PDA

View Full Version : Porrige stick (spirtle)

bowl-basher
18th July 2010, 11:19 AM
G'Day All
I have a request for a couple of Porrige sticks (spirtles) not sure of the spelling.... The main reaon for this post is to ask if some one can tell me the usual dimensions of one of these things and are they usualy plain or fancy
Thanks
Bowl Basher

wheelinround
18th July 2010, 11:24 AM
Google images :2tsup: (http://www.google.com.au/images?hl=en&source=imghp&q=porridge+spurtles&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=)

Ed Reiss
18th July 2010, 11:48 AM
just don't run with them BB...could wind up putting an eye out:doh::C

Tim the Timber Turner
18th July 2010, 11:57 AM
25x25x300mm. Main shaft 15-18mm, a bit of decoration on the handle end. The other end rounded to get into corner of the pot.

Cheers

Tim:)

Manuka Jock
18th July 2010, 12:48 PM
Spurtles are best if they are the same length as the wooden spoons that the person uses . The same pots are being used in the kitchen eh
The top ? A traditional shape is a basic thistle shape . It gives a good grip too .
Balanced dimensions after that .
There is some debate as to whether the bottom end about be flat across , domed or gently curved .
Considering that the bottom and sides of the pot should not be scraped with the porridge stick , it matters little.
However it is parted off the lathe at the time I 'spose :U

bowl-basher
18th July 2010, 05:52 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
THANKS ALL

Manuka Jock
22nd July 2010, 03:48 PM
ya got that porridge cooked yet BB ? :)

wheelinround
22nd July 2010, 06:09 PM
he decided to stir it he'd throw the pan on a chuck and spin it on the lathe :U

Manuka Jock
22nd July 2010, 06:17 PM
thats good , it'll make it smooth :2tsup:
I can't stomach lumpy porridge

artme
22nd July 2010, 06:35 PM
thats good , it'll make it smooth :2tsup:
I can't stomach lumpy porridge

WOT??? You object to those chewy, sticky lumps that get caught in your teeth?? No sense of adventure or taste!:D:p

Manuka Jock
22nd July 2010, 06:53 PM
teef , wot teef ? :U

bowl-basher
23rd July 2010, 10:35 AM
:harhar::harhar:
I had to make the salt mill first so I can salt the porridge and then a bowl to eat it from when I make the spurtle to cook it with
I certainly would not use my good chuck to stir/spin porrige and my McJing special is in use with a lump of wood to turn the salt mill
oh dear oh me I think this could be a a major project:B:B:B:B
Bowl Basher

Manuka Jock
23rd July 2010, 10:51 AM
Bugga , toast for breakfast yet again :((

issatree
23rd July 2010, 06:37 PM
Hi bowl-basher,
I make a lot of Spurtles for the Market.
Some have to be longer than others. The reason is, how high are the sides of the pots.
If they are to long they fall out & could catch fire.
Length is around 8 - 9 in. approx. 230mm. & mainly 1/2in./ 13mm.
If you Google " Wooden Spurtles" you will most likely get some Designs.
The 3 Tops Ends I turn mainly, are a Scotch Thistle, English Acorn & the Australian Gum Nut.
Myrtle is not a good wood to use, as when it gets wet it raises the grain. Nor is Red Gum or Jarrah.
Oak is very good. Cypress, but not Murray Pine Cypress. Cotoneaster, Blackwood.
Osage Orange, Hawthorn, Cherry, Apple, Pear & so on.
I finish mine with Soy Bean Oil & Beeswax, (S-B O,Health Food Shop) not Canola, Not Olive, Grapeseed is good also. Hope that Helps.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

robo hippy
29th July 2010, 01:07 PM
Do you know the story behind the Scottish thistle? It is good for sales and a laugh. I don't have the exact details, but Norway was invading around 1200, and they were doing a night time sneak attack. The soldiers were ordered to take off their boots, and some one stepped on a thistle and let out a yelp that gave away the sneak attack.

robo hippy

Manuka Jock
29th July 2010, 01:22 PM
Yep , an oldie but a goodie , said to be the Battle of Largs
Its an old legend , which may or may not be true , but a good one for all that :2tsup:

The thistle has been the national emblem of Scotland since the reign of Alexander III (1249 - 1286) and was used on silver coins issued by James III in 1470. According to the legend, an invading Norse army was attempting to sneak up at night upon a Scots army encampment. During this operation one barefoot Norseman had the misfortune to step upon a Scots Thistle, causing him to cry out in pain, thus alerting Scots to the presence of the Norse invaders. Some sources suggest the specific occasion was the Battle of Largs, which marked the beginning of the departure of the King Haakon IV (Haakon the Elder) of Norway who, having control of the Northern Isles and Hebrides, had harried the coast of the Kingdom of Scotland for some years.[7] Which species of thistle is referred to in the original legend is disputed. Popular modern usage favours Onopordum acanthium, perhaps because of its more imposing appearance, though it is unlikely to have occurred in Scotland in mediaeval times; the Spear Thistle Cirsium vulgare, an abundant native species in Scotland, is a more likely candidate.[8][9] Other species, including Dwarf Thistle Cirsium acaule, Musk Thistle Carduus nutans, and Melancholy Thistle Cirsium heterophyllum have also been suggested.[10]
Onopordum acanthium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onopordum_acanthium)