PDA

View Full Version : A Different Request

HazzaB
23rd July 2010, 11:08 AM
Hey There,

I have a client who asked if I could make some mounts to display some bits from his Aeroplane, I said " I'll try anything Once, Twice if i like it " so he brought in a Crank Shaft and a Propellor Blade. I had a play around and spun up a piece of Jarrah to mount the Crank, he wanted it to stand up. I eneded up making it 300mm (12 inch) dia as it was a bit top heavy, I still have to get a couple of bolts and set them into the bottom and am thinking of doing some wooden caps to cover the exposed threads in the Flange. Finished with EEE. I'll have a play with the Prop on the Weekend.

Thanks for looking

BobL
23rd July 2010, 11:45 AM
Look good!

Next time you have to display something cylindrical like ,that think about this (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/display-case-cricket-bat-74855/) approach.

How big is the prop?

Ed Reiss
23rd July 2010, 12:03 PM
Spiffy!!

Manuka Jock
23rd July 2010, 12:53 PM
The crank looks good Hazza :2tsup:

are ya gonna mount the prop on the lathe ? :U

artme
23rd July 2010, 06:58 PM
Noice!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

The crank looks good Hazza :2tsup:

are ya gonna mount the prop on the lathe ? :U

Derfiggenfuhrerwoodenwerker!!!:p:p

Might set a trend that will take off!:rolleyes:

Durdge39
23rd July 2010, 08:16 PM
Ah, if only the crankshafts were that spiffy and clean inside the engine, and not covered in black, burnt-smelling oil. Takes 3 days to get that crap out of the fingerprints. :D

Only a small baby, looks to be out of a Continental O-200? What sort of aeroplane does/did he have/had?

Back on topic: looking nice so far, will be interesting to see how you go with the prop, that might be a wee prop, but they are a reasonably heavy chunk of alloy. Will be watching.

Tom.

HazzaB
1st August 2010, 03:16 PM
Hey There,

Finished off the Prop, this morning, also got to use some of my Makers Marks that Len (Lasersharp engraving) made me.

HazzaB

stuffy
1st August 2010, 03:34 PM
Nice work Harry!
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

You've found a good balance between form and function. They are attractive without taking attention away from what they are displaying. I really like that black spot Jarrah.
:)

Steve

artme
1st August 2010, 05:00 PM
Nice work Hazza!!:):):)

Manuka Jock
1st August 2010, 05:08 PM
Well done mate :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
3rd August 2010, 09:32 PM
good stuff
you've done good :2tsup::2tsup: