PDA

View Full Version : Wood Flask

Ĝistein
27th July 2010, 04:15 AM
Hi all.
This flask was made as a gift to one of my second cousin in Canada when he was 50 years in July 3rd. 2010.
The flask is made from Beech and the top, cups and the foot is made from Burmese Teak, The flask is 135 mm in diameter, and the total hight with the top is 200 mm, the cup´s is 40 mm in diameter. Both the flask and the cups are treated inside with epoxy, The flask and top is treated outside with finishing oil.

The Teak have layed as the original deck onboard at Bergen´s pride the old barque "SS Statsraad Lehmkuhl" (<!-- m -->http://www.lehmkuhl.no (http://www.lehmkuhl.no/)<!-- m -->), she was built in Bremerhaven, Germany between 1912 and 1914 for the German Merchant Navy.

Rifleman1776
27th July 2010, 04:58 AM
Very nifty flask, great turning and a wonderful gift.
Congrats on everything. :2tsup:

mkypenturner
27th July 2010, 06:30 AM
thats a great flask :2tsup: and a story to with it is amazing

Allen Neighbors
27th July 2010, 11:15 AM
It'll be worth a fortune to his kids and Grandkids, later on. Very well done! Great story, too!

Ed Reiss
27th July 2010, 12:35 PM
A very thoughtful gift...nicely done:2tsup:

hughie
27th July 2010, 12:36 PM
great idea and gift. especially the history behind the timber. :2tsup:

artme
27th July 2010, 02:57 PM
Have to agree with what that lot :aro-u: has said!!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

powderpost
27th July 2010, 09:38 PM
I love it. Hope you don't mind if I use the idea. Got an old mate that likes whiskey. That would be a nice variation on a keg.
Jim

Michael Spain
27th July 2010, 10:29 PM
Hi Oistein, very good pieces and also good the history, congratulations. Greetings:cheers2:

Enfield Guy
27th July 2010, 11:08 PM
Great work. A credit to you. The history of the timber is fantastic as well.

Cheers

Ĝistein
28th July 2010, 01:35 AM
I love it. Hope you don't mind if I use the idea. Got an old mate that likes whiskey. That would be a nice variation on a keg.
Jim

You are welcome to use this idea Jim. But notice this; I use 3 layers of epoxy inside the flask so it will be tight.

Ĝistein

Allen Neighbors
28th July 2010, 11:00 AM
Do those shot glasses just ... sort of a compression fit together, one inside the other, from both sides of the flask? Duh! I feel stupid, but this is the first time I've ever seen anything like this...

Ĝistein
28th July 2010, 04:31 PM
Do those shot glasses just ... sort of a compression fit together, one inside the other, from both sides of the flask? Duh! I feel stupid, but this is the first time I've ever seen anything like this...

You don´t need to feel stupid Allen. Your chain of thought are right about shot glasses. I make them this way:

The hole in the flask is drilled to 40 mm in diameter.
One of the shot glasses is drilled with a 35 mm Forstener bit and turned and sanded to fit inside the fask, and the other is drilled with a 30 mm Forstener bit and then turned and sanded to fit inside the first one. Good luck Allen.

Ĝistein

Allen Neighbors
29th July 2010, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate it.

Ĝistein
16th August 2010, 05:20 AM
To all of you who wondered how I do make the woodflask. Now I have uppgraded my website The Woodpecker´s Workshop at www.flisespikkeriet.biz (http://www.flisespikkeriet.biz) where you can find a "How to make" a flask.

orraloon
17th August 2010, 02:20 PM
Hi Oistein,
Thanks for posting the construction method for that nice flask. I will use that idea one day.
I had a look at the rest of you're site and noticed you were on supply ships in the north sea. I did 10 years on supply ships with 5 of then in the north sea, so I know where you are coming from. There are few things more calm than turning a nice bit if wood.
Regards
John