PDA

View Full Version : camphor bowl

texx
15th July 2010, 07:26 PM
thought i would knock up a bowl this afternoon just for some thing different from pen turning and to use up one of the blanks i bought from the brisbane www show .
the blank was about the biggest i can get on my little pen lathe without carting my tools up to the other shed where the bigger lathe lives ,
its 100 h x 190 dia .
after i had finished i had a bigger pile of ribbons ( mess ) around me than if i had turned a hundred pens .

artme
15th July 2010, 07:32 PM
Neat job on a nice piece of Camphor!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

A pile of ribbons - you must be turning the "right way".:q:q

John T
15th July 2010, 08:08 PM
hi Texx looks a very nice bowl :2tsup::2tsup: iwish we could get some camphor down in tasmania. john T

mkypenturner
15th July 2010, 08:10 PM
nice piece of camphor texx:2tsup: what did you finish it with ??

texx
15th July 2010, 08:24 PM
nice piece of camphor texx:2tsup: what did you finish it with ??
u'beaut glow then a coat of ubeaut trad wax

Manuka Jock
15th July 2010, 08:55 PM
Good looking bowl Texx , great finish too :2tsup:

Hey guys ,
one of our blokes has been cutting camphor blanks on the bandsaw down at the club .
First time I had come across it .
I was looking at the offcuts and wondering if they would do ok turned into little hanging thingys for putting in wardrobes .
Does it work the same as mothballs ?

texx
15th July 2010, 09:11 PM
Good looking bowl Texx , great finish too :2tsup:

Hey guys ,
one of our blokes has been cutting camphor blanks on the bandsaw down at the club .
First time I had come across it .
I was looking at the offcuts and wondering if they would do ok turned into little hanging thingys for putting in wardrobes .
Does it work the same as mothballs ?

dont think so the reproductive organs of a male moth aint made of wood

hooppine
15th July 2010, 09:20 PM
Huon pine dust and chips works ok in those moth ball thingys. It does not leave any unpleasant odours. The smell of huon pine could never be described IMHO as unpleasant. I have small pieces all around to remind me of our last trip to Tassie.

Manuka Jock
15th July 2010, 10:05 PM
dont think so the reproductive organs of a male moth aint made of wood
You sure ? they eat a lot of trees over here :D

Manuka Jock
15th July 2010, 10:11 PM
Huon pine dust and chips works ok in those moth ball thingys. It does not leave any unpleasant odours. The smell of huon pine could never be described IMHO as unpleasant. I have small pieces all around to remind me of our last trip to Tassie.
I don't think we have Huon pine on this side of the ditch .
I'm not talking about turning a hollow ball and putting stuff in it . I am talking about a solid piece of camphor wood .
The moth balls I was referring to are the old style white crystalline camphor mothballs .

Sawdust Maker
15th July 2010, 10:54 PM
Texx

v v nice bowl - more shacongs is I suggest because all te middle ends up on the floor. I reckon your sinuses would be clear a the end of any CL bowl

MJ
Camphor Laurel will work in your suggested idea
me wif has bought camphor balls which were nothing less then camphor laurel wooden balls about an inch in diameter. I suggested she could use my offcuts and I'd charge less per packet and got that unimpressed look :doh::o

Manuka Jock
15th July 2010, 11:17 PM
MJ
Camphor Laurel will work in your suggested idea
me wif has bought camphor balls which were nothing less then camphor laurel wooden balls about an inch in diameter. I suggested she could use my offcuts and I'd charge less per packet and got that unimpressed look :doh::o

Thanks mate , I'll give them a go , and see how they sell .

" Moths Balls Moths Balls , get your Moths Balls here " :U

Rum Pig
16th July 2010, 09:00 AM
Nice bowl Texx well done :2tsup::2tsup:
I think CL is one of my favourite timbers to turn and the smell is a pleasant change.
I can not help but think how many pen blanks you could have turned out of that:rolleyes::U

texx
16th July 2010, 09:23 AM
Nice bowl Texx well done :2tsup::2tsup:
I think CL is one of my favourite timbers to turn and the smell is a pleasant change.
I can not help but think how many pen blanks you could have turned out of that:rolleyes::U
about twice this many mate the other half of the pile is on the floor and i used my aldi vac and cleaned the bench area up before i started the bowl ..wish i could afford one of those bowl saver jiggamy things

Manuka Jock
16th July 2010, 09:30 AM
..wish i could afford one of those bowl saver jiggamy things
They are the business thats for sure . I have just stared using the one down at the club , and its not only wood that they save . Time as well , plus continuity in bowl sizes . Not just nests of bowls , but same capacity tableware sets .