PDA

View Full Version : HSC Major Project

Powerb
8th July 2010, 12:47 PM
Hey guys, been a while since I posted here last. Just wanted to get some opinions and ideas on my project so far.

Feel free to comment on any aspect, ask any questions, as it all will help to benefit me and my knowledge/understanding.

Attached are 2 images - one is a picture of he top half of the project, the other is a Google SketchUp image of the early concept (in which, the left piece is the bottom and realistic representation, and the right piece is the top half, which has had some changes made to it)

Cheers :)

------
EDIT: I also need to find an easy way to install drawers. Any help would be much appreciated (I'll be making the drawers myself)

wheelinround
8th July 2010, 02:42 PM
Good to see new ideas :2tsup:

Looking at the drawing I figure that the top part slide inside the other.

I am not sure if I'd have done that as its doubling up on materials if its separated or slide apart forming a double extendible unit then thats good.

How will you be securing attaching the two?

Finish?

Powerb
8th July 2010, 04:44 PM
Oh woops, it would of helped if I said that. The right half sits on top of the left half, so it forms a 'C' sort of shape.
They dont permanently go together. It can be used as one item, or two (like in the first sketchup image). When as one, it will like something like the attachment in this post (Book Nook.jpg).
There will be a locking piece where the two flat surfaces meet (see attachment) so the top piece does not move around, and I still need to purchase metal poles as supports for the other end.
For a finish, I'm 99% sure of white paint, with a sealing undercoat. Im looking for somewhere to get this professionally done, any suggestions?

wheelinround
8th July 2010, 07:07 PM
They used to be called "A Book Nook" somewhere to sit and read and relax if thats a cushion I make out.

Like it even more.

Good luck with the project and keep us posted.:2tsup:

artme
8th July 2010, 09:14 PM
Great concept there Powerb. :2tsup:

I like what you have done with the first part - it really looks ad though you have taken a lot of care with the workmanship.

As for finishing, why not find a friendly spray painter who can do a great job with 2 pack.??

My brother built a computer/ office desk and this was how he finished it Looks fabulous.

Powerb
9th July 2010, 01:33 PM
@Wheelin: Yup, the black is meant to be a cushion :) And I'm aware it is a book nook, but would like a better name than that to catually name it haha.

@artme: Thanks. thats actually the second part, I just don't have a complete photo of the first part for some reason! :doh: And I was thinking a spray painter, I need to find a good one.

Powerb
9th July 2010, 10:15 PM
Any ideas you guys may have about things I could add/do to the project would be much appreciated!

Powerb
14th July 2010, 04:11 PM
Bit of a bump.

Here's one of the ideas I had - its a flodout laptop table (or for whatever other uses you may need). The darker green is when its in use, and the light green shows when its folded away.

What do you guys think? It'll be 9mm MDF. Any other ideas? All welcome.

And if anybody has some simple drawer methods, I'm keen to hear them.

artme
14th July 2010, 07:20 PM
A couple of questions:

# Are you going to keep the supports at the right hand end, as shown in the previous sketch? I think you should.

# Are you sure there will be sufficient strength in the area where your back leans? I'm a bit worried bout that area. It seems to be a weak point.

Powerb
15th July 2010, 03:18 PM
Yeah, the supports will still be there. I was looking at chucking some wood on the lathe and doing some supports like that, but I'm just gonna stick with metal poles. They aren't permantly fixed anyway, so if I wanted I could change that when I got home...

Whereabouts do you mean? Top half, bottom half?

thebullfrog07
22nd July 2010, 02:08 PM
hi, i may have found it, been searching for this "Book nook" for so many months. Few questions.

1) is this the book nook of Better homes and gardens? If not they've copied you.
2) if so, how did you get ahold of the plans/magizine?
3) how thick is the MDF your using.

thanks

artme
22nd July 2010, 06:39 PM
Yeah, the supports will still be there. I was looking at chucking some wood on the lathe and doing some supports like that, but I'm just gonna stick with metal poles. They aren't permantly fixed anyway, so if I wanted I could change that when I got home...

Whereabouts do you mean? Top half, bottom half?

Bottom half, left hand side, Where you have the cushioning that your back rests against.

cultana
22nd July 2010, 10:41 PM
hi, i may have found it, been searching for this "Book nook" for so many months. Few questions.

1) is this the book nook of Better homes and gardens? If not they've copied you.
2) if so, how did you get ahold of the plans/magizine?
3) how thick is the MDF your using.

thanks

You referring to this one:

Funky book nook - Better Homes and Gardens Magazine Video - Yahoo!7 Lifestyle (http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/better-homes-gardens/tv/watch/-/7031940/funky-book-nook/)

thebullfrog07
23rd July 2010, 04:22 PM
i sure am, i have watched video upteen thousand times working out measurements from objects around etc, i cant find the plans on there website or anything

cultana
23rd July 2010, 11:58 PM
Have you tried contacting Better Homes and Gardens magazine?
I thought after each program details re plans was provided either via the web or the magazine.

To be honest it might look better in timber than painted MDF. But I am an anti MDF person so I may have a little bias there.:D
A nice book rest may be a nice addition and reading light, both on some form of flexible/swivel arm.

cultana
24th July 2010, 12:07 AM
i sure am, i have watched video upteen thousand times working out measurements from objects around etc, i cant find the plans on there website or anything

That TV segment was April 9.
BHG TV - April 9 - Better Homes & Gardens Magazine - Yahoo!7 Lifestyle (http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/better-homes-gardens/tv/episodes/article/-/7025459/bhg-tv-april-9/)

ALso at the bottom of that page it says:
More information on the segments seen in this episode can be found in the May issue of the magazine.

thebullfrog07
24th July 2010, 09:20 AM
cultana, omg, your a life saver! thanks, i've always looked for april issue and april pattern sheet (as its missing on BHG website) just downloaded may pattern sheet and there it is!

yeah, im thinking of adding a few of my own things and like to it, i have a 5200 piece lego 50x50x40 that i want to fit in there somehow, and i was thinking about getting how think a nice 2 pac.

thanks again

murray44
24th July 2010, 09:51 AM
Will there be doors on any of the compartments or are they all open?

