PDA

View Full Version : Roman Colosseum

Edwards
9th July 2010, 03:54 PM
Following the Capitol Building project I decided on the Colosseum as it is a suitable shape for OT.
Its made again from Huon Pine.
Measures 74mm diam x 130mm high.
I'm looking at other ancient buildings and might do a series until a new direction path appears.

Cheers
Edwards

wheelinround
9th July 2010, 04:20 PM
Bronte inspiring work :2tsup:

It goes to show Ornamental Turning isn't dead just growing, even with CNC fellows still doing it.

Careful of the Tower of Pisa :U if thats a choice :;

dogcatcher
10th July 2010, 11:56 AM
This stuff just amazes me, thanks for posting it.

artme
10th July 2010, 12:29 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Probably a bit draughty with that section of wall missing!:D:p

Edwards
10th July 2010, 12:51 PM

It goes to show Ornamental Turning isn't dead just growing, even with CNC fellows still doing it.

Thanks Ray,
A little later I might put something up where I reckon OT design work can be best applied to well formed woodturning. That is,enhance woodturning rather than belt it with enless OT cuts and grooves. The artistic value has to remain. Not ugly dust catches that sometimes appear from over excitable mechanical manipulation that we are very proud of.
Cheers
Edwards

wheelinround
10th July 2010, 02:46 PM
Thanks Ray,
A little later I might put something up where I reckon OT design work can be best applied to well formed woodturning. That is,enhance woodturning rather than belt it with enless OT cuts and grooves. The artistic value has to remain. Not ugly dust catches that sometimes appear from over excitable mechanical manipulation that we are very proud of.
Cheers
Edwards

Bronte well said I agree totally over working can detract from an already good piece and if its there to hide mistakes or brighten a plain timber to much can ruin it.

Ray

Edwards
15th July 2010, 03:41 PM

Well Ray that got me thinking and pulled out photos I have of the Tower and its a perfect challenge. I have started to sketch it up but have noticed there is a lot of detail in the top section which will be testing.
I have placed an order for a few cutters needed and hope to have something to show in a couple of weeks.

Cheers
Edwards:)

wheelinround
15th July 2010, 05:39 PM
Well Ray that got me thinking and pulled out photos I have of the Tower and its a perfect challenge. I have started to sketch it up but have noticed there is a lot of detail in the top section which will be testing.
I have placed an order for a few cutters needed and hope to have something to show in a couple of weeks.

Cheers
Edwards:)

:U A challenge eh :doh: now how do I compete with that Bronte .........says he who still has yet to make contraption to even start. The Universal Cutting head is looking good as a quick fix and progress from there I think. At least I can do something then.

Look forward to seeing the finished item Bronte.:2tsup::2tsup: