no in it please?

P

Hickory
18th December 2007, 12:59 PM
Daring to be known as a dumb Yank, I have been looking at this string and reading but not yet have I been able to assertain what Bobs game is. Could someone elaborate for a dumb old lurker

BTW, Congradulations on you breaking through to summer whilst we whine away the hours freezing our tushie off....

Hickory
18th December 2007, 01:24 PM
Daring to be known as a dumb Yank, I have been looking at this string and reading but not yet have I been able to assertain what Bobs game is. Could someone elaborate for a dumb old lurker

BTW, Congradulations on you breaking through to summer whilst we whine away the hours freezing our tushie off....

RETIRED
18th December 2007, 01:27 PM

BTW, Congradulations on you breaking through to summer whilst we whine away the hours freezing our tushie off....Imagine a board that stands vertically with archways cut into it just a little bigger than the size of the ball. The ball is about 30mm in diam. so the arch is about 35mm wide.

This board stands at the end of a dining (or kitchen) table that is covered by a blanket.

You have a small cue and the object of the game is to drive a ball with the cue through the arches which have numbers above them from the other end of the table.

The one after x number of turns with the highest tally wins.

Hope this makes sense.

Pughy
20th December 2007, 10:37 PM
Sorry Bitingmidge but it is a long story I'm sure you'd rather not hear as to what I did with my email contact. i think all is well now so I will send you another private email.

Pughy

tricia
15th January 2008, 10:17 AM
Have you sold your bobs set yet...I am interested in buying one...I am in Brisbane
Tricia

suzanne
25th June 2008, 09:09 PM
hi rogersjr,not sure how old your message is I have a photo of a bob set but without the balls not sure how to send photo instructions on back of stand .
lee

dhurrang
25th June 2008, 11:14 PM
:pics:

bitingmidge
26th June 2008, 09:16 AM
hi rogersjr,not sure how old your message is I have a photo of a bob set but without the balls not sure how to send photo instructions on back of stand .
lee
suzanne/ lee,

Take your photo, resize it to less than 100kb then use the "managed attachment" button below the text box as you are replying.

It's all self explanatory once you start.

Cheers,

P

tea lady
26th June 2008, 09:57 AM
This thread should be renamed "the Bob's Balls Saga.":D:D

But where are the pics? After nearly three years of posts surely someone can do some pics? Even I am curious now.:rolleyes::D

Guardog
28th June 2008, 09:21 PM
I found this forum while serching the internet for information about the Games of Bobs. I'm 49 years old and I remember as a kid that my grandmother had a snooker type table but the they didn't have any corner pockets. There was a row of pockets at the with numbers above the pockets. I remember trying to play it but I didn't have much success. My Grandmother called it a Bobs Board.
I live in Broken Hill and in 1996 I purchased an old wood / tin place, it was about 90 years old. When I was fixing up the place, under the house I find an old tea chest and inside was an old broken pool cue and a couple of the pockets with numbers above them. They were in very poor condition. Also inside the box were eight woodn balls. I is a little smaller than the others and painted white. You can tell that they are of some age because of the condition of the white ball.
Is there anyone that can give me some information about what this game is ??
Thanks

Manuka Jock
28th June 2008, 10:34 PM
This thread should be renamed "the Bob's Balls Saga.":D:D

But where are the pics? After nearly three years of posts surely someone can do some pics? Even I am curious now.:rolleyes::D

:wss:

Yeah , show us ya Bobs

:worthless:

Guardog
29th June 2008, 01:31 PM
I played the game when I was a lad at my grandmothers home in Bankstown, Sydney. I didn't know the rules either. I don't know what happened to the board, but it went missing years and years ago.
I have lived in Broken Hill 13 years now and my first home here was an old wood/tin place. When I was renovating I came across and old tea chest under the house. Inside were the remains of and old Bobs Board, only a couple of the pockets remained, along with an old broken up cue and eight wooden balls. One is painted white and a touch smaller then the rest.
They are of some age as the white ball is faded and showing age.
The rest of the balls are in really good shape. I have kept them for years.
I was surfing the net and I decided to find information on Bobs on the internet..... I found nothing but you guys here. So, can anyone help in giving me information on the game, it may be possible to build a table.
Thanks, Ray

Jase
10th August 2008, 01:26 AM
I have a Bobs set here in front of me made by my grandfather...he copied a purchased one. The rules as listed in a previous thread appear almost spot on. Here they are again...

1. Push in the two arms at each end and arrange the set at the end of a cloth covered table.
2. Place the odd coloured ball about 6” in front of the centre hole of the set and centrally between the two projecting arms.
3. The remaining balls are played from a fixed point or line at the other end of the table.
4. Each player plays the remaining balls. The odd ball must be hit by one of the remaining balls before any score is counted in any round.
5. If the odd ball is not hit by the first ball played, then that ball is “dead” and must be removed from the table before play goes on. This is repeated until the odd ball is hit.
6. If any ball is played into one of the apertures before the odd ball has been hit, the number shown over the aperture is deducted from the score of the player and the ball is removed from the table. Once the odd ball has been hit the remaining balls may be played into any aperture.
7. As each player completes a round, the numbers scored are added to the player’s total, then the next player carries on.
8. Points are scored by playing the balls into the apertures and adding the scores shown.
10. Games up to 50 or 100 points may be played and the player reaching the number first is the winner.

The numbering mentioned earlier does not appear correct. The centre hole is a 1 with the 8 to the left and 9 to the right...with the idea being the first hit you aim to hit the odd coloured ball on an angle to go into either the 8 or 9 (the highest possible openings). After a few games tonight with a young cousin, I was hoping to be able to find a set to buy on the internet. There's nothing so looks like I might have to copy the one I've got...though I'm not much of a woodworker. There's a couple of Australian websites that sell the wooden balls. They're quite cheap - just the postage that hurts.

Bluntles
8th September 2008, 06:51 PM
:2tsup::2tsup:

Didn't know that so many people knew about a game that i used to play when I visited my Grandad as a young boy. I'm now 70 and wanted to get some sizes etc, for making this game for my grandkids. The only info lacking so far is the length of the cue used for "Bobs". Also, I think it might be p[ossible to make the whole set in a fold-out construction so as to be able to store it in a box just long enough for the cue.

Any suggestions ?

Bluntles is the nickname I had at Primary School

dhurrang
9th September 2008, 02:14 PM
:wss:

Yeah , show us ya Bobs

:worthless:

How about a drawing ?????? Some visual representation !!!! Anything!!! I'm with you guys, interested yet unable to visualise the end product :rolleyes: A simple indoor game requiring physical coordination, concentration and respect (coz Pa made it for the grandkids). It might even compete with the plug in drug (for a short while :wink:).

Bluntles
9th September 2008, 03:01 PM
I have a Bobs set here in front of me made by my grandfather...he copied a purchased one. The rules as listed in a previous thread appear almost spot on. Here they are again...

The numbering mentioned earlier does not appear correct. The centre hole is a 1 with the 8 to the left and 9 to the right...with the idea being the first hit you aim to hit the odd coloured ball on an angle to go into either the 8 or 9 (the highest possible openings). After a few games tonight with a young cousin, I was hoping to be able to find a set to buy on the internet. There's nothing so looks like I might have to copy the one I've got...though I'm not much of a woodworker. There's a couple of Australian websites that sell the wooden balls. They're quite cheap - just the postage that hurts.
Do you have any idea about the size of the cue used for the game?
Also, if I remember rightly, the two arms used to be hinged and needed to be swung out from the front oif the "stable" containing the nine appetures ?

RETIRED
9th September 2008, 03:42 PM
From memory the cue was about 3' long.

The Bleeder
9th September 2008, 04:32 PM
Alright now, having read this thread it seems that too many are playing with Bobs Balls and cue...:o Does this mean that glasses are now needed to find the camera to take some pics.....:no::B:C

Fun bit over...

My granddad had that game and it was fun to play. I would like to make one for my son....so how about it.....

Steve

Bluntles
9th September 2008, 07:12 PM
:2tsup::2tsup:
Many hearty Aussie thanks, ...

... and to Steve (after the measure of humour,,,
:aro-u::aro-u:
if you go back to earlier pages, the dimensions etc. are given by other
keen players (or those would like to be 'cued' in).

As for my plans I'm not sure if I'll go for the 25mm hardwood balls or the 32mm available from either of two Aussie suppliers (info also on earlier post pages). I haven't really thought out how to make this game (parts) foldable, but when worked out, will post information for others who may be interested.

Keith

tweed woody
9th September 2008, 08:25 PM
I have a ball making jig for my lathe, I will make the balls for you if you havent already got them. Easy to make, you can come to tweed and make them yourself if you like. TF

Ed Reiss
10th September 2008, 02:41 AM
This might not be exactly what BOBS is, but this is what I came up with by doing a Google search.

RETIRED
10th September 2008, 07:46 AM
Unfortunately not Ed.

The Bleeder
10th September 2008, 09:46 AM
Thanks Keith. I'm still trying (from my dad) to find any photos that were taken of us playing the game. It was a long time ago (35 years).

Steve

Bluntles
10th September 2008, 06:32 PM
Hi Tweedy,
Many thanks for your offer.
The two suppliers advertise these @ approx. 70 cents for the 25mm. ones and $1.00 for the 32mm.
Eleven such balls are needed, as I understand from the rules - one to be painted black and the other ten plain timber or alternatively white.
They need to be hardwood, and the postage factor is probably the greater cost.

I could not expect you to compete with the above prices, even on labour aspect alone. May have to go with the first option, as Emu Plains is snuggled at the base of the Blue Mountains in western Sydney.

Keith

illis_mum
4th October 2008, 12:15 PM
After finding your site looking for rules for Bobs for my sister, I then went looking for a site that sells them and found there was also a pic...

http://www.zestforlife.com.au/table_bobs.htm

Hope this satisfies a few people who are still in the dark, and thanks for the instructions, am sure my niece and nephew will be a new generation of out family who are introduced to the game :2tsup::U

Yeehah
4th October 2008, 12:28 PM
Hi, I've just gone through the process of registering JUST to give you kind people a bit of relief. Here are some links to places that sell table bobs online, although they are both in Australia:

http://www.zestforlife.com.au/gamesactivities.htm

http://www.3-plus.com.au/3-plus-recreational-games.htm

Both have pictures!!!!!!!

The reason I ended up here at your forum is that I am visiting my parents with my 10yo son, mum got out the old bobs set and son cleaned it up but wanted to know the rules, and a Google search pulled up this thread with the rules in it. Thanks, I now have the rules, so I thought I'd post the links as a thankyou.

RETIRED
4th October 2008, 06:58 PM
It only took 4 years to the day and numerous posts over those years to finally get a picture.:wink:

Well done.:D

texx
4th October 2008, 07:19 PM
i have a feeling i have seen wooden balls in a spotlight store ( the fabric place ) also a scrapbooking place could be worth a look

Manuka Jock
4th October 2008, 07:27 PM
Well , turns out I have played with gear like this :D
My sister had , and maybe still has a purpose built table , complete with the balls and stick

We had no rules , and no idea of it's name :p
Not so now eh

Teamwork eh lads , good skills all :2tsup:

I will have to check it out to find out the dimensions etc. And get a pic or two .

Jock

term
21st November 2008, 10:53 PM
hi QldWoodie, (http://www.woodworkforums.com/member.php?u=3876)

I have a Bobs set approx 35 plus years old still in the original box.
it is constructed of timber, has 10 apertures. but has hard plastic balls,
the rules are printed on the box as is the manufacturers name and details.
If you would like any other info you can e-mail me at [email protected]

Cheers Trev

Bobsy
7th December 2008, 01:35 PM
If anyone is interested I currently have a complete Bobs Set for sale on eBay. Made of wood - includes bobs alley, mallet, cue, 7 lacquered wooden balls & rules. It is in excellent as-good-as-new condition - hardly used. Comes in original box. Made in Australia.

Jemmo
19th July 2009, 11:30 AM
Been reading through this thread with interest.

Here are some more images of a Bob's set I recently found in an antique store recently together with another antique game called Bagatelle which is like the first versions of pin ball where you use a small crafted hammer to hit a marble along a channel and score points.

Even managed to get the kids off the computer long enough to have a go at each.

Both bring back great memories

texx
19th July 2009, 01:33 PM
gee that brings back memories i had a Bagatelle when i was a kid in the uk .
i think my uncle made it for me , he also made me a wooden castle and a garage style service station and 2 level car park for my matchbox cars.

kizzel
11th December 2012, 11:27 PM
Thank
I have the original bobs set my Mum and Dad bought I expect somewhere in the 50's. It is complete with the cue and 5 brown and 1 black wooden balls. One arm has fallen off but I have retained it also.I'm interested to hear what people think I should do with it. I see from this site many of you would probably offer to take it off my hands. It holds special memories of many fun family nights but what is the use of keeping it in a storage cupboard? Thankyou. :doh:

Hi Just wondering do you still have this game as I am interested in buying it.
Can you email me and let me know.
THanks
Kerry

kizzel
11th December 2012, 11:37 PM
Hi Tweedy,
Many thanks for your offer.
The two suppliers advertise these @ approx. 70 cents for the 25mm. ones and $1.00 for the 32mm.
Eleven such balls are needed, as I understand from the rules - one to be painted black and the other ten plain timber or alternatively white.
They need to be hardwood, and the postage factor is probably the greater cost.

I could not expect you to compete with the above prices, even on labour aspect alone. May have to go with the first option, as Emu Plains is snuggled at the base of the Blue Mountains in western Sydney.

Keith
Hi Keith
Can you give me details of the company that sells the bob's balls
Thanks
Kerry

ronallan
6th February 2020, 04:12 PM
I may be a bit late, QldWoodie.
I have today acquired an original boxed set of seven TRU-SHOT 1.5 inch BOBS BALLS (previously owned by Linda Salt, 52 Stevens St, Queenscliffe).

I joined the Woodwork Forum an hour ago so that I could reply to your post.

I am in Brisbane!

Ron
Tel 38784645

poundy
6th February 2020, 05:20 PM
it's 2020, and the last posts here were in 2012, and then 2009. Whoooo, we're glad you joined but I can't be sure anyone relevant to this thread will even see this. There's a string of users on this thread that haven't been around for a long time

LOOKING FOR BOB
16th August 2020, 11:26 AM
I may be a bit late, QldWoodie.
I have today acquired an original boxed set of seven TRU-SHOT 1.5 inch BOBS BALLS (previously owned by Linda Salt, 52 Stevens St, Queenscliffe).

I joined the Woodwork Forum an hour ago so that I could reply to your post.

I am in Brisbane!

Ron
Tel 38784645

Hi Ron,

Searching for BOBS Balls as I have inherited the frame and cue. Are the ones listed in Feb still available by chance please?

Cheers,
Nicole