I think one or two random doors would look good (and I'm sure you'll end up with at least one space with 'junk' in it that would look better hidden away.

I like the idea of the chrome poles for the supports on the RHS. You could then use a couple of chrome knobs (or some other fittings, cant think what) that would tie it all together.

Good job. :2tsup:

thebullfrog07
24th July 2010, 02:45 PM
thanks again, plans look easy to follow, what size screws do you use? sorry about invading your thread powerb

Powerb
25th July 2010, 08:26 PM
That'd be right. I forget to check for a few days and I get plenty of replies!

@artme: It won't be a short term problem. Over time though it may start to bend. If so, its simple to replace, or add supports (ie: dividers).

@thebullfrog: message me on here. yes, its based on the BHG design, and I have that issue magazine. If you are after those properties I'll scan that page for you if you want?

@murray: I was going to do 2 large drawers on either side of the bottom half (see attached), but due to an early mistake, one of the dividers wasn't square, and I don't have enough time left to do unsquare drawers before marking. I'll probably do some after marking though. I'm going to be doing 100mm drawers (height) on the TOP half of the project (see early attachments) on the right hand side (shelf). These will have shiny handles attached which match a project I did in year 10.

thebullfrog07
25th July 2010, 09:51 PM
thanks powerb, i've got plans now, i was just wondering what size screws you used?

Powerb
26th July 2010, 10:36 AM
32mm

thebullfrog07
26th July 2010, 05:35 PM
thanks for that, goodluck with your drawer idea, sounds good, okay- i got 8g x 30mm, should do job fine, with deep countersink.
Cut all my parts up today,. MDF is certainly nasty to deal with

Powerb
28th July 2010, 10:56 AM
I reckon its extremely easy. Then again, I didn't have to deal with cutting pieces to size...

thebullfrog07
28th July 2010, 12:54 PM
hence why it was easy for you, particles are so fine and nasty, dusk mask whilst cutting and sanding for me =) teacher wouldnt let anyone near it without one

Powerb
28th July 2010, 06:31 PM
Ok guys, so with trials coming up, there isn't enough time for much more practical work. I'll be doing a few hours this friday arvo, and hopefully then it will be finished (bar paint).
What do you guys think I should add to it after my school life is over? I'm keen on getting some larger drawers or even flip-fronts down the bottom. As well, some sort of foldout table would be nice. Any other ideas of what you would like to see me try and do in spare time?

Powerb
30th July 2010, 10:41 PM
Just an update as to where I'm at. Bought my last batch of MDF (for the drawers). Halfway through making them. Got plastic slides in place on one side. Got my poles cut to size, and pole supports in place on the bottom half.

Pic 30(005) - I put the project on its side and lay it on the floor. You can see where I have the plastic slides.
Pic 30(002) - Side of drawer
Pic 30(001) - Router setup, for mass routing (12 drawer sides)
Pic 27(005) - Foam on the bottom half (without fabric)

Powerb
4th September 2010, 07:01 PM
Gets marked tuesday!

Feels so good to have it finished. Even more excited to get it home and use it.

Good thing was, it went together! We set it up at home before taking it back in to school, and everything lined up - would of blown a*** if it didn't!

teakman
5th September 2010, 02:55 AM
has your school already started their majors?

Powerb
5th September 2010, 10:42 AM
I'm in year 12, so I've just finished :P
Our year 11's will be starting soon though. Technically, you aren't meant to begin until Term4, but in all honesty, you should. Get a design idea going, so in term 4 you can work on it and finalise a design, whilst getting plenty of folio done.

Powerb
14th September 2010, 06:38 PM
Hey guys. Its finished and marked (although we don't get these back until after HSC). Sorry that its taken so long to upload a pic, but here goes.

That was before we took it in to school for marking. Now its back home again and sitting in my room - so glad I never have to lift it again.

wheelinround
14th September 2010, 06:55 PM
Good luck with the mark.

Looks good only thing missing is heaps of woodworking books magazines dvd's etc:U

Oh and some more items from wood working:;

Powerb
14th September 2010, 08:27 PM
Haha yeah, now that school is almost over I really should get a subscription to some wood magazine, give me some good ideas for projects to take up in my free time.

Looking around my bedroom, I have a fair bit in use which I've made in DT. Got this MDP of course, then I have an "asian style coffee table" from year 10, a footstool, which I use like a bedside table, a wall-mount cd rack. I also use the toolbox from year9 to store other CD's in(you know those special twin disc ones, and the case is slightly thicker than a regular CD - they dont fit in my cdrack), as well as the medicine box I made in year 7, which holds the paint stirrer from year 8!

My next project is a bottlecap table!! I'll make a new thread on the general woodwork board, seeing as how it isn't school related!

artme
18th October 2010, 07:29 AM
Well done Mate!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I hope your marks are right up there as you certainly have pu in the effort.

Pity about the final photo - a bit out of focus but good enough to see you have done a great job.:):)

Powerb
7th March 2011, 01:44 PM
Bit of an update on the project;
The two poles have not provided enough support, and there is a nasty lean on the piece. I'm going to empty out the top half, and remove it, and use it as a long bedside table ( has shelves, and a large flat surface, what more could you ask for). So although it sucks that (for the time being) it can't stay as one piece (I'll eventually get around to strengthening the supports), it is a good thing I made it multi-functional and able to be taken apart into 2 parts.