PDA

View Full Version : new to all this wood stuff

burra burri
24th July 2010, 12:06 AM
hello there. i have a block of dirt in southern qld and am in the middle of pushing down some scrub , but i ot thinking its a bit of waste just burning it when someone out there in wood work land could use this wood to make stuff. the predominant tree is acacia julifera, ( max size about 6 inches ) . the other wood is spotted gum , there is some iron bark ( broad leaf) some yellow jack and some cyprus. can anyone tell me what there experiences are with cutting/storing this wood.

NeilS
24th July 2010, 12:26 PM
My great grandfather 'pushed down some scrub', but that was the 19 century and this is the 21st century.

So I'll have to pass on this one as every item I sell carries a certification that....

All pieces are made from recycled or rescued wood

In support of the planet, no wood has been harvested

from native vegetation

burra burri
24th July 2010, 07:21 PM
as above

TTIT
24th July 2010, 11:26 PM
If it's gotta come down ya might as well make use of it :shrug: Don't know about acacia julifera (except that I wouldn't mind a piece for my collection :; ) but there's nothing wrong with the spotted gum, particularly for construction work and the Yellowjack is much the same. Haven't done anything with the ironbark but there's sure to be someone here that has. The cypress has it's good and bad points but I like it anyway - not much chop for turning but works well in board form as long as you're prepared to drill and screw instead of nail it.
Your main problem will be the 'pushing' bit - need to get off the dozer and fell them or they'll be too badly split to mill :shrug:

burra burri
25th July 2010, 12:17 AM
thanks mate,thats the most usefull answer yet. will keep you posted when i have some ready ( wood ).

Ed Reiss
25th July 2010, 11:59 AM
Hi Burra Burri, and welcome to the mad house:U

...as you have probably guessed by now, there are disparet (spelling?) opinions on wood, woodturning, woodworking, etc., here, just like in "real life" situations :o:D

HarryD
25th July 2010, 11:14 PM
Hi Burra Burri,
I am a member of the International Wood collecters society I am able to put you in touch with some Southern Qld members who may be intersted in some of the woods you are clearing. I am sure some of your wood could be put to good use,
I too would like a piece of Ac julifera approx 50mm X 50mm by 200 mm long or just a round limb about 60mm diam 200mm long for my collection.
As TTIT says spotted gum is great stong hardwood I recently milled some for my Sister at Currumbin valley for veranda post & beams. needed to band it to stop it distorting whilst it dried. The ironbark is also good structural timber and great to turn.
Be a shame to burn it all
Kind Regards
Harry D