PDA

View Full Version : Hey Hughie not a U tube

wheelinround
12th July 2010, 10:49 PM
Now this is cool a gouge you can rotate when one area goes dull.
Attach an extraction hose the the back end and a cleaner floor :o He did last few photo's http://picasaweb.google.com/svendus/SundayWoodturning#
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_UhknGHIcBaE/Rp3cmI1w2jI/AAAAAAAAAp0/oKnbLluT4Rw/Sunday%20Woodturning%20%2840%29.jpg

wheelinround
12th July 2010, 10:53 PM
:o looked into his stuff more

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_UhknGHIcBaE/Rp3cgo1w2MI/AAAAAAAAAm8/rt1Q_v3KYN0/Sunday%20Woodturning%20%282%29.jpg

Manuka Jock
12th July 2010, 10:58 PM
" The secret is a 40mm horse at the handle " :D

I like them .
Do they come with sharpening jigs I wonder , especially the 'loop tool' ?

issatree
13th July 2010, 11:29 AM
Hi Wheelin,
A Chap down here in Geelong, Jock Golding of " Golding Lathes " made a Roughing Gouge almost similar to that one.
About 1 1/4in across x 2 1/2in long & a welded 1/2in. Rd Bar with a couple of bends in it, so that the handle was in the centre.
The Steel was only Case Hardened, but it worked.
The beauty of this Gouge was, all the Shavings went down down the Hole, & not in ones face.
There are still a few around.
Funny to try & Sharpen, by hand that is.
Jock only made them, & to my knowledge, another man designed them.

I've just thought, Neil may have one of these in their Collection ?.
He used " Golding Lathes " when he taught Woodturning, all those Years ago.
Some may remember, " The Welshman Reef Swap Meets ".
What Great Days they were. Up to 4000 people from 8am. till approx. 1.45pm.
& all Thanks to Neil & Pauline, & Family.
Regards.
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

hughie
13th July 2010, 07:04 PM
Ray I've got a bit of hardened steel tube you can have a go at around that size.:U

Cliff Rogers
13th July 2010, 07:16 PM
Ray I've got a bit of hardened steel tube you can have a go at around that size.:U
How much have you got?

I'm game.

artme
13th July 2010, 07:29 PM
Seems to be a pair of logical designs to me. I will bet, however, that if I turned up at the club with either I would get a severe talking to.!!

wheelinround
13th July 2010, 09:54 PM

I have two sizes of molly tube Hughie 25 & 30 I think they are x 3mm wall. I have been told to cut in half will make good gouges while ago.

hughie
13th July 2010, 11:23 PM
Well there you go Ray. :U

Cliff, I get it from time to time, don't have a lot of use for it other than this idea. Oh I made one into a light weight Ripsnorter shaft for Pat.
The dimensions are 25mm od 16mm id and 300mm long normally its around 400-500mm.
PM me if your interested

SawDustSniffer
20th July 2010, 12:33 AM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/new-tool-74229/index6.html
thought i saw this idea in my shed 3 1/2 years ago , it works well :2tsup:

hughie
20th July 2010, 09:07 AM
Yes I caught up with the idea a couple of years back on a US wood working site. The guy used a piece of water pipe to demo the concept and it worked well other than not holding an edge.

Have sent Cliff a chunk of harden tube be interesting to see what he makes of it.

My thoughts are it wont be very successful on wet timber due to clogging down the barrel. But on dry should do OK, especially with a vac attached

Phil Spencer
20th July 2010, 09:11 AM
Gun Barrels (Shot Gun) work well

hughie
20th July 2010, 09:17 AM
Gun Barrels (Shot Gun) work well

both barrels :U

SawDustSniffer
20th July 2010, 07:25 PM
found that green "mango" clogged the vacuum pipe ,its the only timber i had a problem with